guys i think something wrong with my multimeter

Muhammed Fatih Saruhan

Joined Jun 22, 2019
i dont know why but my multimeter shows higher value when measuring after a diode why is that ? here is video about it
and multimeter is new i just bought it please help

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
im expecting lower voltage after diode because as far as i know diode drops supply voltage from 0.5 to 1 volt am i wrong?
If diode is conducting that is its forward drop. But if your meter presents very high Z
load then diode has no current thru it.

Regards, Dana.​

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
" Relative" cancels out any stray pick up voltage on the leads, so your meter reads just the voltage difference on the leads.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
" Relative" cancels out any stray pick up voltage on the leads, so your meter reads just the voltage difference on the leads.
Don't think so.
Say you connect the meter to a battery then press the relative button. I would expect the meter to show zero. Then connect a load to the battery and as the battery voltage falls the meter would indicate a negative voltage being the amount the voltage is now less than the original measurement. So the meter indicates the voltage relative to the reading when the button was pressed.

Muhammed Fatih Saruhan

Joined Jun 22, 2019
If the current thru the diode is 0 on the graph what is its V ?

The upper right hand quadrant of graph is when the diode is
forward conducting, the 3'rd quadrant is when the diode is in
breakdown, usually destructive if current not limited.

Regards, Dana.
so its normal if its showing more voltage then power supply when not connected to a load ? if so why is it normal now its showing lower voltage now after remove battery and connect it back

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Don't think so.
Say you connect the meter to a battery then press the relative button. I would expect the meter to show zero. Then connect a load to the battery and as the battery voltage falls the meter would indicate a negative voltage being the amount the voltage is now less than the original measurement. So the meter indicates the voltage relative to the reading when the button was pressed.
That's what my meter does, it cancels out any stray pickup on the leads.

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
so its normal if its showing more voltage then power supply when not connected to a load ? if so why is it normal now its showing lower voltage now after remove battery and connect it back
If leads not connected to anything, the meter will autorange to
more sensitive scale, and pick up induced V from mains wiring
in building. Fluorescent lighting a big contributor to induced V.

Not sure on second question.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Muhammed Fatih Saruhan

Joined Jun 22, 2019
If leads not connected to anything, the meter will autorange to
more sensitive scale, and pick up induced V from mains wiring
in building. Fluorescent lighting a big contributor to induced V.

Not sure on second question.

Regards, Dana.
but after i take battery and put it back on now its showing less voltage when diode is not connected anything

danadak

Joined Mar 10, 2018
If you short leads together what does it read ?

If you place leads on bench, without touching them, what does it read ?
The two leads not touching each other.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited: