Distracted Driving 101

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So while reading this thread, about cameras which began with an old game or trail camera we managed to wander off course to what I see as distracted driving. Things like texting and driving. Canada has the right idea on a national level. However here in the lower 48 things are different where the states decide what legislation there should be and what penalties.

Several years ago my wife and I were on one of my annual sojourns from here in Cleveland, Ohio to NYC and Long Island. Cruising along on I 80 we had just crossed from PA into NJ when I noticed the car in front of us drifting right. Get to the rumble dtrip and then back to center. This went on a few times in what I would call moderate traffic. This went on several times and wife mentioned it. I replied beats me but I was keeping my distance. Finally the car drifted too far right and when they corrected they over corrected into the left lane and then left shoulder. Fortunately they managed to get back over but almost lost it and almost took out a driver in the left lane. Personally I was done watching this idiot so I nailed it pedal to the metal to get around them. What do we see? A young female driver texting while driving who apparently learned nothing. She was still trying to text as we blew past her. How incredible stupid for want of a better word can some people be? I really have no sympathy for really stupid people but I have sympathy and feel for the friends and family of people these stupid people may kill as a result of their negligence.

Cant Fix Stupid.png

What the states in the lower 48 need to do is get a clue from our neighbors to the north. You mete out strict fines and punishment. Then too here in Cleveland there was an issue with speed cameras. A few councilmen came forward and said not in my ward or district. OK I was good with that right till I heard their reason. Their districts and wards were in the poor areas and the poor could not afford the fines. Go figure? Well like Beretta said, if you can't do the time don't do the time.

So anyone have distracted driving tales to share or maybe stupid driving tales? :)

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
In my opinion, the majority of car crashes are caused with these three things happening:

1. driving too fast for the road conditions and traffic
  2. following too closely
  3. being distracted
About the same here. Lately speed figures into things. We have law enforcement writing tickets on local Interstate highway stretches where in densely populated areas the speed limit is 60 MPH and people are constantly running in excess of 100 MPH. We are going into February and snow is pretty common, happens every year yet we have people with really poor tires slipping and sliding and people driving entirely too fast for weather conditions. They fly off the roads all around here. Yet, they don't get it. Alcohol is another contributing factor.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Being "Distracted" is such a nice word.
Yeah well distracted driving has a nice ring to it much like driving under the influence sounds better than drunk driving. Seems how something sounds is important and we don't like certain words or phrases. Not sure what that is all about? :)

Ron

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
How about the newer cars and all of the commonly needed controls being a small button? Instead of the HVAC blower being a slider lever you have to find the correct button to push, taking your eyes off the road to do it. Then theres the warnings that come up on the information, back up screen. Telling to not take your eyes from the road, or the temperature may cause road icing. All of these while your driving, never had one come up while I'm starting the car always while driving.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
How about the newer cars and all of the commonly needed controls being a samll button? Intead of the HVAC blower being a slider lever you have to find the correct button to push, taking your eyes off the road to do it. Then theres the warnings that come up on the information, back up screen. Telling to not take your eyes from the road, or the temperature may cause road icing. All of these while your driving, never had one come up while I'm starting the car always while driving.
Good point ... ergonomics has been sacrificed in the name of neatness and unhelpful, excessive information

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The vast majority of crashes happen when two cars try to be in the same place at the same time.

Where/when is this most likely to happen? At an intersection, when making a lane change, or when coming up on a stopped/stopping vehicle.

Solutions: Don't run red lights (or push yellow lights), only make lane changes when necessary, and don't tailgate.

Ever since I first got my license I've made in informal study of the effectiveness of cars that make frequent lane changes trying to get ahead. While occasionally they succeed, what I notice far more often is that I will see someone ahead of me weaving in and out and I start to count the number of lane changes they make. Pretty soon, I'm still watching them weaving back and forth, but I'm watching them in the rear view mirror even though I haven't made a single lane change the entire time. I can pretty much guarantee that if you were to ask them, they would insist that their driving skills are superb and that all of their weaving in and out (which is very often strongly correlated with close tailgating) allows them to zip through traffic so much faster than everyone else.

NMNeil

Joined Jun 18, 2019
It's funny that many states have laws against distracted driving then allow huge advertising billboards to be placed along the roads, and those billboards are specifically designed to distract drivers.:rolleyes:

NMNeil

Joined Jun 18, 2019
Yeah well distracted driving has a nice ring to it much like driving under the influence sounds better than drunk driving. Seems how something sounds is important and we don't like certain words or phrases. Not sure what that is all about? :)

Ron
We already call illegal immigrants undocumented workers, so next we'll be calling drug dealers unlicensed pharmacists.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The vast majority of crashes happen when two cars try to be in the same place at the same time.

