Distracted Driving 101

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The Delta-V argument is one I've been saying for years, and did not realize there were scholarly studies on it.

I've driven several places in the world (30+ states, several Canadian provinces, Manila and other parts of Luzon, Crete, France, Korea, Singapore, Mexico) and I subscribe to the idea on a tier above just Delta-V. It's more like Delta-driving-habits in my book (to an extent, and with caveats). Basically, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do," with respect to the official rules of the road of course, but also with respect to the de facto rules of the road.

For instance, driving in Manila requires one to abandon all they thought they knew about safety and drive in a manner that would be considered balls-out reckless in other parts of the world. Run red lights, drive on the wrong side of the road, enter a 7-way bastardized starfish intersection with total disregard for all traffic signals (if they exist), etc. If you try to drive like you were taught in the west, you might as well be an angelfish trying to school with piranhas. You have to be a piranha to get anywhere period, much less get there in one piece.
When I worked in the Philippines @MOTU13 the wife and I had bomber car for driving between Clark AB, the Subic NB and local trips but I never like driving near Manila. It's the law of the jungle when driving there. Nanometers off the bumpers, loud horns, bright colors and the ability to drive like in a Bond movie are all standard requirements for the daily drive.

The one thing you didn't see there usually was excessive speed being a major factor in most collisions. :D

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Good Lord ... what a terrible impression you must've had. Border towns are the worst places to drive or visit in Mexico.

Next time try driving down to Monterrey. The change in scenery and quality of life is exponentially better... plus I'll buy you dinner and a few beers. ;)
Yes it was not a land of unicorns and rainbows, but I know/knew it is not representative of the rest of the country. I would like to give the interior of Mexico a visit sometime, but these days I would not try to drive there.

Every time I think of it, the first image that comes to mind is the "doctor" (or maybe actual doctor) in a long white lab coat standing outside the door of the pharmacy with a pen an prescription pad, beckoning passers by to come and buy prescription drugs. I swear I saw the same guy in all 3 towns.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yes it was not a land of unicorns and rainbows, but I know/knew it is not representative of the rest of the country. I would like to give the interior of Mexico a visit sometime, but these days I would not try to drive there.

Every time I think of it, the first image that comes to mind is the "doctor" (or maybe actual doctor) in a long white lab coat standing outside the door of the pharmacy with a pen an prescription pad, beckoning passers by to come and buy prescription drugs. I swear I saw the same guy in all 3 towns.
LOL! ... you must've seen the Dr Simi mascot of "Farmacias Similares". It's a cheap-o chain of pharmacies that sell medicines of generic brands at cheaper prices...

1675441049349.png

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh, wow! They made a mascot of him! No I was referring to a real man :D. He/they where (or seemed to be) offering to write and fill any prescription you might want.
Believe it or not, laws in Mexico regarding prescription drugs are quite strict and thoroughly enforced. What that guy might've been promising is a quick checkup and an adequate prescription if you required one.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Believe it or not, laws in Mexico regarding prescription drugs are quite strict and thoroughly enforced. What that guy might've been promising is a quick checkup and an adequate prescription if you required one.
I suppose if I had stopped to talk to him I would know that. But I was going out of my not to stop or talk to anyone who seemed like they wanted me to. Without the information you just provided, the conclusion that I drew still seems fairly reasonable to me given the context of my surroundings, the nature of which I'm sure you are aware.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I suppose if I had stopped to talk to him I would know that. But I was going out of my not to stop or talk to anyone who seemed like they wanted me to. Without the information you just provided, the conclusion that I drew still seems fairly reasonable to me given the context of my surroundings, the nature of which I'm sure you are aware.
Yup ... I never ever ever ever never stop at a border town if I can help it. Not even to get gas. Although most people in those places are struggling to make a decent living, lots of unsavory things begin to pop out when one starts paying attention.