What do you need to live forever

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009

https://www.playboy.com/articles/playboy-interview-ray-kurzweil

From Slashdot:
Kurzweil also thinks his diet can help him live forever. Kurzweil claims that he spends (more likely dollars per year) "a few thousand dollars per day" (or roughly a million dollar a year) on diet pills and eating right. According to a Financial Times report from last year, Kurzweil's breakfast includes:Berries (85 calories for a cup), Dark chocolate infused with espresso (170 calories for an ounce), Smoked salmon and mackerel (100 calories for a 3-ounce serving), Vanilla soy milk (100 calories for a cup) Stevia (zero calories), Porridge (150 to 350 calories for half a cup, depending on ingredients and cooking method), and Green tea (zero calories).Kurzweil takes 100 pills a day (down from 250 a few years ago, technology has advanced, you see) for "heart health" to "eye health, sexual health, and brain health."

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Interesting topic.... check this quote by @joeyd999

All jokes aside, there'll be no life expectancy growing by leaps and bounds simply through eating green vegetables.

Look at this graph:

Lower infant mortality, and better nutrition, medicine, and technology has inflated the area under the curve over the past 100 years, but, there is, and always has been a brick wall between 100 and 110 years old. IMHO, only genetic engineering will start pushing this graph right-ward. Not food.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
What's needed to live forever?

A very good reason. :p

Give me 10 lifetimes and I will get back to you on whether I want any more after that. ;)

I'm not quite half way through one and it's already starting to look pretty tedious. :oops:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Who said I already haven't? :p

My Ex used to ask me all the time what we did to end up with each other to which I always replied that in our past lives we were really terrible people and this our punishment round. :p

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I wouldn't want to live forever because eventually the Sun will run out of hydrogen and start running on helium.

Then it will become a red giant and consume the Earth.

So, unless you've got a way to survive 1800 degree heat for several million years, you wouldn't want to be alive after the next 4 billion years.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Living forever sounds quite tempting... if one were to stay eternally young.

The thing is, I think, that we're all born with brains that are altogether devoid of information (except for our natural, instinctive traits) and discovering the world is one of the greatest pleasures there are... after we grow up comes our turn to contribute something positive to this place using our creative side. But what then? Our best creativity spawns from our early impressions, and once that creativity is manifested, it becomes very, very hard to come up with something fresh and new. Why? because by then we'll be completely impregnated with prejudice and preconceptions.

Considering all that... I don't think I'd like to live forever... not in the present human condition... IMHO

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I wouldn't want to live forever because eventually the Sun will run out of hydrogen and start running on helium.

Then it will become a red giant and consume the Earth.

So, unless you've got a way to survive 1800 degree heat for several million years, you wouldn't want to be alive after the next 4 billion years.
Oh, come on... I will have invented an interstellar warp/hyper drive way before then and found another goldilocks planet!

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Why? because by then we'll be completely impregnated with prejudice and preconceptions.
I would say most of us become wiser after being rolled and snookered more than a few times in our youth. The problem I see with age, brain function and creativity is not that we think slower or minds are stuck in the past. The problems is our brains are full of factual patterns and it takes a while to go through all the permutations of the possibilities with new information or to retrieve old information in response to novel inputs as we search for possible matches from experience. Enhancements in raw brain capacity by machine augmentation is a much more realistic possibility in 20 years than long term biological life extension.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The problems is our brains are full of factual patterns and it takes a while to go through all the permutations of the possibilities with new information or to retrieve old information in response to novel inputs as we search for possible matches from experience.
That is more or less in line with my original idea

Enhancements in raw brain capacity by machine augmentation is a much more realistic possibility in 20 years than long term biological life extension.
But if we do that, we'll be changing our very nature, and will probably lose the right to call ourselves humans in the first place, won't we? Perhaps our descendants will become the very first artificial species of creation... or more simply put, the creatures of the creatures of the Creator

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Oh, come on... I will have invented an interstellar warp/hyper drive way before then and found another goldilocks planet!
Oh I believe you... if you're given enough time and resources... but what will happen when our very universe meets its eventual, unavoidable demise?

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Or perhaps like in the latest BSG saga we find out that we're really an artificial species of creation just like the Cylon "skin jobs" and our machine augmentation is a step in the progress of really being human.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Man falls out of a 10 story building. Every time he passed a floor they heard him say "So far so good.".
If you've had "a fair bit to drink" it might be survivable.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/man-survives-15-story-fall-zealand/story?id=19421584
Friends said that Stilwell had "a fair bit to drink" before the incident, according to the Herald.

Doctors say that although there is no evidence that alcohol softens the blow to the body, they have heard that anecdotally about car accident victims.

"There is no science behind that," Kman said. "Most doctors are reluctant to say it happens. But in my experience in trauma, it does seem to be something that happens. But that is not likely from a fall."

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
That is more or less in line with my original idea

But if we do that, we'll be changing our very nature, and will probably lose the right to call ourselves humans in the first place, won't we? Perhaps our descendants will become the very first artificial species of creation... or more simply put, the creatures of the creatures of the Creator
If there is a way to interface a USB stick with your brain, that would be a $ Multibillion invention.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007