Bikes, Bikes, Bikes.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm not a picture guy so you need to take my word for it. I have two Harley Panheads, a '57 and a '58, and a '85 FLHTC.

The '85 I took all of the dresser stuff off except the bags added lowering shocks on the rear and 3" under forks. And built a new front fender that fits closer to the wheel. The headlight was the last piece I was building for it. It started out as a "35 Chevy torpedo style that I split down the middle then cut the length down to the diameter that fits with a "59 Corvette headlight ring I got at a swapmeet. Then I formed metal to fill the gap and fit the shape of the Vette headlight ring. Got it all ready to Tig back together and had a few heart attacks in a row, so it's sitting in the shop.

Both of the pans were real basket cases or box cases, all in pieces when I bought them. They both got customized when I built them with many home made stainless and aluminum parts for them. Was a die maker so did the parts at work. Stuff like special intake manifolds, kicker pedals stainless oil tanks oil coolers and spin off oil filters using Chevy oil filters. But the actual style of the bikes are kind of minimalist, like modern day bobbers. I like simple.

Started out as a teenager building mini bikes. Once it's in your blood it's hard to shake.
To bad, what you've done for them, they deserve pics. Damn man, show them off. You've baited me, real me in.........

kv

Edit: @shortbus No, problem. If you have health issues I get it. I'm not the picture of health, I could go down in a red hot minute. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Just needs a rolling chassis but I seem to have too many projects and slowing down as I grow older.
I know all to well about slowing down. When I was still working I was buying up things to do in my retirement, and then the health brought me down. Just a few of the projects that are started besides the 85H-D, a '53 Chevy coupe with a '72 Camaro front clip and engine installed with the top chopped 4" and the rear window of the Camaro welded to it.
A '37 Ford pickup with a modified frame Heights front suspension and '89 Thunderbird IRS. The frame is narrowed to allow the body to be channeled over it and kicked up to allow the IRS to fit, also shortened so a 3' bed will be on it.

I have all the toys - TIG, MIG, stick and gas welding equipment. And a small but well equipped machine shop too.

To bad, what you've done for them, they deserve pics
I never got into photos, don't like my own taken so don't do it at all. The Pans are in storage with too much stuff piled in front of them to even think about getting them out. And the '85 is in pieces.

The Pans were put away years ago after having 2 strokes on mothers day weekend in 2010. Don't trust myself to ride anymore.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Sounds a lot like my garage... stuff keeps piling... I'm not into pics myself but have been trying to document some of the cool stuff that occurs there... last time I turned my lathe on was to replace the cheap Chinese plastic throttle on the motorized bicycle with an aluminum one... I forgot to take the finished pics but it came out better than the original.

Sorry to hear about your stroke... that sucks big time.

See pictures are fun! I just don't include myself in them :D

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpg

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
(From Post # 1 )I just took the 92 Maxim in to the Mechanic, my Jaw hit the floor between $2 to $3k. New wiring alone will $700, but I want new ape handle bars, fat boy seat, custom pipes, speed odometer, grips, he'll figure out if the motor is good to go, if not I sell the tank and the bike for parts.

It'll be hard for me to get 4k out of it, I paid $400 in the first place.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
(From Post # 1 )I just took the 92 Maxim in to the Mechanic, my Jaw hit the floor between $2 to $3k. New wiring alone will $700, but I want new ape handle bars, fat boy seat, custom pipes, speed odometer, grips, he'll figure out if the motor is good to go, if not I sell the tank and the bike for parts.

It'll be hard for me to get 4k out of it, I paid $400 in the first place.

kv
So tooling along a few weeks ago I notice my turn signals aren't working. OK, hand signals. Then I look down at my little voltmeter which is reading about 6 volts. I made it home on the battery. So I charge the battery and start the bike and disconnect the three phase stator and check the phase to phase AC voltage. The stator looks good. I go to my local Harley dealer and they actually have a regulator for my 92. Great but quickly not so great. Soon as I looked at the regulator I knew it was not what I had. I go home, yank my regulator and drag it back up there. No markings but fortunately one guy recognized the logo on my regulator.

Lucky me, I have a Thunder Heart 3 Phase High Output charging system. All I want and need is the regulator but they won't sell just the regulator. So $400 later I have the whole kit including the regulator. You have to love it! On the bright side I now have a spare stator assembly. :) At some point someone put a custom carburetor on my bike which is not compatible with my cruise control, a very expensive reverse package and now I discover a high output charging system.

The good news is the bike is running fine as we finally are seeing nice days.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
So tooling along a few weeks ago I notice my turn signals aren't working. OK, hand signals. Then I look down at my little voltmeter which is reading about 6 volts. I made it home on the battery. So I charge the battery and start the bike and disconnect the three phase stator and check the phase to phase AC voltage. The stator looks good. I go to my local Harley dealer and they actually have a regulator for my 92. Great but quickly not so great. Soon as I looked at the regulator I knew it was not what I had. I go home, yank my regulator and drag it back up there. No markings but fortunately one guy recognized the logo on my regulator.

Lucky me, I have a Thunder Heart 3 Phase High Output charging system. All I want and need is the regulator but they won't sell just the regulator. So $400 later I have the whole kit including the regulator. You have to love it! On the bright side I now have a spare stator assembly. :) At some point someone put a custom carburetor on my bike which is not compatible with my cruise control, a very expensive reverse package and now I discover a high output charging system.

