How do I adapt twin coil control to control single coil

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
x is any number from 1 through 7.
That number determines the maximum voltage rating (50V to 1000V).
The lowest voltage one (1N4001) has a 50V rating, so any of them will work for you.
Ok Thank You. I may have those in a vast collection of new still in package radio shack electronic parts they sold years ago. Had plans for them but never did anything till now

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Any diode would work, providing it can handle the peak current that the turnout coil draws.
The diodes result in half-wave rectified AC. If the average voltage of that is insufficient to operate a turnout you could use a capacitor of a few hundred microfarads to boost it to the peak voltage (about 20V) and so give the coil an initially-stronger current pulse.

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
x is any number from 1 through 7.
That number determines the maximum voltage rating (50V to 1000V).
The lowest voltage one (1N4001) has a 50V rating, so any of them will work for you.
I went thru my collection of parts I have

I have
2ea 1N4001
7ea 1N4003
2ea 1N4005

12 ea IN34A. Germanium
2ea 1N4744 15v Zener.
8ea 1N914/1N4148 silicon switching

Question: can I mix diodes on same switch circuit? Or mix between different circuits? The 12 germanium diodes I have most of, at PIV 75V. Can I use theses? I recommend any one type I imagine I can still get.
Thank you. Bruce

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
One pair of diodes will serve multiple turnouts (switch circuits), so 2 x 1N4001 or 2 x 1N4003 will be fine.
I'm not sure how the indicator lights will respond to the dual-polarity pulsing.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I went thru my collection of parts I have

I have
2ea 1N4001
7ea 1N4003
2ea 1N4005

12 ea IN34A. Germanium
2ea 1N4744 15v Zener.
8ea 1N914/1N4148 silicon switching

Question: can I mix diodes on same switch circuit? Or mix between different circuits? The 12 germanium diodes I have most of, at PIV 75V. Can I use theses? I recommend any one type I imagine I can still get.
Thank you. Bruce
The 1n400x series have all identical characteristics with the exception of Voltage limit, so if you keep 1n4007 on hand they cover most eventualities.
Max.

PhilTilson

Joined Nov 29, 2009
Here's a solid-state approach using a simple MOSFET bridge.
The MOSFET substrate diodes provide suppression of the load inductive spikes, so separate diodes are not needed..

Damn you, Crutschow! I just spent five minutes sketching out the identical circuit to yours, even to the point about the substrate diodes obviating the need for back-emf suppression, only to find that you had already posted it a few messages below!

I'll have to be quicker off the mark in future! ;)

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
One pair of diodes will serve multiple turnouts (switch circuits), so 2 x 1N4001 or 2 x 1N4003 will be fine.
I'm not sure how the indicator lights will respond to the dual-polarity pulsing.
I had to order small light bulbs for the Arnold 7220 switch control I didn't know did not come with. Plan on testing with atlas 2 coil turnouts to see indicator light work. Then I'll try modified circuit

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
.....I just spent five minutes sketching out the identical circuit to yours, even to the point about the substrate diodes obviating the need for back-emf suppression, only to find that you had already posted it a few messages below!

I'll have to be quicker off the mark in future!
I had the advantage since I already had the schematic from a previous design. :)

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
I had the advantage since I already had the schematic from a previous design. :)
So, use the 14VAC and wire it like this to your Arnold push-buttons :
View attachment 130467
Diodes D1 and D2 can be 1N400x series.
(You can ignore the ground symbol: it's there for simulation purposes).
OK. I wired the Arnold 7220 up as shown with 2 1N4001 diodes. First on my yard sale transformer then on Magnum. Works on both hooked up to AC 14V terminals. :):):):):):) Only thing is I think I hear a very slight " buzz" when returning turnout to " straight position" but does NOT do the buzz in the "turn" direction. Hmmm?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I hear a very slight " buzz" when returning turnout to " straight position" but does NOT do the buzz in the "turn" direction. Hmmm?
The "buzz" is due to the pulsating DC from the half-wave rectified AC signal causing pulsations in the magnetic field.
The sound is probably from the armature inside the coil, and in one position is makes a sound vibrating against something and in the other position the armature is apparently positioned so that it makes no sound.
Nothing to worry about.

You could put a large capacitor to ground at the output of each diode to smooth the pulses to give near DC and minimize the buzz, if you want.

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
The "buzz" is due to the pulsating DC from the half-wave rectified AC signal causing pulsations in the magnetic field.
The sound is probably from the armature inside the coil, and in one position is makes a sound vibrating against something and in the other position the armature is apparently positioned so that it makes no sound.
Nothing to worry about.

You could put a large capacitor to ground at the output of each diode to smooth the pulses to give near DC and minimize the buzz, if you want.
Could I just get power from the DC terminals on the transformer?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Could I just get power from the DC terminals on the transformer?
No. Then the control of the one coil switch machine will not work. It is designed for use with AC power only.

The diodes provide power for half of the AC cycle. In order to change polarity for half of the AC cycle by using the diodes.

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
Nothing to worry about.

What value cap to use. I have a few of those should I choose to go with that option