Burned step down transformer 220v to 110v

dirarko

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Hello,

I have bought a Wii console with a non working power adapter. After checking out the adapter I found that the issue was that it has a 120v input and probably was plugged in a 220v.
To fix it, I replaced a Varistor, a Fuse and a 200v 180uf Capacitor. The power adapter is rated at 120v and 51W. So after replacing the parts I plugged it in the AC convertor shown in the picture below, and in about 10 seconds I started smelling burning plastic then the fuse blew and the AC convertor started smoking! Now I have a burned out adapter and convertor. Anyone can explain why this happened

Thanks

Attachments

dirarko

Joined Oct 7, 2020
Yes. Some components fail opened, others can failed shorted. If something shorted power, that could cause the symptoms you observed.
yeah, I think the convertor is beyond repair? any tips what I should check in the power adapter?

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
yeah, I think the convertor is beyond repair?
Don't have enough information to say one way or another.
any tips what I should check in the power adapter?
  1. Look for obviously damaged parts.
  2. Draw a schematic so we can tell what you're working with.
  3. Use an autotransformer (often called Variacs, which is a brand name) to bring the device up with a lower voltage. Be aware that an autotransformer usually removes line isolation (e.g. safety).
  4. Add additional current limiting while troubleshooting.

dirarko

Joined Oct 7, 2020
The transformer has started to work alone. At the beginning is has a very low voltage output, but two days later it's working.

Don't have enough information to say one way or another.

1. Look for obviously damaged parts.
  2. Draw a schematic so we can tell what you're working with.
  3. Use an autotransformer (often called Variacs, which is a brand name) to bring the device up with a lower voltage. Be aware that an autotransformer usually removes line isolation (e.g. safety).
  4. Add additional current limiting while troubleshooting.
Thanks