Bikes, Bikes, Bikes.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Side.jpg Tank.jpg Top.jpg

So, at @Reloadron request I thought maybe a "Bike Thread" could be fun if done right.

1. Bicycles, vintage, custom, new, unique.

2. Motorcycles, same parameters, not excluding European, diesel.

3. Current projects, Ideas, engineering.

I like them all. I used to ride my Bicycle on average around 20 miles a day.

kv

Edit: My current project 92 Yamaha Maxim straight 4 750cc.

Got it for $400. I saved it from rusting under a Carport, sat for 3 years as I rode past, finally I walked up to the door and made an offer to buy it. They wanted $1500, but I pointed out the amount of work it would take to finish the Bike. Carb rebuild, new ape hangers, custom pipes, wire harness, battery, put a fat boy seat instead of the skinny diamond seat. The kid was going to a party up Provo Canyon when he Roached the wire harness on the front tire, he lost his headlight and tried to rewire in the dark, I think he knocked out a spark Module, one of the 4 pistons wasn't firing on his return home. My hope is he didn't throw a rod forcing the bike to run.

If I can finish it, I think I can get around $2800, the custom tank is worth at least $1000. What do you think?

Last edited:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
This one is mine been all over from North Carolina to California and South Dakota 36186CFC-BCDA-4ACE-8776-4388237FD172.jpeg

A project for a buddy. It came in not running and half in boxes.
19067CA7-F2E8-47CA-85FF-35A4268877DC.jpeg

Turned a SS flange for another buddy TIG welded came out nice.
819795AA-F594-4C13-BCBA-4D522ACE2057.jpeg

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Hey kilivolt that bike was not a bad deal. I love working on old bikes. I’m sure the engine is fine. Look for metal particles in oil if you think he threw a rod. Check compression. Better yet pull plug stick a rod in the plug hole and see if it moves when you turn engine by hand.

I started on a 82 CB750. I still keep a manometer to tune those carbs.

Looks like a fun project. I’m looking for another sportster to build. I like them a lot for short bar runs.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
This was my latest bike when I first got it. My neighbor just had to convince me after several years of not riding I needed to get back into it. What he really wanted was someone to ride with and go to bike nights with. :) The bike is a 92 Harley Electroglide. Now I see the bike like I see a fine rifle or a good truck. Matter of fact, even food. Like the fore mentioned a bike, truck or rifle becomes an extension of our individual personal taste. When I got this bike it was 25 years old and had 4,000 original miles on it. Someone before me actually put on a custom racing carburetor which I see as a waste on a big road bike, a reverse package which I never use and a high output alternator system.

The Bike 4.png

The wrap around rear lighting is gone, simply not my taste and some guy gave me good money for them, just not my taste. The initials on the gas tank are also gone, hey they weren't mine anyway. :) I put the tour pack back on it and went back to original rear lights. I went with Daymaker headlight and spots which really improved night visibility. We just had a fellow die hitting a deer with a Harley a few days ago up here.

Bike Tour Pack.png

Currently I would love to find a early 70s Honda 750 Four or even a nice 550 Four as I have fond memories of both. My very first bike was a 90 cc Yamaha dirt bike while I was stationed in Japan. Then I shipped home a Yamaha 125 Enduro. Over the years there was a 305 Honda Dream and I forget how many others. One bike I really liked was my 1100cc Honda Shadow and that was also the first direct drive bike I ever had. Anyway maybe next year a trike and if I see a sweet clean old Honda 550 or 750 I might have to think about it. :)

Finally a picture of Kathy and I getting ready to cruise before she got sick.
Kathy on Bike.png

The little piece of truck in the above is Kathy's 99 little Tahoe sort of minty from Arizona. The truck has been in the garage over the last year. I am a member of our local Cleveland HOG Chapter and we do have a few good weekly Bike Nights around here. Matter of fact tomorrow is the first of the year at my local Harley Dealership around the block from home.

Ron

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Built this years ago. It was a girls huffy but it’s been cut and rewelded with engine mount tubing added. Since then I’ve beefed up the rear wheel drop outs and now working on 3 cell lithium lighting with brake light. It goes about 40mph and get about 100mpg. My son loves to ride around in the summer.

The engine is a 80cc 2 stroke with an actual clutch.

D6B96BCD-8DA3-46B5-98D2-150A4C08A27E.jpeg

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I'm fascinated with them as well. I got into building them by helping my friend's son fab up a few of them... some got very interesting with the welding and machining... We fabbed all kinds of parts: engine covers, handle switch block (brass) mounts, pipes and mufflers. I wonder where those pictures are... it was a lot of work but a lot of fun. Biggest we built was using a 212cc 4 stroke with a jackshaft drive and centrifugal clutch.

