Impact force measuring sensor

DZ92

Joined May 29, 2021
Hi all!
I dont know much about sensors or hardware in general (Im a computer science student) so I would really appreciate some help here :)
I am looking for a flexible impact force sensor (for measuring a punch) , it needs to be around 10X10 cm and I want to connect it to Arduino or raspberry pi.
Can anyone point me to a site that sells what im looking for?
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
A Google of "flexible force sensor" should get you a wide range of force sensors. Then it becomes a matter of deciding what will best fit in your application like round or square and the size. 10 X 10 cm is pretty small so you may also want to look at strain gauges. Be it a flexible force sensor or strain gauge once you have something that fits your design then I would think about making it part of a bridge circuit. A Google of strain gauge bridge circuits should yield some results. Then the amplified output can be connected to either an Arduino or Raspberry Pi but since a Pi has no analog input you will need to add one. Next if you really need to accurately measure the force of a punch you will need a means to calibrate things to measure your chosen units of force. Also, a nice addition would be to chart the punch force. The force of a punch much like the recoil of a rifle will have a peak force and would be interesting to chart. That is just simple data logging. Before I forget using either Arduino or Pi I would consider an ADS1115 for an analog front end input.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thinking further about this you are sure you want to measure the force of a punch using a flexible sensor? If I punch a flexible surface, one that has "give" I am not going to measure the actual force of the impact. If I want to measure actual force of the punch I would be hitting a hard surface and using an accelerometer having a sensitivity of mV/g something along these lines. As can be seen the newer versions have digital outputs making them very micro-processor (Arduino) friendly.

Ron