Coronavirus?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
https://www.kptv.com/news/odfw-clos...cle_6dfb85b6-7ac1-11ea-90cb-cb272e607b82.html

We need to keep those pesky outsiders away from our animals. I saw a large number of WA plates on this side of the Columbia River while on a pleasure drive with the family today. Thank goodness we are still free to travel on this side.
Pelt the foreigners with pith balls!

As time goes on, more and more people are going to be relying on local wildlife to feed their families. Earnings are dwindling, belts are tightening. What else can you do?

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Pelt the foreigners with pith balls!

As time goes on, more and more people are going to be relying on local wildlife to feed their families. Earnings are dwindling, belts are tightening. What else can you do?
Reality check: What fraction of the population, even in that neck of the woods, would have the faintest idea how to feed their families on the local wildlife?

Now, at some point people that DO have the knowledge and skill may well start selling local game to local consumers, but that doesn't address the problem of feeding families with dwindling earnings. It will still likely be cheaper to buy from the usual sources.

Now, if the usual sources dry up for the long term, that's a different matter entirely. I think we are a long way from that. Around here, the stores are largely past the empty-shelves on most things, including beef and produce and dairy. I've been a bit surprised that they've recovered as quickly as they have -- and also puzzled by some of the things that are still in short supply, and also how it seems to shift.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The fact that it's even a story just shows how out of touch Oregon has been relative to most of the western states for decades, where it has always been legal to take roadkill for consumption.

When I whacked my first deer (here in Colorado) back in the 1990 time frame, the cop asked me if I wanted the meat or knew of someplace that I could donate it. If not, they would call the wildlife division who would attempt to find a homeless shelter or soup kitchen that could use it. Failing that, he said that either the wildlife division or the state department of transportation would either haul the carcass back into the woods and let nature and the local critters take care of it in a place unlikely to promote human/scavenger encounters or, if that was impractical, would take it someplace and bury it, probably at the edge of a nearby road construction site. The preference was for me to claim it and/or donate it.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The fact that it's even a story just shows how out of touch Oregon has been relative to most of the western states for decades, where it has always been legal to take roadkill for consumption.
We are slowly catching up, roadkill legal, people pumping gas, next untied shoelaces will be legal in Portland.
Shoelaces must be tied while walking down the street.

The city of Portland is also a firm proponent of personal safety, going so far as to make it illegal to walk down the street with one’s shoelaces untied. Fortunately, this law doesn’t appear to extend beyond the street, meaning you are apparently allowed to duck into a storefront or stop in the park to tie your shoes and avoid prosecution.
https://criminaldefensetucson.com/oregon-are-you-serious/

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
How did you have it done? Stewed?
Unfortunately, I was living in a single sleeping room at the time, so it wasn't an option for me. I didn't know, off hand, of any places that could take it as a donation, but the cop said that he knew a few local places that had taken meat before and he could reach out to them before he called wildlife, so I left it up to him.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

We are finally seeing a possible silver lining to this plague.
The "common enemy" psychological and economical theories are starting to kick in.

Many active militant groups are beginning to crease fire due to the virus. This is a strange form of peace but it is working to some degree as everyone in the world is fighting the common enemy covid-19.

There is a little bit of joking irony here though, and that is the fictitious quote:
"We are going to stop trying to kill our enemies to help stop the virus from killing them so we can go back to trying to kill them ourselves".
:)

However, seriously maybe this "common enemy syndrome" will change the world in a good way overall once we get control over this, and hopefully we do and we do very soon.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello again,

The "common enemy" psychological and economical theories are starting to kick in.

Many active militant groups are beginning to crease fire due to the virus. This is a strange form of peace but it is working to some degree as everyone in the world is fighting the common enemy covid-19.

There is a little bit of joking irony here though, and that is the fictitious quote:
"We are going to stop trying to kill our enemies to help stop the virus from killing them so we can go back to trying to kill them ourselves".

However seriously maybe this will change the world in a good way overall once we get control over this, and hopefully we do and we do very soon.
Don't hold your hopes up.

Sadly, that fictitious quote is almost certainly a very accurate assessment of the situation.

Just consider the situation after both WWI and WWII and all of the wholesale slaughter that visited nearly every corner of the globe in each of those wars. If ever there should have been a situation that should have changed the world in ways that we would have found ways to avoid armed conflict, those should have done it. But armed conflicts arose in numerous places in very short order.

People will always be in competition for limited resources of all kinds and there will always be people, both as individuals and groups (including nations and alliances) that, at some point, will resort to armed conflict to secure those resources. And that's leaving out all of the other secular and religious motivations that result in violent conflict.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Well, at least it didn't go to waste. Good for you.

If I remember correctly, at one point WWI was called "the war to end all wars" ... yeah, right...
At the time it was referred to mostly as the "World War" or the "Great War", both being terms that came about and widespread in 1914 (it was another quarter century before we realized the need to number them). H.G. Wells published a number of articles in 1914 that were gathered into the book, "The War That Will End War" and the phrase gained fairly widespread popular use, but even during the war it was also widely disparaged as being an empty wish.

