How to make my delay relay circuit latch?

Aikju (Isaac)

Joined Aug 11, 2016
I have bought this Delay Relay module off of amazon. I am using it to make a circuit that will act as a latching relay with a delay for a 12V power source.
The circuit should work as follows:

There is a switch to activate the relay. When activated, the relay will remain on until the 12V power passing through it is broken by a second switch. The first switch can therefore be turned off whilst the relay is activated. Once the 12V is switched off there is a delay in the relay deactivating. If the 12V switches back on before the relay is switched off, the relay will latch on again until the 12V is turned off by the second switch once more.

Currently I have managed to make a circuit that has a switch that activates the relay and has a delay when turning off the relay. This is function 4 on the preprogrammed board. But, the delay relay begins the process of turning off as soon as the switch that activates the relay is off IE the relay does not latch as I want.

My question is does anyone know if the module I have bought is capable of latching as is, or do I need to add an additional relay/circuitry?

I have attached a photo of the circuit as is, note to activate the relay I am just inserting the wire from the X1 input into the breadboard, acting as a switch.Screenshot 2024-01-08 at 12.29.45.png

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
There is a switch to activate the relay. When activated, the relay will remain on until the 12V power passing through it is broken by a second switch. The first switch can therefore be turned off whilst the relay is activated. Once the 12V is switched off there is a delay in the relay deactivating. If the 12V switches back on before the relay is switched off, the relay will latch on again until the 12V is turned off by the second switch once more.
Hi Isaac,
Welcome to AAC.

A Timing diagram would be more helpful in showing the sequence you are requiring.

A quick check of the Amazon Functions 1 thru 4 suggest the module will not work as you require.

E

Module function:
  • The user can select one of the following four functions by pressing the button. The delay time can be selected by adjusting the potentiometer. The delay time T1 can be adjusted between 0.1 second and 120 seconds.
  • Function F1:
  • Power-on delay pull-in: After the delay of T1 from the start of power-on, the relay pulls in and sends a high-level pulse signal to the X1 interface at any time. This function resets and restarts.
  • Function F2:
  • The power-on delay is disconnected: the relay is closed when the power is turned on. After the T1 time is closed, the relay is disconnected, and a high-level pulse signal is given to the X1 interface at any time. This function is reset and restarts.
  • Function F3:
  • Self-locking relay mode: a high-level pulse signal is sent to the relay X1 interface, the relay is closed, and a high-level pulse signal relay is turned off.
  • Function F4:
  • Level trigger mode: When the power is turned on, the relay is disconnected, and a high level signal is sent to the X1 interface. The relay immediately picks up. After the X1 port signal disappears, the relay still pulls in. When the pull-in time T1 arrives, the relay turns off.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
I have bought this Delay Relay module off of amazon. I am using it to make a circuit that will act as a latching relay with a delay for a 12V power source.
The circuit should work as follows:

Currently I have managed to make a circuit that has a switch that activates the relay and has a delay when turning off the relay. This is function 4 on the preprogrammed board. But, the delay relay begins the process of turning off as soon as the switch that activates the relay is off IE the relay does not latch as I want.

My question is does anyone know if the module I have bought is capable of latching as is, or do I need to add an additional relay/circuitry?

I have attached a photo of the circuit as is, note to activate the relay I am just inserting the wire from the X1 input into the breadboard, acting as a switch.
The way I understand it, switch1 energizes the X1 input. And you want to keep the X1 input energized so the relay does not begin timing out. But switch2 does not change state in time to keep the X1 input energized, so timeout begins and can't be stopped. So eventually, the relay de-energizes. Is this correct?