WANTED: old (eighties) speech processors and speech ROMs (e.g. MM52116SHRL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

klclab

Joined Mar 23, 2020
Hi,

Looking for old eighties speech synthesizers / speech processors and their ROMs and some other stuff.
Digitalker ROM MM52116SHRL (other letters added to MM52116 are not the right chip) [National Semiconductor]
Hi,

I know this is an older post, but I just ran across it.
Are you interested in a set of these (never been used) Digitalker IC's?

digitalker.png

Cheers,
Ray

georgedb

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Hi Ray,

That is a very nice set, or actually they are two! Especially the SSR5 and 6 are hard to find. From the Digitalker persepective, I got the Digitalker itself (MM54104) and the (contents of) the SSR1/2/5/6. The SSR3 and 4 and the MM52116SHR/L are supposed to exist as well, but I have never not even seen a trace of them. And then there is the DTSW500 Digitalker CP/M software, where based on a vocab on 8" floppies (?), you could create the contents of your own (EP)ROM. It must have existed, it is on some old 8" disks on some attic somewhere, but I wonder if I'll ever find it ;-)

But I'm sure there is someone reading this thread that would love to become the new owner of these sets!

Thanks for posting and stay healthy!

George

georgedb

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your post. Well, you saw my list in the initial post,let's keep the communication open to everyone, there might be more people interested: so, what have you got available?

Cheers,

George

webjoe

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Hi rsjsouza,
I cannot PM yet. Please supply additional contact info.
Your answers: 8.30 & YES. Thanks.
Hi @klclab , if those DIGITALKER ICs haven't found a home yet, I would gladly put them to good use and share my findings. I created an account here on AAC to reply to this thread, so I can't direct message yet either. My email is my username here on AAC at GMAIL dotcom.

webjoe

Joined Aug 19, 2020
BTW - @georgedb I see your WANTED posts everywhere. It's nice to see someone else so fascinated by these speech chips. :) I would love to pick your brain and exchange a few phonemes with you!

klclab

Joined Mar 23, 2020
Hi @klclab , if those DIGITALKER ICs haven't found a home yet, I would gladly put them to good use and share my findings. I created an account here on AAC to reply to this thread, so I can't direct message yet either. My email is my username here on AAC at GMAIL dotcom.
Sorry to say they have found a home already. Glad there was some interest in these!

Cheers,
Ray

georgedb

Joined Jul 29, 2017
BTW - @georgedb I see your WANTED posts everywhere. It's nice to see someone else so fascinated by these speech chips. :) I would love to pick your brain and exchange a few phonemes with you!
Feel free to pick ;-) My time is extremely limited these days though: bought a house which requires quite a bit of TLC. This will take another year, hopefully then time again for some electronics...

Flip78

Joined Jul 26, 2020
Hello,

Also looking for SSR5/SSR6, MM52116 (Ans SSR3/SSR4 ...) files dumps to finalize my DIGITALKER TEST BOARD.

Actually V1.0 with SSR1/SSR2 and JAMECO JE-520 Roms works fine, V1.1 is under development to accept 16 (8k * 2) voices roms sets ! (Actually design is for 4 sets of (8k * 2) voices roms sets).

Here it is :
Digitalker_1_0.jpg

Start / stop and voice set selection done by Arduino.

All design code made by me.

François

PS : I can dump all voices rom, so if any of you want back-up let me know !

webjoe

Joined Aug 19, 2020
@Flip78 The Digitalker Test Board looks amazing. It would be great to be able to load all the ROMs on one board. Is there any way to have the Arduino (or other microcontrollers) drive the speech data for the MM54104?

webjoe

Joined Aug 19, 2020
Feel free to pick ;-) My time is extremely limited these days though: bought a house which requires quite a bit of TLC. This will take another year, hopefully then time again for some electronics...
Understandably so. Well, these 80's vintage chips are 30+ years old now, what's another year or two? I'm doing my slow but steady self learning of electronics coming from a software engineer's perspective trying to get into hardware hacking. I haven't picked up a soldering iron since my EE labs in college 20 years ago! So, I'll be around... :)

georgedb

Joined Jul 29, 2017
Understandably so. Well, these 80's vintage chips are 30+ years old now, what's another year or two? I'm doing my slow but steady self learning of electronics coming from a software engineer's perspective trying to get into hardware hacking. I haven't picked up a soldering iron since my EE labs in college 20 years ago! So, I'll be around... :)
Sounds good; have fun! So much info these days, but it takes a lot of time. Rather than soldering, I prefer a breadboard ;-)

Flip78

Joined Jul 26, 2020
@Flip78 The Digitalker Test Board looks amazing. It would be great to be able to load all the ROMs on one board. Is there any way to have the Arduino (or other microcontrollers) drive the speech data for the MM54104?
Probably yes, the new board will be available, with big memory i can now store all voice proms known (by me ...)

Probably yes, the new board will be available, with big memory i can now store all voice proms known (by me ...)
Always looking for SSR3/SSR4, SSR5/SSR6 and MM52116 dumps ...

Hello,
Are TEXAS speech education module full documentation and roms dumps avalable ?

PhilLG

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Speech ROMs:

VM61001 1981 TMS5220 Random Phrases demo rom (heathkit et4000) 16KiB TMS5220
VM61002 1982 TMS5220 Industrial Vocabulary (Electronics/Measurement words) demo rom 16KiB TMS5220
VM61003 1982 TMS5220 Time/Weather demo rom 16KiB TMS5220
VM61004 1982 TMS5220 Military demo rom 16KiB TMS5220
VM61005 1982? TMS5220 Avionics demo rom 16KiB TMS5220
VM61006 1982? TMS5220? ? words 16KiB TMS5220?
VM71001 1982 TMS5220? ? words 4KiB? TMS5220?
VM71002 1982 TMS5220? ? words 4KiB? TMS5220?
VM71003 1982 TMS5220? clock words, female cockney accent 4KiB TMS5220?

As far as I recall, the majority was dumped and I stored the dumps. Let me know if you need them and I'll start searching on my NAS. Unfortunately I only have a couple of VM61004's (for myself and fo swapping) and 1 x VM61002.
Hi George,

I know this is an old post but just wondered if you still have these phrase ROM dumps or have they been put on line somewhere?
regards
Phil

ApacheKid

Joined Jan 12, 2015
I had an SP0256 in the late 70s when I lived in Britain, I doubt I still have it now though. I interfaced it to one of these and managed to write a program in 6502 machine code that could read out - audibly, in hex, that program, it could speak the code that was generating the speech - pretty surreal!

1614463542717.png

The program was affectively a talking memory dump, fun to do because you just need to utter the 16 hex characters and then read and speak each byte from whatever start address. It was the first time I'd used interrupts, if I recall the SP0256 had a "busy" pin and then could also generate an interrupt when it was ready for more phoneme data.

I may have bought the SP0256 from Maplin in the UK (which had a huge impressive component catalog back then) and I recall an article in a magazine that had all the details of the device, lot of information, cant recall if it was an electronics magazine or early computer magazine, but it was a UK magazine I thing, it wasn't BYTE magazine.

OK found it, this was the article, definitely this magazine and issue - Electronics Today International - that was what I used to build the board that I interfaced to the above CPU, it also looks like my memory is failing, that article was 1986 not late 70s (but I did by the Acorn system in 1979).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.