Help please Electrolux freezer

Dano41

Joined Aug 1, 2016
Folks before I admit defeat even with all your brilliant help and go and buy a replacement freezer.Would it be worth sending the two boards to someone and secondly is there anyone on here who I could send them to?A replacement freezer of this size and spec is expensive.I live in Northern Ireland.

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Folks before I admit defeat even with all your brilliant help and go and buy a replacement freezer.Would it be worth sending the two boards to someone and secondly is there anyone on here who I could send them to?A replacement freezer of this size and spec is expensive.I live in Northern Ireland.
From post #59 there is a glass type component maybe a resistor. Not sure, can you take a resistance measurement.

kv

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi KV,
Are you referring to the glass component in the bottom left hand corner of the board ?
If so I think it is a reed switch. (It is marked SW1.)

Les.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The green glass part is indeed a reed switch.
You could test it with a Ohm meter and a magnet.
There should be a difference between the resistance with and without the magnet.

Bertus

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hi KV,
Are you referring to the glass component in the bottom left hand corner of the board ?
If so I think it is a reed switch. (It is marked SW1.)

Les.
BTW, that confused me. Thx.

Hello,

The green glass part is indeed a reed switch.
You could test it with a Ohm meter and a magnet.
There should be a difference between the resistance with and without the magnet.

Bertus
How does it work, never seen one before. Does it pull in when there's current?

kv

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Hi KV,
The contacts close when a magnet is placed close to it. They are used a lot for alarm contacts on windows and doors. For these the reed switch is encased in a plastic housing.

Les.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hello,

@killivolt , The Reed switch is a glass tube with a magnetic sensitive contacts in it.
See this wiki page : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reed_switch
As stated on the page, there are also relays based on this reed switch.

Bertus
So, back in the day we didn't have electronics in Refrigerators or Freezers.

Hi KV,
The contacts close when a magnet is placed close to it. They are used a lot for alarm contacts on windows and doors. For these the reed switch is encased in a plastic housing.

Les.
From what I'm read on the Net, it's just to sense the door open or closed. So, that board to me wouldn't or shouldn't affect the second board. It would still be nice to have a general knowledge above sniffing for voltage or resistance. In an earlier post he said, he had, no control, no temp indicator, but power to the board. Post # 54.

kv

Last edited:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You might be able to sweet talk them into giving you a schematic, tell them your story, go to the support on their site and they might give you a download of the schematic. You might also go to a service repair shop and tell them you have some electronic knowledge and wish to fix it yourself. If you fix it, you can tell them how you did it.

They might be interested enough to let you take pictures of the schematic or share some issues they've seen. Also, include if you get no help from anyone your willing to purchase a new one, but only tell the repair shop not Electrolux. I have a side by side, but I know it doesn't use a solid state relay because it wouldn't require one because it uses R134a not R600a.

kv