I think a lot of people truly believed (or fervently held onto) that wish, largely due to the same utopian fantasies that have always been around. There is never a shortage of people that cling to the notion that peace can be established and maintained by just one side renouncing any form of violence and beating their swords into plowshares and that the whole world will get along harmoniously. Sorry, it just doesn't work that way. If 99% of the people adopt and stick to that philosophy and 99% of the rest simply try to go about their daily lives, the remaining 0.01% will simply steamroll and brutally subjugate them all in very short order.

Hello again,

However, seriously maybe this "common enemy syndrome" will change the world in a good way overall once we get control over this, and hopefully we do and we do very soon.
Don't hold your hopes up.

Sadly, that fictitious quote is almost certainly a very accurate assessment of the situation.

Just consider the situation after both WWI and WWII and all of the wholesale slaughter that visited nearly every corner of the globe in each of those wars. If ever there should have been a situation that should have changed the world in ways that we would have found ways to avoid armed conflict, those should have done it. But armed conflicts arose in numerous places in very short order.

People will always be in competition for limited resources of all kinds and there will always be people, both as individuals and groups (including nations and alliances) that, at some point, will resort to armed conflict to secure those resources. And that's leaving out all of the other secular and religious motivations that result in violent conflict.

And with the 'cooling' of the 'CV crisis' is sure to come the 'heating' of 'the blame game' - From all 'sides' and in every aspect...

Best regards
HP

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
If 99% of the people adopt and stick to that philosophy and 99% of the rest simply try to go about their daily lives, the remaining 0.01% will simply steamroll and brutally subjugate them all in very short order.
It's called human nature. And there's never a shortage of fools that think it can change simply because we're supposed to be better than our ancestors.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...es-mandate-tuberculosis-vaccine/#.XpBwRXVKgnU
LONDON – Countries with mandatory policies to vaccinate against tuberculosis register fewer coronavirus deaths than countries that don’t have those policies, a new study has found.

The preliminary study posted on medRxiv, a site for unpublished medical research, finds a correlation between countries that require citizens to get the bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) vaccine and those showing fewer number of confirmed cases and deaths from COVID-19. Though only a correlation, clinicians in at least six countries are running trials that involve giving front-line health workers and elderly people the BCG vaccine to see whether it can indeed provide some level of protection against the new coronavirus.

Gonzalo Otazu, assistant professor at the New York Institute of Technology and lead author of the study, started working on the analysis after noticing the low number of cases in Japan. The country had reported some of the earliest confirmed cases of coronavirus outside of China and it hadn’t instituted lockdown measures like so many other countries have done.
Countries including Japan and South Korea, which appear to have managed to control the disease so far, have universal BCG vaccine policies.
Caution urged
With over 1.5 million cases and more than 88,000 deaths, the world is struggling to control COVID-19. Any vaccine for the disease is more than a year away from being available and the effectiveness of drugs under trial won’t be known for months to come. That’s why it’s reasonable to look at whether BCG vaccine could provide protection against COVID-19, said Eleanor Fish, professor at the University of Toronto’s immunology department. Otazu’s study is yet to undergo review by peers, a strict criteria for science studies.

“I would read the results of the study with incredible caution,” Fish said.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Here is an translation of a dutch article:

Researchers Radboudumc discover "missing puzzle piece" in fighting coronavirus

NIJMEGEN - Researchers from the Nijmegen Radboud university medical center have made an important discovery in the course of the disease in corona.
This could be of great importance in the treatment of the lung virus, the researchers say in a publication on the scientific platform Preprints.

Because how is it that in some cases the lungs of corona patients deteriorate so quickly?
The researchers followed a number of patients closely and concluded that the shortness of breath of the sick may not be due to an infection alone.
Frank van de Veerdonk, internist-infectiologist at Radboudumc:
,, We had the idea that during this process the very small blood vessels in the lungs also leak. That leak is causing problems for the lungs, because they partly fill up. ”

"Set up treatments now"

One possible reason is that an important enzyme - called ACE2 - is sidelined by corona.
ACE2 is important for the human body, including to control the substance bradykinin.
Van de Veerdonk: ,, Bradykinin makes blood vessels leak. We have good reason to believe that with this Covid-19 infection we see exactly this effect. ACE2 receptors disappear because of the virus, which gives bradykinin free rein and the small blood vessels leak massively at the site of infection. ”

This may be crucial in the treatment of corona patients. After all, there are means to inhibit the action of bradykinin.
Radboud university medical center will now investigate this, together with the UMC in Utrecht, among others.
"We are busy setting up our first treatments," says Van de Veerdonk. "Because for every good idea, the corresponding proof must first be provided."

The origenal article:
https://www.destentor.nl/nijmegen/o...kje-bij-bestrijding-van-coronavirus~a1a91b2b/

Bertus

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The max-effort research into Corona might just be the kick we needed to investigate treatments for a wide spectrum of medial issues while looking for a magic bullet(s). We are in a period like the 60's space program in medical research looking for cures and treatments. Most will fail but it's likely we will find some incredibly valuable medical information during the search.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The max-effort research into Corona might just be the kick we needed to investigate treatments for a wide spectrum of medial issues while looking for a magic bullet(s). We are in a period like the 60's space program in medical research looking for cures and treatments. Most will fail but it's likely we will find some incredibly valuable medical information during the search.
That's unusually optimistic, especially coming from the staunchest skeptic I know in this place ... I'm taking your comment very seriously, my friend. Thanks for getting me in a good mood today.

Status
Not open for further replies.