How are ceramic capacitors categorized and what are their advantages

Crbta

Joined Nov 29, 2023
I am a beginner to electronic components and I am new to a lot of this knowledge. When I read about capacitors, I don't quite understand what types there are and how they are categorized. What are the advantages of ceramic capacitors over other capacitors made of different materials?
This is the page where I saw details about ceramic capacitors:[LINK REMOVED*]. After reading it, I have a lot of doubts, what is the difference between a multilayer ceramic capacitor and a ceramic capacitor?

*MODERATION: The link provided was to a resistor color decoder, nothing to do with capacitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
What are the advantages of ceramic capacitors over other capacitors made of different materials?
To name a couple.

Ceramic capacitors should be physically smaller than electrolytics for any given value. They don't come in sizes much larger than 2.2uF.

Electrolytics tend to be leakier than ceramics.
After reading it, I have a lot of doubts, what is the difference between a multilayer ceramic capacitor and a ceramic capacitor?
Sometimes you don't have a choice. Higher value ceramic caps are more likely to be multilayer to have a smaller footprint. This is more likely to be for SMT caps because they have to conform to the pad footprint, but are less constrained in the vertical dimensions.

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
C0G and NP0 (which are the same thing) are really good for audio.
All the rest are really awful for audio, and are no good for much except decoupling. The tolerances are so wide you can't even use them as timing capacitors.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
Ceramic capacitors should not be used for audio coupling because they are microphonic and their capacitance changes with voltage changes which causes audio distortion at low frequencies. Use plastic film capacitors for coupling low distortion audio.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
I am a beginner to electronic components and I am new to a lot of this knowledge. When I read about capacitors, I don't quite understand what types there are and how they are categorized. What are the advantages of ceramic capacitors over other capacitors made of different materials?
This is the page where I saw details about ceramic capacitors:[LINK REMOVED*]. After reading it, I have a lot of doubts, what is the difference between a multilayer ceramic capacitor and a ceramic capacitor?

*MODERATION: The link provided was to a resistor color decoder, nothing to do with capacitors.
@mod: Capacitors have color-band decoding as well, depending on brand and type. Inductors, Resistors, and Capacitors can be color-band marked.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@mod: Capacitors have color-band decoding as well, depending on brand and type. Inductors, Resistors, and Capacitors can be color-band marked.
Since that is the only place on that page where the word "capacitor" appears, it hardly qualifies as " This is the page where I saw details about ceramic capacitors: "

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Ceramic capacitors should not be used for audio coupling because they are microphonic and their capacitance changes with voltage changes which causes audio distortion at low frequencies. Use plastic film capacitors for coupling low distortion audio.
On the contrary, NP0 and C0G types are excellent for audio. See Doug Self's book, and Cyril Bateman's seminal work
https://linearaudio.nl/sites/linearaudio.net/files/Bateman EW 10 2002 mar2003 10 nF and less.pdf

drjohsmith

Joined Dec 13, 2021
an ideal capacitor , is a concept , never reached.
All capacitors, are a compromise,
its "just" what is important in the circuit,
and that as you have seen is a very long bit of string.
this is useful
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/te.../chpt-13/practical-considerations-capacitors/
The model of a real capacitor is made up like this,

1702650651816.png

Where in the model the RLC are all idea.

different types of capacitors, all of the same capacitance , will have different values for the "Parasitic"

add that to the parameters like, cost, availability , aging , temperature effects, voltage effects, micro phony, safety, materials of conflict,
and all the bits I've forgotten, there is a big big list of reasons,