Which motor in picture and how to repair it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello,
The washing machine was not working spinning cloth dryer so, technician was called and replaced the motor now it is working
he said motor is damaged may be due to water fall in it.
please have look on motor and tell which type is this and how to repair it?
The motor can't be open due to lock in it.

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If the bearings are bad, or any other internal part for that matter, it cannot be repaired because it cannot be opened as stated in your post. Given that, what difference does it make what type of motor it is?
John

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
The rotation is free so, no change of bearing problem.
the worker said it is damage by water .
is it single phase motor or universal there is no capacitor i think.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
You can't repair it.
You have no knowledge on motors.
The picture shows rust as if water leaked into motor.
The capacitor is separate.
Water might have damaged the wiring/winding or the bearing. A bad bearing will work free, but when powered it will stall the motor

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The motor can't be open due to lock in it.
I would refute that, it most likely is riveted together, if so it is a simple to drill them out and replace with machine screws.
It appears to be a standard induction motor, but I would be very surprised if it is a shaded pole motor with no capacitor for W.M. use.
If you can see any brushes internally then it is a Universal motor, they were used for W.M.'s very frequently some years ago, but not usually seen now.
But the rotor appears to be a squirrel cage type of an induction motor.
M.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
All I can say is winding motor is not for you.
Washing machines using that type of motor has a capacitor else where.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The first step to fixing it is to get it apart and find out exactly what got damaged then go from there.

If the windings shorted out then it's likely not worth fixing but if its something simple like the start switch getting worn or stuck or a wire coming loose then its likely worth fixing.

As for needing a start capacitor I am not so sure. I have salvaged dozens of old wash machine and dryer motors over the years and many of them do not have or need any start capacitors to get them up to speed.

Many work by simply using a much smaller gauge of wire on the start windings so that the start winding set has a much higher resistance yet lower impedance than the run winding which creates the necessary phase shift needed to get the motor spinning.

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
Hello,
I have successfully Removed the Iron frame with the help grinder.

here is the figure how the 3 wires from it.
what was the fault due to which it was not working?

Attachments

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Check the resistance of each wire to each wire. Write them down.

edit : Damn ! you destroyed the motor. How in Dog's name are you going to put it back after repair. You are supposed to grind off the rivets. From the picture it seems you cutoff the metal housing

If you wanna repair motor that way u are better off Googling

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
I am not interested to repair only learn how the winding work
there is lap and wave winding which is this and how the pole north and south work here.
the center armature rotating is only iron type part there is no winding.

Status
Not open for further replies.