Batteries down the well

M dri

Joined Jan 18, 2020
Hi, I am a first time poster in need of some advice.
Whilst inspecting my household drinking well, my torch with four 18650 cells plunged to the bottom.
The torch is waterproof but probably not at the 24ft depth of my well.
What reactions are likely to take place, and what if any contamination risks are there for my household water supply?
I can drain the well and attempt to salvage the torch but it is high summer here (New Zealand) and I am reluctant to ditch all that water.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Do you know the exact type of battery?

Get them out of there- regardless.
Invest the effort, I would no want to drink rotting battery stew under any circumstances.

M dri

Joined Jan 18, 2020
Do you know the exact type of battery?

Get them out of there- regardless.
Invest the effort, I would no want to drink rotting battery stew under any circumstances.
The 18650 Li-ion batteries I have are magnetic. Can you go fishing with a powerful magnet?
It an aluminum torch so I have my doubts.
I fished a dead rabbit out with a butterfly net a while back, it will be my best bet, but not a sure thing .

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
It an aluminum torch so I have my doubts.
I fished a dead rabbit out with a butterfly net a while back, it will be my best bet, but not a sure thing .
I am talking about the battery casing itself, not what the torch cover was made of. Aluminum is great. It will allow a magnet to stick to the batteries inside and is probably relatively thin compared to what a plastic case might be.

M dri

Joined Jan 18, 2020
I am talking about the battery casing itself, not what the torch cover was made of. Aluminum is great. It will allow a magnet to stick to the batteries inside and is probably relatively thin compared to what a plastic case might be.
I have a strong magnet for welding, I will try. May not need to waste the water!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The welding magnet is worth a try. Scrapped neodymium ("super") magnets might be stronger. One source is old hard drives. Just be sure your fishing line doesn't break. ;)

M dri

Joined Jan 18, 2020
The welding magnet is worth a try. Scrapped neodymium ("super") magnets might be stronger. One source is old hard drives. Just be sure your fishing line doesn't break. ;)
Thank you for your replies. I will try in the morning and let you know.

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010
Yes magnet fishing will get it ...18650's are a steel container which can withstand/contain considerable pressure , nothing can leak into the water

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
I doubt that lithium will leak out of the battery metal case. If it does and it touches water then it will probably catch on fire.

Lithium is used as a medicine. Look it up to see what happens if you overdose.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I doubt that lithium will leak out of the battery metal case. If it does and it touches water then it will probably catch on fire.

I have no personal experience with lithium as a medicine. You?

Anyway, the toxicity of such batteries is more likely related to cobalt in them than anything else after they corrode. Considering everything possibly in a well, I would try to retrieve them. If that failed, I would just go forward, unless I really, really liked that flashlight and wanted to retrieve it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Lookup Lithium Medicine in Google. It is used for Bipolar Disorder and its side effects are bad and an overdose is deadly.
No doubt about the toxicity of lithium in an overdose. But have you calculated the concentration in a well of undefined volume over an unknown number of years in which it might leach out of those unknown number of batteries?

oz93666

Joined Sep 7, 2010

There is no metallic lithium in these cells it's an inert compound of lithium ....

It cannot leak out , the steel tube is a pressure container designed to prevent any leakage ...

There is a slight possibility of electrolysis occurring ...ANY battery put in water containing minerals will start electrolysis , chlorine gas emitted will react with the metal terminals , nothing in practice to worry about , too small amounts .