Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I absolutely agree. If such decisions were up to me, I'd probably err on the side of DIY every time. The benefit might not accrue for a decade or more but I always felt that my decision horizon should be at least as far out as my own career. My pet peeve was all the type-A bozos running around obsessed with the monthly numbers. If I were CEO, I'd fire them all.
So how long did it take you to get the browser you are reading this on up and working? :D

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Man, that dates me. :) I still remember our '49 Ford 's wipers slowing down as we went uphill.
I had a one of those, they went like hell going back down though! :D
My Ford model was one of the cheapest car ever made in the UK, 6v battery, gravity radiator.,
Talk about bare-bones!
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Re-purposing a wiper motor
Max.
Some years ago I had the pleasure of working with some students from The University of Texas and Texas Tech. They had done some work on motors which would run at extremely high temperatures. The application was for the abandoned M-Power Project. Glad I was never overly involved with that project but anyway these young students figured out a way to wind the motor coils on ceramic forms. The ones I had the pleasure of working with are likely fine engineers out there today as M-Power development was maybe 10 years ago and I will be retired 7 years May 1st. Repurpose a wiper motor, add a micro controller and you have an automated manual method. Pretty cool really. Bright kids.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Some things don't rise to the level of needing a decision. The notion of a DIY web browser is one of them.
Actually I built one, very crude but functional. My first was in Visual Basic 6.0 and a latter one in Visual Studio (VB) 2008. Takes about 5 min.

Ron

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I had a one of those, they went like hell going back down though! :D
My Ford model was one of the cheapest car ever made in the UK, 6v battery, gravity radiator.,
Talk about bare-bones!
Max.
And "positive ground." I was young and remember that detail. I think Ford abandoned that with the 1956 model year.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
To say nothing of sporadic 'crashes' owed the dread 'ram-pack wabbles'!:eek:

TTFN
HP:cool:
Oh yes! I even tried to thicken the connector with solder, obviously, to no avail.

Add that terrible keyboard with specific keys becoming extremely worn out, what I tried to overcome by dutifully buying an adhesive keyboard.

In spite of all that, next year, I implemented the computation by moments used to get, mean draft, trim, sheer forces and bending moment of the vessel according to weights distribution (something that manually and not being disturbed, could take around 40 to 50 minutes working non stop), still in BASIC.

Digressing now: in line with the above, if you are interested, search loadicator (no much in the Web). A fascinating genuine analog computer in every vessel doing the same. Once I opened one: the most erotic (or it is fascinating?) view of 50 or maybe 100 op amps spending lot of power. Warm place the Deck Office.

Nowadays, just a PC; what else?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.businessinsider.com/chi...ar-second-coronavirus-wave-wuhan-hubei-2020-4
Some epidemiologists believe that lockdowns merely delay the outbreak's peak by a few months.

"What happened in Wuhan and now what's happened in north Italy is not the peak of an epidemic. That's about a month away from the peak," Dr. Ben Cowling, an epidemiologist at the University of Hong Kong who researches influenza transmission and control measures, told Business Insider.

"They are still facing now, most likely, a second wave in one to two months' time. So are they going to shut down again?"

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.