Why do Cells Age and Die?

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Why do cells age and die? Because they are meant to! What is the largest organ of the human body? The skin. The skin sheds a huge amount of dead skin cells every day and renews itself. Can you imagine what we would look like if skin cells didn't die and fall off? We would look like a huge ball after a few years. We would be even more obese than we are getting now. Same goes for most internal organs also!

402DF855

Joined Feb 9, 2013
I heard long ago that all the cells in our body are replaced over a period of 7 years. Don't know if it's true. But I've also heard that female humans are born with a life supply of eggs in their ovaries. Also not sure if it's true. As cells are replaced the telomeres are degraded (shortened?) and possibly other subtle errors pop up in the DNA. Inflammation caused for example by smoking, eating too much sugar, etc. appear to spur cellular replacement and thus accelerate aging.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
If your body cells weren't replaced over time how do you grow? If you keep the same lot of cells all your life they would be as big as grapes or apples surely. Do you know that you shed a huge amount of skins cells everyday? If they weren't replaced you would be raw flesh pretty soon. And yes females are born with a lifetime supply of eggs in their ovaries.
I suspect that local and interstellar radiation has a lot to do with damage to our DNA along with all the crap pollution we are exposed to every day.

Cell death is the event of a biological cell ceasing to carry out its functions. This may be the result of the natural process of old cells dying and being replaced by new ones or may result from such factors as disease, localized injury, or the death of the organism of which the cells are part.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Why do cells age and die? Why do we exist at all? Non-answerable questions! Just accept it and move on.
Life don't have to mean nothin' at all!

Environmental factors, such as ultraviolet rays, poor diet, and alcohol, as well as psychological factors including stress, are putting our cells at risk of significant damage. However, Cells go through a natural life cycle which includes growth, maturity, and death.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
If cells only reproduced and never died where would we be then is the question. Or if like some organisms when the mass reached optimum the organism would reproduce asexually. Then there would be 2 of me. No, Wait... That would never work!!!

visionofast

Joined Oct 17, 2018
duh, nowadays world is filled by the word they always say:
scientists do this...scientists do that...scientists do everything,scientists do everyone.
why this...why that...
whay color of our a$$ is red today?
because scientists have chewed it....
Man...missing the days we used to live in caves...no presence of any scientist.

sisoj

Joined Nov 10, 2019
If you are interested in reversing or at least slowing down this process, look into Autophagy, it is super interesting in my opinion. The process can be triggered by fasting or doing diets low enough in calories that elicit fasting responses.

Here is the definition from google.

"Autophagy is the body's way of cleaning out damaged cells, in order to regenerate newer, healthier cells, according to Priya Khorana, PhD, in nutrition education from Columbia University. “Auto” means self and “phagy” means eat. So the literal meaning of autophagy is “self-eating.” "

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010