Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Do things by the book ... and yet things go wrong ... it definitely tells you something about the book
One article pointed out that a LOT of the book is geared toward preventing lawsuits for malpractice. Hence doctors put a much practice as they can between them and the lawyers even though it probably was not warranted by the symptoms being treated. That plus every treatment code they tic off on the sheet means another bill to the insurance company to help pay for their Country Club Membership and a new car every year.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Protocol is what separates science from shaman. At the outbreak of the Spanish flu a century ago, doctors didn't need to graduate high school. Each doctor operated autonomously and relied on essentially their hunches and intuition to prepare a patient plan. It was pure quackery and the opposite of science.

A positive outcome of that flu pandemic was a nationwide shift towards medical (and scientific) standards. A hospital protocol is just like a manufacturing method in a factory. You pick the best one you know and run with it. You run it under quality control and you enforce change management. That means the protocol doesn't change until you have scientific evidence to warrant the change. Employees that deviate from protocol are held to account to explain themselves.

It may feel confining at the patient level, but at the population level there is no hope of institutional improvement without protocols.

bogosort

Joined Sep 24, 2011
My friends and I have made it a habit of getting together every single Thursday when we can. Sometimes there's only four of us, sometimes a dozen, and sometimes even more... although due to the present situation, it's been more than a month since our last gathering, which was great btw.
My friends and I have a similar ritual that we've since moved to Zoom (broken crypto notwithstanding). Initially, I was skeptical of "remote drinking", but it's turned out to be great.

Anyway, a few years ago we began to make it a habit of making a last toast before we left the table and headed home to our lives and families. The tradition now is that we always drink at the end of the night to: "F**k the first of us who dies first!"
That's great, we'll have to adopt this. :D

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
  1. I need to practice social-distancing from the refrigerator.
  2. Still haven't decided where to go for Easter ----- The Living Room or The Bedroom.
  3. The cleaning lady just called to say she is working from home and will send us instructions on what to do.
  4. After this is all over, half the population will have become excellent cooks, the other half will be alcoholics.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.kptv.com/news/odfw-clos...cle_6dfb85b6-7ac1-11ea-90cb-cb272e607b82.html
SALEM, OR (KPTV) - The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife is closing hunting, fishing, crabbing and clamming to people who do not live in the state.

Officials said the decision was made to limit travelers coming to Oregon to take part in outdoor activities during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Some states, including Washington, have previously closed hunting and fishing to limit the spread of the virus, according to ODFW. While seasons remain open in Oregon, except for Columbia River salmon and steelhead fishing, resident hunters and anglers should not be travelling to participate.
We need to keep those pesky outsiders away from our animals. I saw a large number of WA plates on this side of the Columbia River while on a pleasure drive with the family today. Thank goodness we are still free to travel on this side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.