what is this type of ac voltage selector called? and how does it work?

Gabriel_González

Joined May 5, 2020
hello, I bought an ociloscope Kenwood Trio Oscilloscope 10 Mhz Cs1559-a, but I haven't plugged it in yet because I don't understand how the voltage selector works, it's this detachable box that appears in the video
VIDEO

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
Do you have the service manual? If not, it is here: https://www.opweb.de/english/company/Kenwood/CS-1559

Apparently, a jumper is used at that rear plug, and the manual seems to consider it is so obvious as to not describe if further. Please post a clear picture of that connector. Do you have also have the jumper that is used? Or is it s a switch?
From the video it is a jumper block but the markings are not clear in the video. I had the same problem as you with the service manual.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
When it is plugged in the arrow on the plug will point to one of the lines leading to a printed voltage. Plug it in so that the arrow points to the line for whichever voltage you need,

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If you cannot plug that clip it in to point to 117 V (or whatever) as suggested, there there may have been special plugs for each voltage. If that is the case, which you seem to indicate in the video, then I would use a multimeter to figure out how the plug is wired.

Making a new plug with different connections based on the schematic doesn't seem that hard to do. You may be able to open that plug and re-wire it. It is likely ultrasonically or solvent welded, which is not to hard to break though.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
You can make the music, but it isn't the 'scope which makes the music.
You can display the images as in the video as this'scope does have an external 'X' input but you will need some clever circuitry or it could possibly be done with a microcontroller. It won't be easy!

Gabriel_González

Joined May 5, 2020
You can make the music, but it isn't the 'scope which makes the music.
You can display the images as in the video as this'scope does have an external 'X' input but you will need some clever circuitry or it could possibly be done with a microcontroller. It won't be easy!
wow, I can't imagine it would be so complicated, do you have any idea what these external circuits are like ?, thank you very much for your help!