Internet Immigrants

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Thanks Guys

ETO has always been good to me. I just need a breath of fresh air to experience new pastures. And this is a very good place to start :)

Regards,
tvtech

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Hi Matt

Yes, I have been lucky. Let's just say this is my time out from ETO while they work things out. I still love the Forum but they must find out ways to both attract and keep members.

And that they need to figure out themselves.

I sense a fight/discussion there that I would rather not be part of. So until that is all sorted....I will simply be on sabbatical here. And enjoy the time :cool:

Heck, just maybe, I meet lots of good people here and decide to stay a little longer :) who knows?

Your friend,
tvtech

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I can relate to that very well.

IMHO they have one old moderator that needs to go and good honest revamp and clarification of site rules would do wonders for them although as any good politicians they seem to be fiercely focused on fixing/fixating on everything that is not the problem. :(

Yea I like it here too! Still not used to seeing a thread pop up and it get 10 relies (and fairly good ones at that) in its first few hours though.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Just a comment.

Let's keep this thread "Who are you?" for what it was intended, i.e. for members to introduce themselves.

I suggest that this discussion be moved elsewhere but as someone suggested we are not interested in what goes on in our neighbor's backyard.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Just a comment.

Let's keep this thread "Who are you?" for what it was intended, i.e. for members to introduce themselves.

I suggest that this discussion be moved elsewhere but as someone suggested we are not interested in what goes on in our neighbor's backyard.
You're absolutely right MrChips. My apologies for bringing this thread off-topic (again). I will try to refrain from doing so from now on. ;)

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You're right. I meant to do so, but I couldn't find a suitable subject title. I'll try harder.

I also want to handle this split thread a bit differently.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Okay, I found a suitable title, copied all of the related posts here and deleted most of the duplicates in the old "Who are you" thread.
The discussion can be continued here.

Here is what I'd like to add:
It seems that an important issue has risen over at ETO and people are talking about it right now. I haven't understood what this issue is exactly.
It also seems that this issue is important for our new members as well and they want to discuss it with people who ca relate. No problem there, none at all.

What I don't want to see is people coming here in AAC to find a safe haven from which they can fling mud towards ETO people. This is a very petty, cowardly and unethical action, which will be censored.

So, place your healthy criticism and by doing so, help us become a better forum. In short, play nice.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Even I could be called an immigrant over here.
I have had some bad experiences on other electronics forum before I moved here.
Both forum where administrated by dutch people.

Bertus

tvtech

Joined Mar 18, 2012
Hi Guys

I have no say here as a "Newbie".

I have a suggestion though:

Maybe an area though where Members can moan and groan and talk and grind their teeth.

Without it affecting the rest of the Forum...ETO hit the button spot on with the " disputes thread". Worked exceptionally well for me.

So, learning a bit here and learning a bit there. Trying to help all good Forums understand the huge issues and balancing acts required to keep things flowing .

If you think about it, it almost like playing a silly computer game. Not silly...but you get what I am trying to say.....Strategic games are the best...

Be it ETO or AAC...both are excellent Forums....huge Membership Worldwide..

One Forum is gaining Members...the other is loosing Members....why?

Complicated question.

Regards,
tvtech

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Yes, I know, but not when I entered the forum.
I am also a moderator on a very small dutch electronics forum.
It is almost reaching the 6500 members.

Bertus

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
tvtech, the "Disputes Thread" at ETO is for discussing moderation with the moderators only. It is not a public forum, and is only there in case there are disagreements with something a moderator or moderators did. Seeing as that rarely happens here, I don't think we need one, at least in my opinion.

Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
By experience, I can tell you that if you let members have arguments on each others' abilities or quotes, it is certain that they will devolve onto all out fights. Are you describing a subforum where flaming is allowed, just for the sake of closure and seeing things to an end?

This almost always leads to sore hearts and at least one party leaving the forum for a period of time.

This doesn't sound like a very good idea. I think that others could verify my experiences on the matter.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
tvtech, the "Disputes Thread" at ETO is for discussing moderation with the moderators only. It is not a public forum, and is only there in case there are disagreements with something a moderator or moderators did. Seeing as that rarely happens here, I don't think we need one, at least in my opinion.

Matt
If it's about private disputes between members and moderators about moderation options, this is done very frequently via Personal Messages.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the move! I was hoping this would get transplanted someplace more fitting.:)

I don't think anyone is really ETO bashing but more letting their opinions out where they can be seen by other present and former ETO members who had similar less tasteful run ins with moderators and their highly vague/variably interpreted rule enforcement over there. Sort of Black book note comparing in a way.

I think a bit of the sour feelings being shown simply is how most of us ETO migrants felt from getting told and told again that we are the only person with XYZ problem yet all indications and now present opinion sharing strongly says it was otherwise and then some and had been that way for some time.

As those here who moderate this forum hopefully understand a bit better just tossing the ban hammer at people deleting their threads, posts or heavily editing what parts of their threads and posts you disagree with as personal opinion and calling it rule enforcement even though there is and never has been such rule does not resolve the actual issues at hand. If anything it just tends to make more people start comparing notes in places you have no control over like other forums which in the end it just makes the site look poorly managed.

I don't think ETO is a terrible site by any means however given the mass migration of formerly highly active members from there to here, and the common topic that I seem to have stirred up, to me this simply suggests that more than just a few of us 'unruly trouble makers' had similar negative experiences over things that shouldn't have been issues to begin with.

That's how I see things in a way.

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Personally I had a big issue with that system.

Namely being told to take my dispute with one moderator over there then getting banned for weeks at a time by him before I could ever get my first reply in. :mad:

I did not see the point of being told,"hey take your complaint over here in private where the rest of the public does not have to see it" then being immediately tossed out before I could even get there.

To me that came off as very shallow and underhanded moderation tactics which I came to find was done to a good number of people more than once.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
So, primarily, you had a problem of transparency of actions and decisions.
I think we do pretty good on that sector around here.

Tell you what. Hang around here for a couple of months and see how things work. You may find that some of the problems you worry about may be already solved here. Or not. But give it some time.

I would love both of you to revive this thread in two months' time and give us a review.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I've not moved, I'm a member of both forums. It's because I need twice the help. Both forums have their own rules and regulars, which make them different but, accomplishing the same task.

Like #12 said in an earlier post, I became a member of ETO with Zero knowledge how a Forum worked. I didn't know what a Troll was, I didn't know it's proper to introduce oneself the Community or declare my location.

I felt like the one time poster, I just wanted an answer to a question. Needless to say I thought I was getting my head bit off, when in looking back at the situation. I didn't realize how complex electronics can be and the people who know it, talk in a language that has to be learned over time.

They couldn't help me in the beginning because (People who know electronics) don't know how to communicate to (Ignorance) intelligently or making people feel stupid. I've seen so many member try and it doesn't alway's work out.

So, for 4 years and or until I get tired of trying to learn electronics I'll be a member of both forums, learning the language art of electronics.