"udemy" IT technical courses - have an impact for perception of employee

FlyingDutch

Joined Mar 16, 2021
Hello Forum,

I want to ask if completing the "udemy" technical courses and obtaining a certificate of completion, impact the employer's perception of the employee. I found several of these courses interesting from the point of view of my work. For example, I have finished such courses:

ARM Assembly Language From Ground Up™ 1
x86 Assembly Language Programming From Ground Up™
Mastering Microcontroller and Embedded Driver Development
Function Acceleration on FPGA with Vitis-Part 1: Fundamental
FPGA Embedded Design, Part 4 - Microprocessor Design

Write Your Own Operating System From Scratch - Step by Step
PLC Programming - Structured Programming and Design Patterns

I have dealt with these topics before, but these courses introduced a lot of new things that I didn't know before. Working with the source code of the projects was particularly important and interesting (especially programs in x64 assembly: FPU usage, MMX instructions, SSE Extensions, Advanced Vector Extensions). I am wondering if from an employer's perception completing such courses matters at all?
What is your opinion - please share it with me.

Best Regards

NOD NOTE: Removed residual link.

Last edited by a moderator:

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I can't answer about Udemy specifically, but in general you need to be very careful about any of these 'certifications' (or, in many cases, conferred degrees). In many, perhaps even most, cases they have zero value to an employer and, in some cases, can be seen as a negative. This is not to say that there aren't some that are worthwhile or seen as a positive on your resume.

There's also no single one-answer-fits-all. What certs are seen as valuable to in one industry are unknown or even frowned upon in another. This is often the result of guilt-by-association. A cert-issuing organization is often times not a homogeneous outfit and so they may have some certs that have established a good reputation while other certs have a bad one -- just like different degree-granting departments at the same university can have drastically different reputations. So if you get a good cert from some outfit, but the employer is only aware of the outfit's bad reputation due to other certs, that can hurt you.

I would recommend calling a handful of employers that you would like to work for and talk to them about their recommendations. Another option is to go to professional meetings related to that industry -- these can not only be a good source of information about what is and what is not valuable (or expected/required), but also a way to start networking with people working in the field you want to enter.

Now, aside from how employers view some certification, there's the question of how YOU feel about what you learned. Based on your description, it sounds like you feel you got quite a bit out of them. If you paid for them, consider if you felt you got your money's worth. If so, then you're ahead.

Regardless of whatever certs you might have, at the end of the day, those are just bits of paper (or bits of, well, bits). You want to be able to convince prospective employers that you actually possess the skills that go along with them. That can often be done by picking some project that highlights those skills, doing that project, and then giving some thought to an "elevator pitch" aimed at convincing someone that you know what you are doing.