How do I adapt twin coil control to control single coil

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
This is coil with coin for size comparison this is underneath with a cover plate removed from the bottom of the switch image.jpeg

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
You can get 3 posn control buttons/switches that are centre off, with momentary left and right. (Return to centre on release).
Max.
Note that standard SPDT/DPDT switches (not Center Off) with a NO pushbutton inline with one of the power lines is preferable, because the operation is more prototypely correct. While most of the other solutions will work, they don't follow prototype operations. Model Railroading is all about the prototype.

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
The Arnold 7220 switch control I wanted to use are mounted on control panel where the diagram of the layout is printed on it. The 7220's are mounted directly to the diagram where each turnout is located. It is oriented just as turnout faces. When one button on the 7220 is pressed, two things happen. 1) the turnout moves and 2) a small light bulb under the button pressed is illuminated.
They work wonderfully with Atlas turnouts but getting ready to move in a year or two, didn't want to get into glueing/nailing roadbed and track down. KATO uni-track is snap together lending it easier to tear down come move time. Shame too because I have tons of Atlas N gauge turnouts

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The Arnold 7220 switch control I wanted to use are mounted on control panel where the diagram of the layout is printed on it. The 7220's are mounted directly to the diagram where each turnout is located. It is oriented just as turnout faces. When one button on the 7220 is pressed, two things happen. 1) the turnout moves and 2) a small light bulb under the button pressed is illuminated.
They work wonderfully with Atlas turnouts but getting ready to move in a year or two, didn't want to get into glueing/nailing roadbed and track down. KATO uni-track is snap together lending it easier to tear down come move time. Shame too because I have tons of Atlas N gauge turnouts
Have you ever thought of saving some of the Atlas turnouts? I paint all of my track, so the mix of track types is not obvious and indeed on my layout mixed turnouts of varied manufacturers.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
Seems that your single coil solenoid may have a permanent magnet in the moving core so it responds to polarity.

If that's the case, the solenoid is a simple permanent magnet linear motor and the directional control would consist of an 4 contacts wired in an H-Bridge configuration. Two double pole switches would do the trick, however they must be interlocked so both cannot be ON at the same time and short the power supply.

Interestingly, your double coil track switches are based on the old fashioned "Cheatham T3" switches used for street cars. We've got 30 of them on the surface track of our rail transit system. The ends are energized by 600 VDC contactors and the coil has a center tap that's grounded to the rails.

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
Note that standard SPDT/DPDT switches (not Center Off) with a NO pushbutton inline with one of the power lines is preferable, because the operation is more prototypely correct. While most of the other solutions will work, they don't follow prototype operations. Model Railroading is all about the prototype.
When I checked coil resistance to measure zero
Have you ever thought of saving some of the Atlas turnouts? I paint all of my track, so the mix of track types is not obvious and indeed on my layout mixed turnouts of varied manufacturers.
Hmmmm. That is a good thought. And can mix brands of track. If familiar with model railroading I prefer #6 turnouts compared to #4 which I have most of in atlas. Hmmm just had thought. Wonder and will look into taking turnout motor( actual coil that moves track) off the atlas and adapt it to KATO turnout even if underneath.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Judging by the symbols in the post #7 picture it looks like terminals 4 and 5 of the Arnold controller (7090) provide AC power to the 2-coil turnouts. Is that correct?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Judging by the symbols in the post #7 picture it looks like terminals 4 and 5 of the Arnold controller (7090) provide AC power to the 2-coil turnouts. Is that correct?
Unlikely. The 2 coil switch machines are made by Atlas, and are typically controlled by DC.

UPDATE: Unlikely, but not
Impossible.

Last edited:

Brucey30

Joined Jul 3, 2017
The 7090 is power transformer and post #4 and #5 are the DC supply on the transformer