What's there to like about like?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Scott,

I got no notice of either a like or unlike. There are clearly timing elements involved, just as there are with edits.

I suspect one needs to wait for the like to register before the unlike will deduct (maybe even >24 hours). As for the subsequent action of the re-like that may only require a shot delay (say 1 hour) or it may also require an intervening archive/maintenance on the forum server.

In the incident described, the like-unlike action was within 36 hours (as I recall -- it really didn't matter to me at the time). The subsequent re-like was at least a day or two later. I think it is significant that the re-like had no alert associated with it. That means that awarding a "re-like," which looks just like awarding a "like" to the person giving the rep. does not act the same in our software. A flag or something is not toggling as one might expect it to. Or to put it differently, a "re-like" is not operating on a clean slate.

John

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Hi Scott,

I got no notice of either a like or unlike. There are clearly timing elements involved, just as there are with edits.

I suspect one needs to wait for the like to register before the unlike will deduct (maybe even >24 hours). As for the subsequent action of the re-like that may only require a shot delay (say 1 hour) or it may also require an intervening archive/maintenance on the forum server.

In the incident described, the like-unlike action was within 36 hours (as I recall -- it really didn't matter to me at the time). The subsequent re-like was at least a day or two later. I think it is significant that the re-like had no alert associated with it. That means that awarding a "re-like," which looks just like awarding a "like" to the person giving the rep. does not act the same in our software. A flag or something is not toggling as one might expect it to. Or to put it differently, a "re-like" is not operating on a clean slate.

John
I just clicked the like button again, and I will wait for 1 hour later then click the unlike button, if you still didn't get the alerts then it should be need more time.

I'm afraid of that you missed the alerts, it could be the members pressed the wrong button, maybe they want to press the "Quotx" function, but pressed the unlike button, this situation specially happens when they using the smart phone, and the orange webpage could be a problem.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Scott,

Your like has shown up, and there was an alert, posted approximately 7:04 AM EDT (my time). Now, please unlike it, but don't re-like until see the change effected.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Well, that action seems to have deleted 2 likes. Maybe moderators count more. No alert and you are not shown in my "likes received" list.

Now, if you would re-like it, let' see what happens.

John

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
@jpanhalt
I think it should be on #17, because I clicked the like on #17 first and replied the messages on #19, I can't click the button and reply the message at the same time.

I just clicked the unlike button on #17 again.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
@WBahn, a moment ago I liked then unliked the post above. Did you received notifications of either or both?
No, I didn't. I would have expected to receive the notification for the Like but not its removal. I suspect that you might have unliked it before the notification for the like was sent out and the system recognized that.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Not my intent. I reported a problem that was ignored, then doubted. My purpose is to validate the problem. Let whoever may want to solve it.

John
It's not your intent that we explore a potential bug that you brought up? Well what was your intent?

Ignored? Your initial post gave a set of events that was easily and fully explained in less than 12 hours. You then provided more information barely twelve hours ago and in less than three hours people were actively trying to explore how the system behaves in light of that. What more do you expect?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Hi Scott,

Got both the alert and a bump of 2, so it seemed to work as expected in this instance. Now, please remove them again, if you will.

John

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
good golly, here's me thinking i was in farcebook for a moment with all the likes and dislikes

personally methinks if you've found something of benefit/useful/made you smile, its worth adding an appreciation of 'thank you' more than a 'like' though that also falls under a variety of definitions

its only 'pixels on a screen', or for some of the older participants 'sticks and stones' :)