12v Dc Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Hi Guys an Gals

Please point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place :)

You know when you have a brainwave then hit a stumbling block:rolleyes: well, Ive just hit the block :D

If I explain what I'm trying to do, then hopefully you can tell if it will work or not.

I have made a little box to supply power for gadgets on my motorbike, it was all going well, I know to fuse each supply, then I had this great idea of putting a LED to show if fuse blown or not (I'm trying to keep it all in a very small plastic box) then I thought wouldn't it be good if LED only light up when the jack is connected, I don't really want to put switches in as they could get knocked & the only dc sockets I can find have closed ciruits meaning the LED is on once power is in the box.

Edit: Sockets have outgoing power with jacks on toys
These are the sockets

Is it possible to do what I want, do they make a open circuit dc socket, I've looked but can't find one.

Hope someone can tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree

Thanks
Graham

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Answer removed since application is for motorbike. Violates terms of service.
Sorry about that :( I asked then was having a nose around on the forum last night & that it is a taboo topic, I shall expect no more answers on this question.

but before I go off in a huff :rolleyes: I'd like to get my facts right :)

I spend half my life on a forum just like this one, it is very easy to use, as my dad used to be an electronics engineer I have always had a passing interest in what makes things work & playing for playings sake :D

So all my questions of how to fix my old bike radio (manufactured for bike equipment, I should hasten to add) that I blew up & purchased another, well that old toy that is longer in use is just begging to be fixed & used as a lesson to help me understand how things work but I'm guessing I cannot ask that now either.

Shame because I'd love to understand what components do what, what power they can take, my questions as a new comer to understanding electronics are endless.

I don't have any personal interest in blinging things or adding anything illegal & certainly wouldn't sue anyone who was helping me, I just wanted to make a little power box for running sat nav, bike radio etc, I can't ride these items & even if it went wrong it would have no effect on handling, I just wouldn't know where I am or be able to speak to my freinds.

but the main thing is I won't get to ever indulge my new passion for playing in my garage unless someone could direct me to a site that can still help me understand electronics, is that allowed, I did ask that very thing at the start.

The only other thing is, when on my normal forum, we would let newcomers know if they had broken the rules before they got moderated, is this site not a community just a Q & A site?

Guess at the end of the day I know to respect rules so wish you all a good & long life in whatever path you follow, as Eric Bibb would say 'we are all connected' even if seas seperate us.

Regards
Graham

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U seem to be on the right track....
Of course we can discuss somethings but I can't say how long.

Show some pictures of what u are doing..it will speed things up

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
I feel like I'm going to get shot for this but here goes

Hopefully you'll see why I am replacing cigarette type sockets due to size as I now need four of them, also they are not very good for staying together

These are the parts I'm using

This is the part I really enjoy, just playing

Hopefull outcome when wired

Giving me a smaller electric supply, heres diagram I am trying with 5v dropper

Thanks for help if you can give it, I hope you understand some of us need to start on basics, the LED when jack plugged in would be nice, trouble with me, I know something can work but the fun part is trying to make something better, it's not about the end goal, that can be achieved, understanding is more fun along with experimenting :D

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Unless I'm mistaken, this project involves a power supply for a range of gadgets. Period. The fact that the OP intends to use it while on a motorbike may raise an eyebrow, but the TOS don't prohibit all stupid activities, just a select set of stupid activities. Since he's not modifying the bike itself, IMHO this isn't a banned topic. It's no different than if he were using this gadget while skiing or skydiving. I accept that my view may not prevail!

Anyway, I'm a bit confused over the desired function. You want the LED to come on almost never, unless a fuse has blown? But once the fuse blows, you want the light on whether there's something in the output jack or not?

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Anyway, I'm a bit confused over the desired function. You want the LED to come on almost never, unless a fuse has blown? But once the fuse blows, you want the light on whether there's something in the output jack or not?
Thanks for helping, hopefully this is the start of my knowledge.
This is just a basic topic to get understanding, I'm hoping to learn lots.
I only want led to come on when load is connected, then go out if fuse blows, if that is possible, so you an instantly see if there is power to said gadget, otherwise led coming on for blown fuse could work.
Thanks
Graham

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
There are simple ways to avoid getting in conflict with the TOS.

All you have to say is you would like a circuit that turns on an LED when the circuit is disconnected from the main 12VDC power source or when the fuse is blown.

Simple solution. Have a small backup battery power the LED circuit internally.
To conserve power, I would make the LED flash at about 2Hz. This is easier to see in bright daylight than a constantly lit LED. If you make the duty cycle 25% it would take 25% of the power that a constant ON LED would consume.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK..the pictures ...are they what u have ?

Ur diagram seems a bit ..I dunno ..what is it?

From ur first post it seems that u wanna make power available from multi port to suite ur needs which basically is either 12V or 5V.
The box supply is 12V , right ?

And u wanna add fuses and add leds.

I see you made a layout.
So u have already done something but now u like to improve it, right.

U want a physical indication of a blown fuse in the box., right ?
Or is there any other way u wanna use the LED's.

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
HA ! HA ! HA ! :D
I let u off on this one since u are new here.
Tag along for a while and u will see what u are missing in life.

I see u are the first guy who actually wondered about my time in this forum.

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
OK..the pictures ...are they what u have ?
They are so far.lol

Ur diagram seems a bit ..I dunno ..what is it?
erm, excuse my poor diagram, I was playing (wheres the embarrassed smiley)

From ur first post it seems that u wanna make power available from multi port to suite ur needs which basically is either 12V or 5V.
The box supply is 12V , right ?
Correct :)

And u wanna add fuses and add leds.
I thought it would be a nice easy start, radio looks more complicated, so this is to build my confidence :D

I see you made a layout.
So u have already done something but now u like to improve it, right.
Just for the sake of playing really, it would work as I have it, I just like idea of experimenting :D

U want a physical indication of a blown fuse in the box., right ?
led to act as indicator for blown fuse

Or is there any other way u wanna use the LED's.
but so it only comes on when jack plugged in (that will draw power off socket)

Thanks

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
HA ! HA ! HA ! :D
I let u off on this one since u are new here.
Tag along for a while and u will see what u are missing in life.

I see u are the first guy who actually wondered about my time in this forum.
I like forum life, hoping to settle in here, boy have I got some learning to do.lol

so where are you based?

It's nice to have a human side to computers :)

Muttley600

Joined Jan 15, 2012
Er ! come again.

by the way I am at Maldives

Wow you really are 5 hrs in front, what are you doing in the middle of the night?

Ok, let me try again, I will have 4 LEDs, 2 yellow to show 5v sockets & 2 green to show 12v sockets.
I would like them to light up when I plug a jack (read toy) in, rather than be on all the time the box has power. The way i see it, it can't bedone while I'm using closed circuit sockets, removing shunt sleeve would only make a circuit when jack plugged in, but I don't know if this is possible to wire round rather than take socket apart?

Last edited:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
What I do not understand is the removing shunt sleeve part...what does it got to do with LED lightning.

Still, to light the LED when that respective plug is in use means u have to inc operate a load sensing circuit. Small little thingamabob will do.

But for that u need to be able to do some practical soldering besides LED and resistors.

So what Happened to the Fuse blown indicating thingy part or what ever ?

Status
Not open for further replies.