USB TO RS-232 convertor with out needing driver

Izhar Ul haq

Joined Aug 11, 2015
I need USB (Standard-B) to RS-232 convertor which can work with out any driver because there is no PC/Laptop involve in the comm.
Application :To transmit Digital data from vacuum gauge model DPG-202 (USB Port) to PLC Fatek FBS-60MCT (with RS-232 PORT). I have one convertor but it need driver to be install on PC. But in my case there is no PC, only vacuum gauge transmitter and PLC.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I need USB (Standard-B) to RS-232 convertor which can work with out any driver because there is no PC/Laptop involve in the comm.
Application :To transmit Digital data from vacuum gauge model DPG-202 (USB Port) to PLC Fatek FBS-60MCT (with RS-232 PORT). I have one convertor but it need driver to be install on PC. But in my case there is no PC, only vacuum gauge transmitter and PLC.
Ain't gonna happen without a PC, Single-Board PC, Raspberry Pi, or some other "PC equivalent"!

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You would need a device to act as the USB host (no easy task in an embedded system), interpret the data, and send it out over RS-232.

Other than using a SBC with some custom firmware, I know of nothing that fits the bill.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
There are no easy and practical solutions because USB is much more than a physical layer specification. The protocol requires the capabilities of a processor plain and simple. Your quest is a complete and total pipe dream.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Possibly? Yeah. Easy? That depends on how lucky you get.

A device such as yours is a USB slave, and it needs a USB master to communicate. There are microcontroller devices that will act as a master you can buy for a few bucks. PIC32 devices can act as a master for example.

That just leaves you 50 - 100 bucks for a programmer.

Now the "lucky" part: you will need to find a code example of a master that works with your specific device. "Lucky" means you find an example to adapt. That way you might be done by Christmas.

A better way is to start with a sensor that already has the RS232 output you want to work with.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Where's the usb come from
Transducer with Display Range 0 to 15 psi Accuracy +/-0.25% Output 4 to 20 mA Power Required 12 to 24 V AC/DC Process Connection 1/4 In NPT Lead Length 36 In Wetted Materials 316L Stainless Steel Housing Aluminum Operating Temp 0 to 158 NEMA Rating 4X Thermal Error +/-0.016% Full Scale /deg F Features 3 In Dial Lower Connected (2) SPDT Set Point Relays Rated 0.5A @ 125 V AC 1A @ 24 VDC Display 4 Digit LCD Includes Instructions