Where/when is this most likely to happen? At an intersection, when making a lane change, or when coming up on a stopped/stopping vehicle.

Solutions: Don't run red lights (or push yellow lights), only make lane changes when necessary, and don't tailgate.

Ever since I first got my license I've made in informal study of the effectiveness of cars that make frequent lane changes trying to get ahead. While occasionally they succeed, what I notice far more often is that I will see someone ahead of me weaving in and out and I start to count the number of lane changes they make. Pretty soon, I'm still watching them weaving back and forth, but I'm watching them in the rear view mirror even though I haven't made a single lane change the entire time. I can pretty much guarantee that if you were to ask them, they would insist that their driving skills are superb and that all of their weaving in and out (which is very often strongly correlated with close tailgating) allows them to zip through traffic so much faster than everyone else.
Lane changes sans any indication of a lane change. Long Island NY has a beautiful system of what we called Parkways. The parkways and their nice stone bridges were built by the old WPA (Works Progress Administration). Years ago it was concluded that sudden lane changes combined with excessive speed were the major cause of accidents. New fine and this was a few decades ago, Fail to signal a lane change and it's an automatic $300 fine. Something else NY got right is Driving While Intoxicated? Vehicle was used in commission of a crime. Vehicle is impounded and you don't get it back. That is end of discussion. There were new BMW convertibles full of snow in impound lots.

Many members here know I ride motorcycle. Since I was 20 years old I have enjoyed motorcycle. When you ride a bike you get good at predicting what traffic will do. You just develop a sixth sense. You are constantly looking ahead and in your mirrors. Things have gotten so bad out there I no longer take the bike out as much as I once did. It has become more of a chore to ride than the enjoyable pleasure it once was. I am spending more time focusing on distracted and drivers in a rush than enjoying my ride. Been over 50 years of enjoying motorcycles but in an effort to remain alive I seldom ride anymore.

Ron

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I still have my 1986 full sized Ford Bronco. It has a shorter wheelbase than my Datsun 310 did. You learned very quickly that adjusting the radio or HVAC controls was extremely hazardous if you survived the first occurrence. You could not take your eyes off the road for a second! I also had to apply small bullseye mirrors on the side mirrors as it had a HUGE BLIND SPOT on each side. I also had to install a steering stabilizer (dual opposed shock absorbers on the tie rod) as small water puddles would nearly break your wrist when you hit them and throw the vehicle left or right.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
As for highway traffic congestion, my hypothesis is that fast cars cause traffic slowdown (despite what aggressive impatient drivers would like to believe).

Here is my reason why this happens. Fast cars send a wrong message of traffic flow to drivers following. When the leading fast car has to hit the brakes, all traffic behind begins to pile up resulting in a disruption of the flow.

If you leave ample space between you and the car ahead, it would allow for mergers and lane changes without having to slow down. I call this elasticity in the system.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Florida just announced a new traffic law that the left lane is for passing only and not just cruising mindlessly along holding up traffic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Florida just announced a new traffic law that the left lane is for passing only and not just cruising mindlessly along holding up traffic.
Colorado passed the same law a few years ago. So now, if you are in the left lane on the highway, doing 85 mph in a 75 mph zone, you can get pulled over for both speeding AND going too slow so as to impede traffic.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm retired because a 20yo girl t-boned me on a highway when she entered from a cross road that had a stop sign. She said she didn't see me, then said she thought I had to stop. My Wife and I think she was using her phone. She got a ticket and my Daughter and I spent years getting treatment and surgeries. Two for each of us and I could have died from my second.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
There is at least one good thing about "Lead-Footed-Willy-Weavers",
it tends to keep other drivers on their Toes and paying attention.
Too many Drivers are actually just mindless "Passengers",
and the Car is doing all the driving.

"The Vehicle went out of control"
No ..... You lack driving skills, plus, You were not paying attention, = crash.
There's no such thing as a traffic "accident".

I drive with the assumption that every other driver is on some sort of pharmaceutical drugs
and is going to try to crash into me the second that
I give them an opportunity, or stop watching them.
This philosophy works pretty good,
but I've been rear-ended 3-times while completely stopped at an intersection.
2 of them were definitely known to be playing around with Cell-Phones.