A circuit that closes twice in small intervals when powered on and then stays open

skpatra22

Joined Aug 11, 2019
Hi All,

I am trying to automate an existing board with push buttons/tactile switch. I want to create a circuit that closes the circuit twice when powered on simulating push button was pressed twice when powered on.
But once the push button is bypassed and closed twice by the circuit it remains open till next power up.

I don't want to use any microcontroller.
I want this to be a cheap solution.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Susanta

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Sounds like something a CD4060 counter/timer could do.
What's the voltage.
Do you need relay contacts to simulate the push-button closure, or do you know what the switch does?

skpatra22

Joined Aug 11, 2019
Sounds like something a CD4060 counter/timer could do.
What's the voltage.
Do you need relay contacts to simulate the push-button closure, or do you know what the switch does?
Thanks for the suggestion.
Grateful for your reply.
I will definitely look into it.
I was thinking if it can be done just with transistor and capacitor/resistors.

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Do you have any particular reason for not using a processor?
I don't quite understand why you would not. A processor like an Arduino would make it easy, and enable the timings to be adjusted as required.
And the price can be very low if you Ebay it all.
I can get an Arduino Pro Mini Atmega168 for $2.34AU. It requires a programming lead for an extra $5 or so, but that is uesed for others too.
Or an Arduino Nano for $4.30AU.
That is pretty hard to beat.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I was thinking if it can be done just with transistor and capacitor/resistors.
It could be but it would take quite a few of all those components to generate the two sequential pulses you want.
Generating those two pulses is not a trivial problem, and is most easily done with a micro, as dendad suggested.

skpatra22

Joined Aug 11, 2019
Do you have any particular reason for not using a processor?
I don't quite understand why you would not. A processor like an Arduino would make it easy, and enable the timings to be adjusted as required.
And the price can be very low if you Ebay it all.
I can get an Arduino Pro Mini Atmega168 for $2.34AU. It requires a programming lead for an extra $5 or so, but that is uesed for others too.
Or an Arduino Nano for $4.30AU.
That is pretty hard to beat.
Thank you.
I will take the wise man's word on this.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
uP is best for your purpose, but if you must use non-uP, here is a circuit. Many years ago I made this to pulse the third brake light on my car. When you apply the brakes, it pulses a selected number of times, then remains on. It goes off when you step off the brake. You can set the pulse rate and the number for pulses with the pots.

BrakeLight01Rev.jpg

Last edited:

skpatra22

Joined Aug 11, 2019
uP is best for your purpose, but if you must use non-uP, here is a circuit. Many years ago I made this to pulse the third brake light on my car. When you apply the brakes, it pulses a selected number of times, then remains on. It goes off when you step off the brake. You can set the pulse rate and the number for pulses with the pots.

View attachment 186292
Really grateful for putting up this diagram.
Thank you for your help.
I will let you know after I have given it a try.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
I have an old CD4060 circuit for this, but ...

Assuming the switch-simulating output can be an open-drain MOSFET,

1 - Inverter (1/6 hex inverter or equivalent)
1 - 2-input NAND gate (1/4 package)
R's, C's, etc.

1 chip, 24 soldered pins, no 555's, no development system, no code programming, no device programming, $1.00.

This can be done with two sections of a CD4093 Schmitt trigger quad NAND gate, or four sections of the same gate all acting as inverters, or four sections of a CD40106 Schmitt trigger hex inverter.

ak

Last edited:

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Here is a circuit from 2017 that puts out a double pulse when powered up. You can ignore U1C and D (but their inputs must be connected to something), and delete X1 and the connection between U1 pins 10 and 11. A 2N7000 MOSFET gate connects directly to U1B pin 4, source to GND, and the drain is the output.

R1-C1 and R3-C3 set the widths of the two pulses, and R2-C2 sets the time delay between them. On powerup, C2 holds the U1A inputs low, so the output is high. The other end of C3 is pulled high by R3, so U1B is acting as an inverter. Pin 6 is held low for approx one R-C time constant, forming the first output pulse. After that pulse, pin 6 stays high so any activity on pin 5 is simply inverted at the output.

After one R2-C2 time constant the output of U1A goes low, pulling both sides of C3 low. C3 then starts charging through R3. U1B pin 5 sees this as a low pulse, inverts it, and this is the second output pulse.

ak
Double-Pulses-1-c.gif

Last edited:

sam am i

Joined Mar 2, 2014
Double pulses at each power up, adj RC tc's as needed to change period and/or duty. Probably could use any ole cheapy fet on hand, total cost perhaps a few dollars. Suggest driving a SPST relay as I'm not sure of you circuit requires sinking and/or sourcing current .

Double Pulse Crkt.jpg Double Pulse Crkt Plot.jpg

Last edited:

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Below is the LTspice simulation of the timer portion of AK's circuit in post #16.

If you need a relay to provide the contact closure, you can add a transistor and relay at the output.
Don't forget the diode across the relay coil for inductive spike suppression.
Also connect all unused inputs to ground.

upload_2019-9-17_0-43-11.png

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
The initial statement of requirements was rather lacking in quite a few details, such as supply voltage and also the actual output. Was the need for contacts, or a logic level, or mains voltage?
Why do some tout the use of a micro, with it's programming requirements, total lack of repairability, fragile structure, and invisible operation?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
Why do some tout the use of a micro, with it's programming requirements, total lack of repairability, fragile structure, and invisible operation?
I could not resist ;)
Over the years I have designed and built many circuits for industrial control applications.
And, yes, some did not have a micro.
But, as the thread starter was going to build this himself, it could well be a good project for learning a micro. So he would have the code to reveal the "invisible operation". Assuming that is what you are referring to.
The circuits above may well work ok, there is no argument against that. But I would suspect they will be prone to noise and component aging.

Recently, I had a batch of my boards returned for repair after being in the field for around 25 years. These were PIC based controllers. The "fragile structure" that had failed were the electrolytic caps. The micros were still going strong.

I tout the use of a micro as it is often easier and cheaper. A "discrete" design is good too as it shows the logic of the circuit, but I rarely use that now.