Big Trouble In Little California

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Just something interesting...

I bought a small stuffed doggie and had it delivered to her house and she loved it and sent me a new selfie with her holding the little thing in her arms.
It was just beautiful!

I'd love to post that pic here but i'd really have to ask her first.

Thanks again to all for the ideas and suggestions and any new ideas please post.

Hi,

Well thanks for the reply but not sure what you mean by 'if she does talk about her mother or dog'.
If it bothered her, why would she not talk about it?
I encourage her to talk so that i can understand her better, but please elaborate i like to hear more insight.
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding but your question identifies how an in depth discussion of a topic like PTSD and specific people isn't appropriate on a forum. It's why I tried to stick to some basics because there is no formula to solutions. If you hadn't mentioned her reaction about what happened to her dog and how that situation piled on to her already existing difficulties I wouldn't have said anything.

From experience I can only tell you there is talking and then there is really talking. I know that may be difficult to process what that means. Solving PTSD doesn't begin until the sufferer begins to understand what they are going through and why. That can take years of talking with others and may never happen at all. People suffering from PTSD don't go through it because they know what's going on. If they did they would work through it. I've never met anyone with PTSD that enjoys it and looks forward to the next day or how they are effecting others. Your friends reactions have obviously effected you and will keep effecting you until she solves it or you've had enough. It's not going to start to go away until she begins to really understand what's going on. I'm only guessing from afar here but I would bet there is something common between her mother and her dog that's she's not putting together and holding her back. PTSD is seldom the result of a single tragic event. It's a death by a thousand cuts.

You might consider getting one of the many great books written on the subject and see if you can identify your friend. PM me if you like.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

Did you mean the difference between one 100 dollar bill and a hundred 1 dollar bills?
I was pretty corked last night, sorry about that. I don't think they can detect it at the airport, maybe in a lab. I was thinking 10 $100 bills vs 100k in $1 dollar bills.

kv

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
My wife has traveled Cleveland to Phoenix round trip several times with a few thousand dollars in her purse. Mostly 100s and 20s. Never a problem and she was never even questioned about it. All of my travels were long before there was a TSA or any other security but I want to recall anything over ten thousand US dollars on international flights had to be declared.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
My wife has traveled Cleveland to Phoenix round trip several times with a few thousand dollars in her purse. Mostly 100s and 20s. Never a problem and she was never even questioned about it. All of my travels were long before there was a TSA or any other security but I want to recall anything over ten thousand US dollars on international flights had to be declared.
I can vouch for that. Anything over 10k when crossing the border into the US has to be declared. And that is a requirement for each family, not just each individual.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Oh ok thanks.
But i just realized, what about coming back with a drivers license ID from New Jersey boarding in Los Angeles?
Do they like that or not? That's all i have, no CA drivers license.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi again,

Oh this just developed. I am finally going!

I also realize they see the drivers license is from the state i am going to so duh :)

Please some prayers and good wishes this is going to be a voyage like none I've taken before and i hope to God i can do some good once i get there, but i just cant stand to see her exist like that anymore. I said no several times in the past but it's gotten to the point where it's a necessity now. I just hope i get there safely so i can do some good.
Really if you do pray, pray for me and also for her please.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Things have changed since the old days when you got printed tickets in the mail.

At its simplest, be sure your "itinerary" is not your boarding pass. They may look very similar. If you did your ticket online and more than 24 hours in advance, you got an itinerary and a confirmation. Then, 24 hours or less before departure, you can go to the airline's site and get your boarding pass. You can also use your confirmation to get your boarding pass at the airport at a kiosk or at the counter. For domestic flights, very few people see an agent unless they are checking baggage or need to re-route.

You may need your confirmation to get your boarding pass at the airport, if you don't have it beforehand. Although, I suspect there are backup procedures for people who forget.

Once you have your boarding pass, just go to the gate. There will be announcements about when to board. For United, there was an agent at the boarding gate, but he/she did almost nothing except stop people with excess baggage. Everything is bar coded, and passengers just scanned their boarding passes and entered the boarding ramp. I had a seat assignment. When others have assignments, those without assignments will be the last group boarding. Just listen to the announcements.

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Things have changed since the old days when you got printed tickets in the mail.

