Walmart.com selling 3D printer for US$51.99???

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Judging by the use of language, I'm guessing it's from a third world country where english is FAR from the normal use. Nevertheless, I wait to hear if you get what you thought you were getting Mr. Chips.
I tried ordering it but could not because I don't live in U.S.A.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It’s not a laser head... the unit is a carver/engraved. Not a 3D printer
The CP-01 unit has three interchangeable heads to 3D print, 3D carve, or 2D laser engrave.
Judging by the use of language, I'm guessing it's from a third world country where english is FAR from the normal use. Nevertheless, I wait to hear if you get what you thought you were getting Mr. Chips.
Well since the manufacturer is Creality based in Shenzhen China I would be surprised if English was their first language.

Both of the companies involved, the seller Joybuy or the shipper BFE both have terrible reviews. It will take a miracle to actually get this printer.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Agreed. That is why I will open at Walmart to get a 3rd party witness, in case the seller contests what was in the box.

Although sold and shipped by Joybuy and BFE, respectively, Walmart claims to have vetted its Marketplace sellers (See: Instructions for becoming a Marketplace seller), and Walmart's return policies should cover it. Moreover, all communications have been from Walmart.com To wit:
1610292697195.png

I also went through the steps for a return yesterday (there is no obligation to actually return it), and everything seemed normal, including an instruction to return it to a Walmart. For $52 + tax, I expect Walmart will not put up much hassle, if any.

My assumption (as also mentioned above) is that it is/was a clearance item. Yes, the price was low, but it is not the first time I have bought on clearance for 10 to 25% of list. Years ago, my wife and I were in the Northeast and happened to stop at a Gorham factory outlet. All of their leaded crystal was on clearance at 10% of posted price. Since I don't suffer from plumbum phobia, we loaded our car.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Close to 40 years I've known people who solder all day long and have no idea exactly what's in their solder. They only know that you melt it and it makes (most) metals stick together. More than 60% of those probably know the makeup of T/L solder such as 60/40 or 63/37. Far fewer know what "High Temp" solder is - or what Silver Solder is; let alone the composition.

RoHS solder in particular is something that MOST people in the manufacturing industry don't even know what the acronym means leave for say exactly what or why a particular material is considered "HS". Probably a good percentage of AAC users know what it is, but I also bet that a lot don't. Plumbum or RoHS. There are a lot of novices here who have yet to learn many things. That includes me for sure.

Your use of "Plumbum" is something I've not heard anyone use in many years. Recognized immediately; and I know the origin of the word "Plumbing", which comes from Plumbum. As for me, I'm not phobic.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
All of their leaded crystal was on clearance at 10% of posted price. Since I don't suffer from plumbum phobia, we loaded our car.
There is theory that lead goblets were responsible for the decline of Roman governmentship. Emperor's and other powerful and rich people consuming wine that leached the lead out of their goblets lead to diminished thinking and rational thought.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
There is theory that lead goblets were responsible for the decline of Roman governmentship. Emperor's and other powerful and rich people consuming wine that leached the lead out of their goblets lead to diminished thinking and rational thought.
Ah, so you're saying we need to further limit contact to lead in the US?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
my best clearance buy was a $25 for 25W Bluetooth enabled intercom speaker that came with a decent dynamic microphone. It was originally $200. I should have got a second one, my son uses it to stream music while he works out. I think it was designed for people giving narrated tours. Has great battery life.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you get a large box that weighs about 35 lbs, I’m thinking you’re good. I wonder if they’re reselling a returned product... which might not be a bad deal for all you amazing people that can make them right for a pittance.
Agreed. If the box has dimensions greater than 12" x 20" and weights more than 20 lbs then I would guess that you got the loot.
Sounds like a good idea to open the box in front of a Walmart Customer Service associate.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Ah, so you're saying we need to further limit contact to lead in the US?
I think it may be too late for some of our government leaders.

But generally, no, not saying that at all. I don't fear the lead in leaded solder - or in leaded crystal either.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Leaching was a problem but it pales in comparison to the practice of sweetening wine by intentional, direct addition of lead acetate, aka "sugar of lead". It may have killed Beethoven as well.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-artificial-sweetener-poisoned-lots-of-romans-5877587

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
It may also be like an HP printer, in that the printer is cheap but the ink cartridges are very expensive, about half the price of the printer. Buy a second set and the price of the printer has doubled. Buy a third set and the printer will not use them, claiming that the cartridges are not HP brand. So the catch might be in the supplies and their pricing.

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
My HP OfficeJet 6960 has a print counter that estimates the amount of ink used and left. There's a way to turn that counter off but I don't recall at the moment. Learned how on YouTube. I also have a Samsung Laser Jet that I use for all my printing. Meanwhile the HP inkjet ink dries out and will not print unless you install a new cartridge. I've never installed any new ink because I only use it for scanning. With the counter active, when it thinks it's time to replace the ink it will stop doing ANYTHING until it gets a new cartridge. But with the counter deactivated it doesn't know to stop working. Thus, I've not had to spend money on a new printer or on cartridges for that function in a few years now.

Long story short, there's a way to deactivate the count function in (at least my) HP OfficeJet 6960.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I have a HP color laser jet pro MFP M377dw.
I have consumed about 20% of the cartridge capacitry the past 9 months.

Bertus

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
It may also be like an HP printer, in that the printer is cheap but the ink cartridges are very expensive, about half the price of the printer. Buy a second set and the price of the printer has doubled. Buy a third set and the printer will not use them, claiming that the cartridges are not HP brand. So the catch might be in the supplies and their pricing.
A while back I was buying re-manufactured printers from the manufacturer for less than the cost of the ink heads inside.

Not with 3D printers. They just use a long filaments strip such as "PLA, ABS, TPU ." I can buy this stuff at my local Micro Center, which BTW has a pretty decent DIY center.

The 3D milling head takes standard bits.

The laser engraver uses light made by God himself, but it comes at just the cost of the electricty.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
the PLA filaments are inexpensive, I get 2.2 lb rolls for about $10 each on Amazon, my Creality has no problems running the least expensive stuff. I currently have 8 different colors.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I would guess, nearly all. I wonder how many others think they are elite enough to know something that others don't?
You are never too old to learn. Haven't you ever wondered by your solder is labeled Sn37Pb63 or similar? Why copper content is labeled Cu and so forth? You should read and understand the labels.