The good news is the bike is running fine as we finally are seeing nice days.

Ron
My deal is my Garage so small, I'm putting up a 10x10 in the backyard. I was saving this build as a retirement build, but need the space. Darn thing is my children are taking the space at the wrong time. I have a year, thinking forward will need to calculate my house finish and sell at retirement. I need to down size, get off the main road and out into an area not so freaking populated. But, when you leave population you get rural, with that comes animals getting loose and at night it's a 50/50 chance you'll end up hitting and animal.

My good friend was riding and hit a cow early in the morning, he's ok but had to have surgery for a hip fracture. 9 months of rehab.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My deal is my Garage so small, I'm putting up a 10x10 in the backyard. I was saving this build as a retirement build, but need the space. Darn thing is my children are taking the space at the wrong time. I have a year, thinking forward will need to calculate my house finish and sell at retirement. I need to down size, get off the main road and out into an area not so freaking populated. But, when you leave population you get rural, with that comes animals getting loose and at night it's a 50/50 chance you'll end up hitting and animal.

My good friend was riding and hit a cow early in the morning, he's ok but had to have surgery for a hip fracture. 9 months of rehab.

kv
Just put up a 24' X 32' a few years ago. Now my bike and my neighbors bike winter there. When we retired I wanted to go south but my wife wanted to remain here. I figure since I will likely die here I may as well make it the way I want it. Cows no but I have seen as many as 9 deer in our front yard. Have a nice shed and the bike would have fit but I went ahead with the garage. :)

Maybe this year we will insulate and add gas heat.

Ron

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Just put up a 24' X 32' a few years ago. Now my bike and my neighbors bike winter there. When we retired I wanted to go south but my wife wanted to remain here. I figure since I will likely die here I may as well make it the way I want it. Cows no but I have seen as many as 9 deer in our front yard. Have a nice shed and the bike would have fit but I went ahead with the garage. :)

Maybe this year we will insulate and add gas heat.

Ron
This house has 19' easement in the back so the Utility Company can take care of the power lines, transformer etc. I need the shed to put my wife's hoarding, the Garage is 14' x 24' it's powered and heated. The bikes stay warm and dry. :) They had these sheds on sale, last years model for $900, I should have purchased two, I'll wire it up at least it's really close to the house. Doing sprinklers tomorrow, been getting ready to do trim in the house.

I need room in the Garage for my tools, plumbing, wood, flooring, auto, paint, gardening. This shed allows me to store off the floor storage. The tiller, Lawnmower, Snow blower, Weed eater, rakes, shovels, wheelbarrow, type stuff will be on the floor.

I have about a year from July 1st to get it all done, this is down hill from where I began 10 years ago. Trouble is when it's done, it'll start all over again when I move to a new location.

kv

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Oh all those things take up valuable storage. I have a nice 5HP table saw I’m unable to access without pulling everything out. I’ve built a router table attachment for it also. I have been wanting to do a 12ft extension on the front of the garage but until I rethink this it will just accumulate more stuff. Maybe it’s time for a spring clean and a garage sale. So I can focus on what I need.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Oh all those things take up valuable storage. I have a nice 5HP table saw I’m unable to access without pulling everything out. I’ve built a router table attachment for it also. I have been wanting to do a 12ft extension on the front of the garage but until I rethink this it will just accumulate more stuff. Maybe it’s time for a spring clean and a garage sale. So I can focus on what I need.
Yes, I'm in the middle of doing that, many times trips to Salvage I'f I get without any time on my part take it to Salvation Army, then do the deductions.

kv

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
The problem with me going to places like that. I find more interesting things I don’t need.
That's the reason I had to stop going to flea markets, swap meets and garage sales.:) When in grade school our city had something called "spring clean up", where you could put unwanted things to the curb and city would pick them up and take to the dump. My mom had to threaten me every year not to bring anything home, but I still did.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
That's the reason I had to stop going to flea markets, swap meets and garage sales.:) When in grade school our city had something called "spring clean up", where you could put unwanted things to the curb and city would pick them up and take to the dump. My mom had to threaten me every year not to bring anything home, but I still did.
I lived near a Salvage Type Store, when I got bored as a kid I headed to it and just wandered around looking at peoples used stuff. One time I went in just after having my first son, there sat a scrolled high chair with a wooden top sitting in the isle. I grabbed it thinking this thing is really old, when from around the corner this little hispanic women began beating me with something in her hand:eek:

I let go and backed up putting my hands up open fingers in front of me. Good lord, nothing is worth that I thought.

My wife enjoys watching "Flea Market Flip" along with home shows it's all amusing to her, but to me it's just watching other people work. With that said, time to go out and get busy.

kv:(:D

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I’m just as bad as you guys. I started going to the scrap yard once I started machining got to know the guys at my local one and they let me buy stuff. I have brought home a lot of cool stuff. I’ve even made money once when I found some copper/silver brazing rods they sold for price of copper. My wife stopped complaining after I got a check for $2500 after the assay. Now a days I try to be more selective. I got a large supply of DIP 74xxx chips in tubes. Anyhow all kinds of treasure to me.