Why was this one closed?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Hi guys. I'm sorry, I usually don't bring up threads that have been closed, but I just found this one, and I'm not sure I understand the closure:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=60126

I don't see anything in the TOS that says you can't talk about tesla coils. In fact, there are several existing threads about TCs here and there hasn't been a problem. This member, wauuw, was asking how to safely charge the capacitor bank for his tesla coil from an ignition coil.

Please correct me if I'm wrong in saying that there isn't anything in the TOS that disallows threads about Tesla coils.

Again, I'm sorry to bring this up, but I would like to know what the reasoning was.
Thank you.
Regards,
Der Strom

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
My guess is that perhaps it is the high voltage charging of a capacitor bank. We are talking about several KV here.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The concern is probably the charging of capacitors to high voltage, which represents a considerable amount of energy; very likely lethal if someone came into contact with it.

These Forums are primarily oriented towards novices. People who aren't properly trained should stay away from such projects.

HarveyH42

Joined Jul 22, 2007
I wasn't exactly properly trained, when I built my first Tesla Coil, still not really trained, and I survived (barely). Never got bit by the primary side (hate getting shocked), but the secondary got me many times.

But, how is the amateur hobbyist to get properly trained in safely working with high voltage, and potentially lethal currents, he the information isn't shared? By closing such threads, you would be encouraging them to find out for themselves, the hard way, what many of use were taught in school, and occasionally learned through 'hands-on' experiences.

Just telling someone it's dangerous, doesn't usually deter them. Wouldn't encourage it, but would provide some basic safety guidelines, just in case. The automotive restriction is about the same. It's a legitimate electronics field, and has become quite complex, and beyond the average unschooled mechanic, sometimes even experienced mechanics, are a little weak in the electronics department. Most people have already decided to go ahead with their project, with, or without our help. Sharing the experience, to save someone else the grief, of learning the hard way, is what it's all about.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
But, how is the amateur hobbyist to get properly trained in safely working with high voltage, and potentially lethal currents, he the information isn't shared? By closing such threads, you would be encouraging them to find out for themselves, the hard way, what many of use were taught in school, and occasionally learned through 'hands-on' experiences.
Such experiments should simply not be attempted by untrained persons without being closely supervised by someone who HAS BEEN properly trained. As this is an Internet forum, there is no practical way for those of us who have received the proper training to directly observe and guide those who have not. Even those who have received training can make mistakes that cost dearly in persons and property. There is too much chance of a neophyte misinterpreting what may seem to be simple instructions, and as a result be exposed to grave dangers.

Just telling someone it's dangerous, doesn't usually deter them. Wouldn't encourage it, but would provide some basic safety guidelines, just in case.
There are plenty of ways for people to obtain proper training, in acadamia such as colleges and trade schools, organizations such as the ARRL (American Radio Relay League) and European versions of that organization, schools offered to military personnel, and more. However, the beginner needs to understand that it is extremely dangerous to experiment with high voltage, and that they should simply not attempt to do so without the presence of someone who is knowledgeable/trained in it.

The automotive restriction is about the same. It's a legitimate electronics field, and has become quite complex, and beyond the average unschooled mechanic, sometimes even experienced mechanics, are a little weak in the electronics department. Most people have already decided to go ahead with their project, with, or without our help. Sharing the experience, to save someone else the grief, of learning the hard way, is what it's all about.
This is not up for debate, and as you have been a member almost as long as I have, you should know that.

Even experienced automotive engineers make mistakes that regularly cause people to die and huge losses in property damage, not to mention hundreds of millions per mistake for the manufacturers to correct.

The odds of a neophyte hobbyist building an electronic circuit for a vehicle that functions perfectly for the remaining life of the vehicle are about the same as a snowball's survival in the Sahara during the summer solstice. The potential for causing serious injury/property damage is escalated significantly, either through failure of the system outside of a test environment, or simply inattentiveness of the hobbyist due to their monitoring circuit performance rather than remembering that their primary function behind the wheel is to maintain control of the vehicle at all times.

Except for a trailer harnesses installed by a mechanic (and repairs performed by a mechanic due to recalls correcting above-mentioned errors by professional automotive engineers), all of my recent vehicles have been electrically stock, as they came equipped from the manufacturer; and I have had no electrical problems with them.

Let's not hear any more about it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Back when we were discussing safety issues and TOS Tesla Coils were specifically mentioned. I mentioned competence, specific issues about Tesla Coils are fair game but "how do I do this" from a total beginner aren't.

I could be wrong, I'm new at this game, and another moderator caught the thread first (who is not important, as I would have flagged it).

Basically it will be reviewed, but I suspect it will stay closed. Any circuit that can reach out and tag someone to death or injury will be looked at closely, the TOS lists high energy examples, but it can never be complete.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Let us not forget that the AAC forum is not an ideal and impersonal fountain of knowledge. There are real people behind it and they can face real responsibilities and consequences in case something goes wrong.

Personally, I feel grateful for any piece of advice I have taken from this site. If the site says it can't or won't give me some other knowledge due to its own reasons I respect its wishes.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Okay, thank you all for your replies. I understand your reasoning, so I will back off now. Thank you very much for the explanations!
Regards,
Der Strom