what would you need 880,000 RPM for?

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
hello everyone,
I was approached recently by someone asking me to build a controller for a motor that has an RPM of 880,000.
I was wondering why would you need such a high speed. Any small mistake in installation can kill you. I turned him away just because he was being very shady about the project. Also I had a bad feeling about it. First thing that came to mind was building a centrifuge for uranium. I might be wrong, but I did not want to be associated with that project in any way.

When I told that I won't work on the project unless he shares more information about it, he got really mad and literally said "It is above your pay grade"

Just out of curiosity, what can you do that would need such a high RPM?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
hello everyone,
I was approached recently by someone asking me to build a controller for a motor that has an RPM of 880,000.
I was wondering why would you need such a high speed. Any small mistake in installation can kill you. I turned him away just because he was being very shady about the project. Also I had a bad feeling about it. First thing that came to mind was building a centrifuge for uranium. I might be wrong, but I did not want to be associated with that project in any way.

When I told that I won't work on the project unless he shares more information about it, he got really mad and literally said "It is above your pay grade"

Just out of curiosity, what can you do that would need such a high RPM?
Surgical drills routinely spin this fast.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Energy storage via flywheel?

Would have to be a seriously advanced high tensile strength space-age type material using modern tapered edge design styles.

Have seen old photographs of the devastation created by over speed destruction of one the early type turbo generators. This thing (if that is what it is) would pack the energy of a large explosive should it come apart. And achieving balance that wouldn't tear it apart would require some especially sensitive measuring equipment.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Well, If your the idiot who makes Dyson vacuum cleaners, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...veils-worlds-fastest-motor-in-new-vacuum.html, you would consider 104,000 RPM (brush type RC hobby motors were doing way past that 20 years ago.) to be the world fastest but in reality that's way short of what a simple two pole cylindrical magnet being spun in a HF col can do which is in the million plus RPM range.

As for practicality of use. I can't see one yet.

pjreijiri

Joined Aug 19, 2015
Just for clarification, he wanted to use a BLDC 3 phase motor, and somehow somewhere he asked if the voltage is 1000V