At its simplest, be sure your "itinerary" is not your boarding pass. They may look very similar. If you did your ticket online and more than 24 hours in advance, you got an itinerary and a confirmation. Then, 24 hours or less before departure, you can go to the airline's site and get your boarding pass. You can also use your confirmation to get your boarding pass at the airport at a kiosk or at the counter. For domestic flights, very few people see an agent unless they are checking baggage or need to re-route.

You may need your confirmation to get your boarding pass at the airport, if you don't have it beforehand. Although, I suspect there are backup procedures for people who forget.

Once you have your boarding pass, just go to the gate. There will be announcements about when to board. For United, there was an agent at the boarding gate, but he/she did almost nothing except stop people with excess baggage. Everything is bar coded, and passengers just scanned their boarding passes and entered the boarding ramp. I had a seat assignment. When others have assignments, those without assignments will be the last group boarding. Just listen to the announcements.
Thank you so much for that reply. As you probably have gathered long ago, i have not flown in some 40 years. Thus i cant remember how it worked even back then, much less how it works now, but now i know a little more which i think is all i needed now.

So i will probably go to the kiosk or desk to get the boarding pass. My printer is a pain in the neck so i didnt bother with that.

Thanks again.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't know about your departure airport. In Cleveland, kiosks are everywhere. It was about 5:30 AM for a 7:06 AM flight, and I saw a long line of people. They looked like they they were in one of those snaking lines for the ticket counter. As I went to the security check in, I discovered the line was for security. The counter was empty -- no lines at all. The security line moved surprisingly fast. They were using "millimeter" scanning and there was no need to remove ones shoes.

Your confirmation is probably barcoded, but there is also a confirmation number on it. The confirmation number is probably all you will need to get your boarding pass. That plus your ID will get you through security.

You may see signs for "TSA pre-screening" and "TSA screening." The line for pre-screening was quite a bit longer at CLE. I just went straight to the screening line. In talking with others, I get the sense that "pre-screening" is generally a waste of time unless that line is very short. You still have to go through the screening line, but may be offered a short-cut to cut in front of others if you pre-screen.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Maybe now is not the moment but prior returning home, ask how to do your check in and have the boarding pass sent to your email (provided you can show that, when required, on your moblie's screen). I forgot printers thanks to that.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Thank you so much for that reply. As you probably have gathered long ago, i have not flown in some 40 years. Thus i cant remember how it worked even back then, much less how it works now, but now i know a little more which i think is all i needed now.

So i will probably go to the kiosk or desk to get the boarding pass. My printer is a pain in the neck so i didnt bother with that.

Thanks again.
Since you obviously are comfortable with technology, Ill mention that most airlines have an app. Your itinerary AND boarding pass are available on your smartphone. You can bypass the desk or kiosk and your boarding pass will be scanned directly from your phone.

I email both to myself as a backup. But with the phone app, you don’t have a ton of paper to deal with.

And yes! Agents will assist you if you lose any of your authorization. You just need a drivers license. Ask me how I know.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Al, you are going to do just fine. Just allow time before your flight. Get to the airport a few hours before the flight, get through the security and then relax till you board your plane. Once aboard just order a drink, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Ron

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Since you obviously are comfortable with technology, Ill mention that most airlines have an app. Your itinerary AND boarding pass are available on your smartphone. You can bypass the desk or kiosk and your boarding pass will be scanned directly from your phone.

I email both to myself as a backup. But with the phone app, you don’t have a ton of paper to deal with.

And yes! Agents will assist you if you lose any of your authorization. You just need a drivers license. Ask me how I know.
Hi,

Oh that's interesting, how do they scan it?

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Al, you are going to do just fine. Just allow time before your flight. Get to the airport a few hours before the flight, get through the security and then relax till you board your plane. Once aboard just order a drink, sit back and enjoy the ride.

Ron
Hi,

Thanks Ron, geeze you think i was going to Africa right? ha ha
But it is nerve racking going for the first time in so long. I forgot how to do things.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Hi,

Oh that's interesting, how do they scan it?
You open the app and there is s selection for “Boarding Passes”. It displays a bar code on the smartphone display which the scan using a handheld scanner or some locations have a flat scanner onto which you place your phone face-down.

Sometimes it’s a bar code. Sometimes it’s a QR code. But the code contains the information required to link back to your reservation. As I understand, it doesn’t contain any personal data; just a link.

It’s the same technology that some retail companies use for coupons (no more clipping) or that is used in theaters when you purchase movie tickets in advance.

I always use the app to check-in the night before and to make my seat selection (either when booking or the night before). Depends on the airline.