What I am supposed to write in this question about fuzzy logic?

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
There are 2 questions commonly asked(rarely though) in my exams.
1) Explain about mamdani fuzzy inference method with example.

2) explain fuzzy inference with suitable example.

Now I am self studying. I have 4 books with me, but none of them have this content. IDK why tho..There are other details but not about thse 2 questions. Can you just guide me what I am supposed to write here? A framework about what to write would be more than helpful to me.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
The term "Fuzzy Logic" was a marketing buzzword that kind of died out in the late '80s.

It's just an idea that implies a bunch of overlapping "if-then" statements that were supposed to be better than a direct algorithm.
This idea encourages bad programming styles, IMHO.

terabaaphoonmein

Joined Jul 19, 2020
The term "Fuzzy Logic" was a marketing buzzword that kind of died out in the late '80s.

It's just an idea that implies a bunch of overlapping "if-then" statements that were supposed to be better than a direct algorithm.
This idea encourages bad programming styles, IMHO.
I think whole of artificial intelligence that work with reflex agents are like that.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Fuzzy Logic uses an algorithm, it just doesn't use a PID algorithm (assuming it's being used for feedback control of a system).
The advantage of Fuzzy Logic is that it can more readily handle non-linear components and systems with hysteresis, since PID was developed as an analog control system that is predicated on the system being smoothly linear.
Also it's often easier to determine how to correct control-loop problems with Fuzzy Logic.

Addendum Example:
Some time ago a poster on one of these sites was trying to do a PID control system for an Espresso Machine, which involved the control of water temperature, pressure, etc. and was having a problem getting to to work properly, apparently because of the non-linearities in the system.
I suggested he try to do it with Fuzzy Logic, and he came back a few days later saying that his first Fuzzy Logic program worked better than the PID program, and he felt with a little tweaking he could get it to work as he wanted.

They may be just a bunch of If-Then-Else statements, but they are capable of doing a control system that PID can struggle with.

Last edited: