My own camera

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
OK, everybody. Now we know more than before. But still not much about using that particular trail camera as a live security camera. There are a number of interesting applications for a trail camera if it can be repackaged into something that looks innocent on the outside of a house. Most of the security cameras I see around here are obviously intended to be very obvious and scare away the bad actors. A well disguised camera might catch more interesting pictures.
And any good sales manager would never put the excellent products on the same aisle as the poor quality ones. That is covered in chapter one of the sales training handbook.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Most of the security cameras I see around here are obviously intended to be very obvious and scare away the bad actors. A well disguised camera might catch more interesting pictures.
My trail Cam is Camo-colored, you don't want the deer & and other critters noticing it. ! ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
NTSC is far from extinct! look at that yellow phono jack on the back of the flat screen smart TV or the "S-Video" connection.
It may not be available in current video source devices, but it is still around. Of course, in the UK and other countries they do use PAL, which is a similar but incompatible format that also delivers analog video.
NTSC may not be extinct but it stinks. There are many newer formats much much better now especially for security cams.
So maybe it should be :)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Is it possible to take this old trail cam which is not wireless but could I take the camera ir sensors and motion sensor and make my own surveillance camera that can transmit to my tv or phone if so where would I start maybe a couple steps to help me get going
Hi,

The simplest way to go from one format to another is to use a second camera to view the screen of the original format device. The original needs to have a screen of it's own however, and the image quality will only be as good as the original plus any artifacts introduced by the second camera. This works to some degree for example for viewing a live TV program on an actual TV set on the computer using a web cam. The web cam picks up the TV show on the TV screen, sends it to the computer, then you can view it with web cam software on the computer. It's not great but with a decent web cam you can do pretty good.
This may or may not work in full for your project because you still need a wireless service to view remotely on the phone, and your trail cam probably doesnt have a screen of it's own, although you may be able to get one that does. Those trail cams are pretty cool though i thought about getting one too, but i dont like the fact that the way to view the cheap ones is to pull out the SD card and read it on the computer or phone.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
My trail Cam is Camo-colored, you don't want the deer & and other critters noticing it. ! ;)
That is my point exactly. What will blend in on a wooded area will really stand out in a corridor in an office building, or most other businesses or residences. Thus the irregular shape and bark like camo is not what will work in other applications where it needs to be un-noticed by humans.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

I just saw a commercial yesterday for a 'new' type of car dash cam. It is automatic and transmits to the phone via wifi. Cant remember the name though but im sure it is on the web somewhere. I think it stores the video on an SD card but when you ask it to send to the phone the phone downloads it via the wifi. The device acts like a wifi hotspot so you can connect with your phone. I'll look it up if you want to check it out.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Hello again,

I just saw a commercial yesterday for a 'new' type of car dash cam. It is automatic and transmits to the phone via wifi. Cant remember the name though but im sure it is on the web somewhere. I think it stores the video on an SD card but when you ask it to send to the phone the phone downloads it via the wifi. The device acts like a wifi hotspot so you can connect with your phone. I'll look it up if you want to check it out.
Please avoid watching your phone while driving. Doing That is dangerous.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
And Highly illegal here, drivers caught violating it are subject to three day license suspension for the 1st offence and 7 day suspension for subsequent offences, plus a $672 fine each time.
That's how it should be down here in the US. More and more accidents as a result of distracted driving along with excessive speed.

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Please avoid watching your phone while driving. Doing That is dangerous.
Oh maybe i stated that wrong. You dont get it on your phone while driving. You have to do some typing to get it to download to the phone. If you are stupid enough to use your phone for anything like that then you are stupid enough to text while driving which is now illegal in many states, maybe federal. I dont suspect anyone here would do that. I dont even answer my phone if it rings while i am driving no matter how important the call may be.
Some people use those bluetooth ear pieces and talk on their phone (hands free) while driving. I dont go for that either. I even wonder if listening to the radio is a good idea because anything that can distract you is a bad idea. I was just looking up some accident reports too and how speed is related to fatalities ... it's a good read.
I am pretty much a fanatic about safe driving and even wanted to start a website about that alone. I actually went to driving school.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
That's how it should be down here in the US. More and more accidents as a result of distracted driving along with excessive speed.

Ron

Hi Ron,

I know some states have laws for that now but not sure which ones or if it went federal or not.
I dont even like the bluetooth ear pieces that allow people to talk on their phone hands free when driving. Peoples minds wander enough sometimes we dont need to help them wander even more when the person on the other end says something especially shocking to the driver.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I am relieved that nobody wanted to argue my point. My take on the transfer to the phone was evidently incorrect. My observation of texting drivers is that they go 55 in 70 MPH traffic and have lots of cars behind and empty space ahead. Except at traffic lights, where they wait long after the green appears.
Certainly the comments are valid. Carrying on a full duplex phone, or radio conversation takes attention that should be applied to driving. Simplex conversations are a bit different. That includes emergency vehicles, CB radio, and Ham radio. The handling of the microphone while driving is usually not much of a distraction for most driving situations. It was mentioned in the pursuit driving class sessions, though. Fortunately must driving is not that intense.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
We started with a trail camera and here we are 33 post later. If any of us has distracted driving tales I made a place for them. This way this thread can focus on the thread topic rather than drifting into totally unrelated subject matter. Which I even find myself getting sucked into. :(

Ron