Working with Arduiuno to control a stepper motor.

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone has come across or built the
Arduiuno based Toroid coil winding Machine as seen on YouTube? I'm trying to build one and there's some unknowns I'm coming up against that the video doesn't clarify and am getting no response when trying to contact the creator of the video.
For one thing, there is a small PCB that shows come capacitors and other components seen in the video but are not in the wiring diagram or in the parts list provided on the creator's site.

https://electricdiylab.com/diy-arduiuno-based-toroid-coil-winding-machine/#ITEM_USED

Then there is programing the Arduiuno; I do have come codes the creator provides, but no clue or information on how to utilize them or what/how they apply. The PCB while easily fabricated by a vendor would need gerber files for the vendor to fabricate, yet the wiring diagram not showing certain components on the PCB and myself not having the means to generate gerber files puts a real pothole on this road to building the toroid coil winder. All the mechanicals and electro-mechanicals as well as soldering up the PCB is easily doable, it's getting the gerber files made and knowing every component for the little PCB then finally programming the Adruiuno.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
This looks like a fascinating project, dare I say, quite an ambitious project if you are not already familiar with driving a stepper motor with an arduino.

My advice would be to start by driving a stepper motor with and arduino UNO and an SN754410 H Bridge IC or the L293 IC suggested in this project. You can use a ready built module like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115888558571 to make life easy. There is an arduino stepper library you can download, although it's almost easier too write your own code for a specific application if you study how a stepper motor works. There are online tutorials with examples of driving stepper motors.

I'd argue, the mechanical side of this project is more complex than the electronics. Rather than copy all the details exactly I'd spend time really understanding each element of the construction and build in a way that you can test each sub-assembly as you go along.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The L293 is just a double H bridge, you need a stepper translator for constant current control, as well as bridge drive, e.g. IC, L297/L298 combo.

1696170035609.png

Last edited:

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
Thank you Jerry and Max. I will look into the info you've both provided.

What I like about the machine I'm trying to build is that the toroid diameter and number of windings can be input with the knob and LCD display. This for my bigger project is critical to achieve even spacing and multiple layers. The parts from the "Item Used" list on the creator's website I have on hand and they're pretty inexpensive.

I'll dive on ahead and share what comes. Any other input from the community here is appreciated and welcome!

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
BTW, with the circuit shown, they omitted the vref circuit, it would be as follows.
You set the pot to the voltage on pin15 based on the volt drop across the sense resistors based when max current for the motor is present..
R51 R52 would be ~0.5ohms , not wire wound type.

1696178434103.png

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
BTW, with the circuit shown, they omitted the vref circuit, it would be as follows.
You set the pot to the voltage on pin15 based on the volt drop across the sense resistors based when max current for the motor is present..
R51 R52 would be ~0.5ohms , not wire wound type.

View attachment 303933
Ok, I'm going over this and referring to the circuit and will try and muddle through. I'll get out my breadboard to do a mock up and will check back later. Many thanks!

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
This looks like a fascinating project, dare I say, quite an ambitious project if you are not already familiar with driving a stepper motor with an arduino.

My advice would be to start by driving a stepper motor with and arduino UNO and an SN754410 H Bridge IC or the L293 IC suggested in this project. You can use a ready built module like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115888558571 to make life easy. There is an arduino stepper library you can download, although it's almost easier too write your own code for a specific application if you study how a stepper motor works. There are online tutorials with examples of driving stepper motors.

I'd argue, the mechanical side of this project is more complex than the electronics. Rather than copy all the details exactly I'd spend time really understanding each element of the construction and build in a way that you can test each sub-assembly as you go along.
Ok, I'll go over this and try to muddle through.

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
So after going over the issues I'm having in making this machine, the essential problem is not knowing what all the components are on the PCB and incorporating them into the wiring diagram. In the video shown from the 18:00 to 18:30 marks, all components show including items from the "Item Used" list, but there are things missing. My thanks to Max on the Vref. That will help.
1696361166582.png

1. Arduino NANO
  2. A4988 STEPPER DRIVER
  3. ROTARY ENCODER
  4. 16X2 I2C LCD DISPLAY
  5. NEMA 17 STEPPER MOTOR
  6. MOTOR

1696361566955.png

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
The L293 is just a double H bridge, you need a stepper translator for constant current control, as well as bridge drive, e.g. IC, L297/L298 combo.

View attachment 303914
Hello MaxHeadRoom, Thank you for this feedback and the Vref reply. So I understand, are you saying I need the IC, L297/L298 combo and components as you show in your response IN ADDITION to the L293? If so, then where do the connections go to besides the caps, resistors, ground, motor. I see inputs to the L297 though not clear where they connect to. Plus, is the L6210 another component or part of the stepper motor? I admit, I need a little hand holding on this.

Jerry-Hat-Trick

Joined Aug 31, 2022
Looking at the schematic the L293 is being used to drive the DC motor and the A4988 to drive the stepper. I suggest just breadboarding the circuit as shown in stages and writing code to control the DC motor, control speed with feedback from the IR sensor and stepping the stepper motor. On the left of the photo there are capacitors and possibly two linear voltage regulators not shown on the schematic, maybe there is information in the instructions which I confess I haven’t read. As you have the major component items already, maybe just make use of them rather than change the design?

S_Madrone

Joined Oct 1, 2023
Looking at the schematic the L293 is being used to drive the DC motor and the A4988 to drive the stepper. I suggest just breadboarding the circuit as shown in stages and writing code to control the DC motor, control speed with feedback from the IR sensor and stepping the stepper motor. On the left of the photo there are capacitors and possibly two linear voltage regulators not shown on the schematic, maybe there is information in the instructions which I confess I haven’t read. As you have the major component items already, maybe just make use of them rather than change the design?
Hello Jerry, Thank you for the feedback. Yes despite there being components on the PCB not shown in the schematic, me thinks to do exactly what you suggest: breadboard the circuit as seen in the wiring diagram and see what may happen. The video, or the creator's website, does not give any instruction on building the circuit; only shows the components being installed on the PCB. The video does show the PCB both sides before components are loaded. From that I've tried to decipher the traces, components and wiring diagram to figure out where capacitors and the other items not in the schematic would be in a complete and thorough schematic, but it's vexing me. So I'll go with building it as the schematic shows. I'm just worried about frying parts without caps, resistors/pots in place. But, one cannot make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.