Variable voltage to light a specific led circuit question

lampel

Joined Feb 17, 2023
Hello all ,
I have this circuit that supposed to light a specific led when varDC/DC is 20V
And another led when varDC/DC is 15V and so on ..
My question is , why do I have to add the mosfet and the voltage divider at the exit of the comparator (the red mark)??

it seems to me that I can connect the output of the comparator directly to the led with a resistor ,
When the output is low ('0') led will light on , and when its ('1') led will shutdown ,
so I can save the extra resistors and the mosfet , what am I missing ?
ThankswqlukGB.png

wqlukGB.png

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
The output from the comparators is a high signal when the input voltage reaches the reference, The FETs invert that signal to turn on the LEDs. I agree, using FETs is complete overkill. If you switch the + and - inputs to the comparators, you could connect the led with its sreies resistor directly between the comparator output and Vjack.

LowQCab

Joined Nov 6, 2012
But keep in mind that this Comparitor can only sink around ~10mA.
If You want very bright LEDs, the FETs are necessary.

What is "V-Jack" ????

Last edited:

lampel

Joined Feb 17, 2023
The output from the comparators is a high signal when the input voltage reaches the reference, The FETs invert that signal to turn on the LEDs. I agree, using FETs is complete overkill. If you switch the + and - inputs to the comparators, you could connect the led with its sreies resistor directly between the comparator output and Vjack.
Thank you for clarifying the fact that the FET invert the signal , and that is indeed possible to connect it directly to the comparator

lampel

Joined Feb 17, 2023
But keep in mind that this Comparitor can only sink around ~10mA.
If You want very bright LEDs, the FETs are necessary.

What is "V-Jack" ????
That's and excellent comment, maybe that's the reason they added the FET's(because its not enough current to light the led very bright) .
This is a typ c ,VBUS led detection , VBUS can be 5v,9v,15v,20v , V-Jack that's another voltage for the VCONN connection (that's for the active cable in PowerDelivery TYPE c circuit (its usually 5V) .
so they use that for those led as well.

BTW can you tell me what's the parameter in the Data sheet that told you this comparator sinks only 10mA ??
is it the IO max?

lampel

Joined Feb 17, 2023
You could use an LM3914 LED bar graph display IC.
WOW I have looked on a lot of options (including zenner diodes , and other stuff ) , but this IC is by far the best option .
Thank you for telling me such an IC exist , I will defently use that kind of IC )
I have another 2 question regarding this IC :
1. it has a reference analog pin , but I have seen it being connected to a variable resistor , why ? is this variable resistor mandatory ?
2. LM3914 in none stock everywhere , do you know of another IC that is in stock ?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
If Vjack is only 5V (per post #6) those blue LEDs must be extremely efficient, given that they each have a 249k series resistor! Something doesn't seem right.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
WOW I have looked on a lot of options (including zenner diodes , and other stuff ) , but this IC is by far the best option .
Thank you for telling me such an IC exist , I will defently use that kind of IC )
I have another 2 question regarding this IC :
1. it has a reference analog pin , but I have seen it being connected to a variable resistor , why ? is this variable resistor mandatory ?
2. LM3914 in none stock everywhere , do you know of another IC that is in stock ?
Jameco in USA is showing stock.
https://www.jameco.com/z/LM3914N-1-...Dot-Bar-Display-Driver-10-Segment_300003.html

You can use a variable resistor to set the range at which the LEDs turn on.

ElectricSpidey

Joined Dec 2, 2017
I know LM3914s work over a range of voltages, but can they be set up to light their LEDs only on specific voltages?

I mean without additional circuitry.

IE: VBUS can be 5v,9v,15v,20v.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
I know LM3914s work over a range of voltages, but can they be set up to light their LEDs only on specific voltages?

I mean without additional circuitry.

IE: VBUS can be 5v,9v,15v,20v.
The LM3914 divides the voltage range between the two inputs into ten bands, and while the reference is adjustable the voltage interval is not.

Audioguru again

Joined Oct 21, 2019
If you divide down the input voltage of the LM3914 then the LEDs can light in sequence: 5V, 10V, 15V, 20V, 25V, 30V, 35V, 40V, 45V and 50V.
Use only 4 outputs if you want.