The engine in the one above is ported and matched. I did a mild port job and balanced the flywheel and it just runs great...

@shortbus
The Whizzer engines are pricey if you can find a working one. I love the old indians and harleys from the 20's... beautiful stuff.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm fascinated with them as well. I got into building them by helping my friend's son fab up a few of them... some got very interesting with the welding and machining... We fabbed all kinds of parts: engine covers, handle switch block (brass) mounts, pipes and mufflers. I wonder where those pictures are... it was a lot of work but a lot of fun. Biggest we built was using a 212cc 4 stroke with a jackshaft drive and centrifugal clutch.

The engine in the one above is ported and matched. I did a mild port job and balanced the flywheel and it just runs great...

@shortbus
The Whizzer engines are pricey if you can find a working one. I love the old indians and harleys from the 20's... beautiful stuff.
I was just going to say, weld up a tank cut and fit like the old 1920's bike slam job, the retro look is appealing. My son has one, he got it working and when I asked he said he can't get it started, I should look into it but don't have the time and need the room in my Garage. Once I sell my dad's house and retire next year I can do it.

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
My Virago 1100cc I'm going to do a special battery between the front forks under the headlamp, I'll just have the wires going to the turn signals and brake lights in the rear. I'll do that same for the Maxim if it turns out. I might need some machining to create the case, I'll let you know how it turns out, not till I sell my dads house this year of course.

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.com

kv

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Interesting battery. I’m waiting for a safer battery to finally come out. They have a solid electrolyte LiPo they’re getting ready to manufacture. You can cut it puncture it and no fire. I’ll try to figure out where I saw it. Prob PBS maybe on Prime. Think it was called the future of energy or something like that. First time it was revealed on video.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Interesting battery. I’m waiting for a safer battery to finally come out. They have a solid electrolyte LiPo they’re getting ready to manufacture. You can cut it puncture it and no fire. I’ll try to figure out where I saw it. Prob PBS maybe on Prime. Think it was called the future of energy or something like that. First time it was revealed on video.
Ya, I seen that one. I'd like to have them finally manufactured.

kv

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
My old unit, the Royal Corp of Signals of course had dispatch riders by tradition.
They had a performance team using the old Triumph side valve/flat head.
Max.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Started out with a Cushman scooter in the 50's, a Triumph 200 Cub in the 60's, a Honda 305 Dream, and Triumph 650 TR-6 in the 70's, a Honda 650 Nighthawk, in the 80's, and now have a Triumph 1050 Sprint Triple.
The last bike is the first I've had that I haven't said "Wish I had a little more power".
It can get me in all the trouble I need inside of 4 seconds. :cool:

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Started out with a Cushman scooter in the 50's, a Triumph 200 Cub in the 60's, a Honda 305 Dream, and Triumph 650 TR-6 in the 70's, a Honda 650 Nighthawk, in the 80's, and now have a Triumph 1050 Sprint Triple.
The last bike is the first I've had that I haven't said "Wish I had a little more power".
It can get me in all the trouble I need inside of 4 seconds. :cool:
we need pictures!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I love the old indians and harleys from the 20's
I'm not a picture guy so you need to take my word for it. I have two Harley Panheads, a '57 and a '58, and a '85 FLHTC.

The '85 I took all of the dresser stuff off except the bags added lowering shocks on the rear and 3" under forks. And built a new front fender that fits closer to the wheel. The headlight was the last piece I was building for it. It started out as a "35 Chevy torpedo style that I split down the middle then cut the length down to the diameter that fits with a "59 Corvette headlight ring I got at a swapmeet. Then I formed metal to fill the gap and fit the shape of the Vette headlight ring. Got it all ready to Tig back together and had a few heart attacks in a row, so it's sitting in the shop.

Both of the pans were real basket cases or box cases, all in pieces when I bought them. They both got customized when I built them with many home made stainless and aluminum parts for them. Was a die maker so did the parts at work. Stuff like special intake manifolds, kicker pedals stainless oil tanks oil coolers and spin off oil filters using Chevy oil filters. But the actual style of the bikes are kind of minimalist, like modern day bobbers. I like simple.

Started out as a teenager building mini bikes. Once it's in your blood it's hard to shake.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I have an 83 shovelhead engine sitting in my garage... been almost gone over... cleaned everything getting new gaskets... I like minimalist bikes. Was considering a hardtail build but might go softail give my tailbone a break. Just needs a rolling chassis but I seem to have too many projects and slowing down as I grow older.

It definitely gets in your blood. I really love the sound of carbed harley my EFI is so smooth... but reliable

My dad wrote a panhead as a motorcycle cop back in the day.