What's there to like about like?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
On Wednesday, June 1, at approximately 1 PM, I had 636 likes. By 4 o'clock that afternoon, I only had 631 likes.

Why?

John

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
Since members can like and unlike your posts, the simplest explanation would be that you somehow offended someone's sensibilities and in a fit of pique they removed several of their likes.

If a member gets banned, do the likes they've placed on posts get removed?

Last edited:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since members can like and unlike your posts, the simplest explanation would be that you somehow offended someone's sensibilities and in a fit of pique they removed several of their likes.

Your explanation is simple, and is what I thought initially, but it doesn't fit all the facts.

John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Yes. There are other possibilities, but a bug is hopefully the answer, and there is an easy work around for it, if true.

John

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Your explanation is simple, and is what I thought initially, but it doesn't fit all the facts.

John
What facts doesn't it fit? If someone removed five likes between the two times you checked, that would account for it.

If a liked post of yours is deleted, then the likes go away too. This also applies to a thread containing such liked posts that is deleted.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

No, the likes remain. But if the post that was liked is deleted, the likes are no longer counted.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Here is the sequence of events:
I made 4 posts to this thread: http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/threads/1hz-brief-pulse-from-lmc555cmm.124409/#post-1002688 The TS originally "liked" most, if not all posts. So, I had 4 likes from him and notices thereof. A short time later, he removed the likes and, as expected, the likes were removed from my account. There is no notice given for that. Then, a few days later, the likes reappeared in the thread, but instead of receiving them back, I lost 4 more likes. Again no notice was given when the likes were re-posted. Why not? Moreover, in my "likes received" list, the likes show the original date, not the date they were re-posted.

I went to the Xenforo forum and searched on like/unlike/like and there are discussions of it; however, I could not access them as I was not properly registered. From the titles of the posts, it seems there is some lack of clarity of what actually happens.

Unfortunately, the tools available to members on AAC do not allow one to see "unlikes" nor to see to whom to whom one has given likes so I could run a test. I asked a moderator/administrator by PM to look into it and received no response, so I posted here.

Sure, the evidence is circumstantial, but there is one hard fact. When the TS re-liked, there was no alert of that, and there was no bump in my number. Why not? As for the timing, I do not know the exact date of the re-like. I do know it was after the thread effectively ended (i.e., on May 27th) and on or before June 1st, yet the re-like shows as May 24 (i.e., as the original). Why? And finally, it would seem a simple matter for a moderator to check into those lost points. I have not received notice of posts of mine being deleted since May 24th.

John

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The likes may have reduced by deleting posts from the forum.
If you want to ask technical problems with the forum, better ask @jrap .
He has programmed the looks of this forum and implemented a lot of features.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It might seem like a simple matter for a moderator to check into them, but it isn't. I have absolutely no way to do it. I'm not aware of ANY more capabilities that I have regarding ANY of the things you have mentioned relative to a regular member. I would expect an Administrator to have those capabilities -- though it might require installing add-ins or writing queries to do so.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
You can check all the details for liked alerts from your account/Likes You've Received, every likes and dislike always has alerts, if you can see the like or dislike from forum, but you didn't get the alerts then it could be the bug of forum.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
You can check all the details for liked alerts from your account/Likes You've Received, every likes and dislike always has alerts, if you can see the like or dislike from forum, but you didn't get the alerts then it could be the bug of forum.
But I'm pretty sure that you still won't get an alert when a Like is removed.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Wrong.

1) The re-likes had no alerts.
2) The "un-like" (AAC doesn't have "dislikes") did not give an alert. On forums with dislikes, the dislikes may give alerts.

Yes, I believe there is a bug in the forum.

@DickCappels
Not sure a test among moderators would be applicable, if it failed. There have been numerous instances in which moderators see things differently then members.

The action that doesn't seem to work logically is the "re-like." It seems to work like an unlike, no notice, minus points, but the poster appears in your list of "likes received." At least that is what seems to have happened in the thread I linked to.

John

Last edited:

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
Wrong.

1) The re-likes had no alerts.
2) The "un-like" (AAC doesn't have "dislikes") did not give an alert. On forums with dislikes, the dislikes may give alerts.

Yes, I believe there is a bug in the forum.
Yes, you are right, I forgot to check the correct name.
And I just pressed the like and unlike buttons once, now try mine.