Upgrading the Lab and Need Some Advice

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
The ones I linked to have those accessories available.
Yes, I am verty familiar with ULine, I have an account with them. The problem for me with those tables is aesthetics. Functionally they seem an excellent deal but they won't work for the rook I am putting together because of the appearance.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Yes, I am verty familiar with ULine, I have an account with them. The problem for me with those tables is aesthetics. Functionally they seem an excellent deal but they won't work for the rook I am putting together because of the appearance.
Aesthetics! Well, I get the feeling I'm soon to learn something new, as I had no idea that workbenches had, could have, or should be expected to have any anesthetic properties apart from not being all burned, battered, and bruised. I'm now curious to see fulfilled whatever it is you're envisioning.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
So I haven’t made a decision yet but I recalled something that is a very interesting possibility. At the university we built several custom benches using 80/20 extrusions and connectors. It’s not cheap but it would probably be less than the commercial option and since I could built it anyway I want it would have the right sized top and any sort of instrument shelf I want.

They will even cut the pieces and package up all of the connectors I need. They also offer consultation on the design. I am going to give them a call and talk about it, and get a ballpark estimate to see if it is worth pursuing.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
So I haven’t made a decision yet but I recalled something that is a very interesting possibility. At the university we built several custom benches using 80/20 extrusions and connectors. It’s not cheap but it would probably be less than the commercial option and since I could built it anyway I want it would have the right sized top and any sort of instrument shelf I want.

They will even cut the pieces and package up all of the connectors I need. They also offer consultation on the design. I am going to give them a call and talk about it, and get a ballpark estimate to see if it is worth pursuing.
Let me know when you get a quote. I have a bunch of 1m pieces (1.5" cross-section) that I wouldn't mind getting rid of.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010

In my experience 80/20 extrusions are never an affordable option for any sort of DIY project. Unless you can pull them (and all the needed pricey hardware) out of a scrap bin. I only ever use them at work, spending other people's money, for the sake of convenience.
What is "the commercial option" that you're comparing to?

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I moved to another house a couple of years ago. This place has the nice convenience that its rooms are much larger than the one before (although its backyard is a little smaller). But my lab's layout is based on the same principle as the previous one: I used well sealed 3/4" MDF sheets arranged through the entire place's perimeter, and placed a heavy duty work table in the center. I personally find this the perfect balance between convenience, and efficient use of space. Especially at the corners.

Also, I invested a little time and money in it's lighting. I wanted to make the place warm, cozy and comfortable to work in (plus a little bit of fun). But I also installed a few led lamp bars on the ceiling to illuminate the place well enough when serious assembly work is to be done. The place's layout and its lighting have worked well as a rather good first impression whenever I invite customers over.

Here are a few pics, I hope they help.

6181a149-b995-409b-9bf8-35878e26b91e.jpg

9640312e-6040-47d4-99c5-4f3162ad6a7b.jpg

e2a5304e-3b22-4753-901a-36ff58b2c0bf.jpg

52cffc86-e788-49c6-a334-e13009acff99.jpg

5c94a0fa-f31c-457e-b1b7-18ab1fa88691.jpg

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
In my experience 80/20 extrusions are never an affordable option for any sort of DIY project. Unless you can pull them (and all the needed pricey hardware) out of a scrap bin. I only ever use them at work, spending other people's money, for the sake of convenience.
What is "the commercial option" that you're comparing to?
Commercial options are ~$3000 benches. 80/20 has a chance.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I moved to another house a couple of years ago. This place has the nice convenience that its rooms are much larger than the one before (although its backyard is a little smaller). But my lab's layout is based on the same principle as the previous one: I used well sealed 3/4" MDF sheets arranged through the entire place's perimeter, and placed a heavy duty work table in the center. I personally find this the perfect balance between convenience, and efficient use of space. Especially at the corners.

Also, I invested a little time and money in it's lighting. I wanted to make the place warm, cozy and comfortable to work in (plus a little bit of fun). But I also installed a few led lamp bars on the ceiling to illuminate the place well enough when serious assembly work is to be done. The place's layout and its lighting have worked well as a rather good first impression whenever I invite customers over.

Here are a few pics, I hope they help.

Very nice. It looks very functional and spacious. My room will be mixed use with photography and may also be a consultation room for clients, hence my desire to make it aesthetically pleasing, though I like the idea for its own sake as well. I really enjoy working in a nice room.

I do think this looks really great though.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Finally, an update…

Though the room is nowhere near complete, the painting and lighting installation in the new Studio/Lab is (mostly) done. I also have a new desk and one of the benches that will live in it.

After much research and agonizing over maximizing the still very limited space, I decided on this beach, which is technically a desk—though it is just the top and base put together. It is bamboo, as is the desk so they match nicely. The desk is an L with 30” of depth and 72” on the large part with a 30” return for a length of 60” on that side.

The bench is 30” deep and 80” long, so lots of room. But to use it effectively I am still working out an instrument shelf. Still, I have much, much more room for soldering station and hot air, instruments, and benchtop computer, and the lighting is fantastic. Also, it includes a feature that my desk convinced me was really necessary…

17195EFA-C8B1-4C9E-BB1F-C808DEBA671C.gif
Yes, it adjusts height electrically.
(the GIF runs 3x and stops, if it is not moving, reload the page)​

The desk is a standing desk from a company called Fully. It is very nicely made, and it adjusts from too low for sitting too high enough to roll under in the chair (130cm to the surface). The controller has 4 memories and I‘ve set sitting and standing, as well as “maintenance mode” which is all the way up and got its name because when I need to deal with wire management I just raise it to there and roll under in my chair.

The bench is from two different companies with the top and base purchased à la carte for very reasonable sums. The top is quite large but the bamboo is a very stiff composite panel and at only about an inch thick is manages to be very rigid and lightweight. The motorized base was quite a good value and turns out to be very well made—if not quite so as the Fully. At the maximum height I will use it, it is very stable with very little wobble.

It has a three memory controller which is set for sit, standing microscope, and standing. Being able to set the height to work strain free at the ‘scope is really a great luxury. At the previous bench, I had to hunch over or sit hovering and it was very tiring and even painful for long sessions. That’s a thing of the past.

This bench will not be one to hammer on. I decided I am going to add a smaller (probably ~24”²), mobile bench with a butcher block top to act as the “banging bench” and for other rough service. I am still scheming about how to make the the small room, I have a lot to get in there included quite a bit of photographic kit.

So, that’s an update. Thanks to all who made suggestions earlier. This went in a direction I did’t expect thanks to wanting a sit-stand desk, which, by the way is also fantastic in itself. Being able to stand and work comfortably, or sit as the case may be no longer seems a luxury to me but a basic necessity. If you ever had the impulse to get one, do it! You won’t regret it.