D-type Flip Flop using logic gates, LTspice says "timestep too small!"

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
1656775564330.png
@MrChips @Papabravo @ScottWang @DickCappels @Ian0 @ericgibbs @Bordodynov
Hi all, I have stumbled across this circuit. Above is a frequency divider circuit (f/3 to be exact) quoted from here. I have tried to simulate it in LT Spice and followed exactly all the connections, but no output. I believe that the problem lies within the built-in logic gate by LT Spice. Can anyone spot any misconnections or problems here as I have even tried push-pull amplifier on the output of the logic gate since it outputs a maximum of 1V only which might be insufficient by the D pins as shown above?

Thank you for reading :)

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
View attachment 270541
@MrChips @Papabravo @ScottWang @DickCappels @Ian0 @ericgibbs @Bordodynov
Hi all, I have stumbled across this circuit. Above is a frequency divider circuit (f/3 to be exact) quoted from here. I have tried to simulate it in LT Spice and followed exactly all the connections, but no output. I believe that the problem lies within the built-in logic gate by LT Spice. Can anyone spot any misconnections or problems here as I have even tried push-pull amplifier on the output of the logic gate since it outputs a maximum of 1V only which might be insufficient by the D pins as shown above?

Thank you for reading :)
I modified the three gates to have the same parameters as the flip-flops since they were using the default settings which are essentially NON-FUNCTIONAL. I lowered the voltage swing of V1 from 15V to 5V. I changed the rise and fall times of the clock to a more reasonable 10 nanoseconds, and I redefined the simulation time in terms of the clock frequency. I also cleaned up the layout getting rid of unnecessary jogs and "grayspace" .Looks OK to me. I have also posted a corrected ".asc" file.
1656778357068.png
1656778395298.png

If you want to use the plot settings file you need to remove the ".txt" extension which AAC requires for the file to be uploaded.

Attachments

Last edited:

MrsssSu

Joined Sep 28, 2021
I modified the three gates to have the same parameters as the flip-flops since they were using the default settings which are essentially NON-FUNCTIONAL. I lowered the voltage swing of V1 from 15V to 5V. I changed the rise and fall times of the clock to a more reasonable 10 nanoseconds, and I redefined the simulation time in terms of the clock frequency. Looks OK to me. I have also posted a corrected ".asc" file.

View attachment 270542
If you want to use the plot settings file you need to remove the ".txt" extension which AAC requires for the file to be uploaded.
Thank you for your time and help sir :)

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
View attachment 270467
View attachment 270468
View attachment 270469
Both pictures are quoted from here and here. I am trying to simulate it in LT Spice using Logic gates as the Level Triggered D Type Flip-flop.
However, I got the error timestep is too small in LT Spice. May I know how to solve this? Below is my LT Spice file attached.

Thank you for reading and have a nice day:)
Hi

The pictures are misleading.

The top NAND circuit is a level-triggered "D LATCH". The Q output will follow the state of the D input as long as the CLK input is high. This means that if the Q output is connected to D, and the CLK is high , Q output will oscillate (continuously change state between high and low) as long as the CLK is high.

The lower picture is supposed to be a edge-triggered "D Flip Flop". The output can only change state when a clock EDGE occurs. The internal circuitry is a Master/Slave arrangement so the pictures are not representative of this type of flip flop (except the symbol with the triangle at the CLK input is correct).

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
The circuit you've shown is doing what its supposed to do. It is oscillating as long as the CLK input is high.
If you took the time to read the opening post, the TS intention was to build a D type F/F not a gated 14.4MHz oscillator.

The D type was going to be used in his later posted Divider circuit.