My workshop...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Here's a small tour of my modest workshop. It's a small room in the back of my house that I've fully adapted to that purpose. And yes, I know that some features belong more in the room of a teenager than in an engineer's lab, but hey... it's my room and I'm gonna decorate it the way I think is best.

Anyone feel like sharing how their surroundings look like, feel free to join in.

The pictogram I installed in the front door was picked by my lovely daughter, and it pretty much depicts the purpose of the room.

Capture.PNG

Here's a panoramic view of all four walls. It's a small space measuring only about 2.6 x 3.4 m (8-1/2' x 11'), but I've tried to make the most of it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

My fridge and its magnets...

dd9b6a91-1e73-4604-b786-06cffa1ec791.jpg

And most important, the contents of said fridge :D

481a23d3-791b-4e5a-b04f-20aafbb5882e.jpg

And finally, my small collection of coffee mugs... don't try to solve that equation!... (too late :D)

d0c61b14-c56c-49d8-a8b7-ecf096fda12c.jpg

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
How do you keep things so neat and organized? ;) Or did you, as we say in Pittsburgh, read (as in ready) up for the photo? ;)

Where did you get the press? I like that.

Most important question. What is the size of the wife's workroom? ;)

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
How do you keep things so neat and organized? ;) Or did you, as we say in Pittsburgh, read (as in ready) up for the photo? ;)
o_O The place is actually not as organized as I like it to be. There are too many boxes laying around because I'm currently working on a machine that I'm building in a second workshop that I have downtown.

Where did you get the press? I like that.
The press is made by Stahl's (11"x15") and it's imported (from the U.S.) :cool: ... and it ain't cheap... :confused:

Most important question. What is the size of the wife's workroom? ;)
My wife's workroom measures about 25 x 20 m (80' x 65') ... which is about the size of the entire house... :D

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
That's one thing I'd like to see... how do you use the laminator to make PCB's? Can you post pics of the process?
Easy just feed it through. Yes I can post photos. Getting late now.

The secret is choosing the right laminator. I use the GBC HeatSeal 212. I had to hack it a bit to remove some feed guides but that was about it. Others will hack the temperature control to bump up the temperature but I just run it through 12 or 15 times.

I print to wax paper.

I have also seen a post of modifying a certain printer to print direct to the board. I think I posted on it. I am not sure if I want to make that jump. First another piece of equipment hanging around. Second I am not let done with trying to route the board.

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
:eek: Wow! And here I thought that my collection of components was already large! :confused:
Those pictures are over a year old; since they were taken I've increased my small parts storage (left side of topmost photo) by another hundred drawers or so. Gotta start making more stuff with all those parts!

I can see that with you, nothing goes to waste: View attachment 121170 :D
Those damned things... I had no idea how much VLF noise those abominable CFLs put out until I replaced all my tungsten bulbs with them. They emit so much "hash" in the low frequencies that my so-called "atomic" clock can no longer lock onto station WWVB every night for a time update. I'm currently replacing the CFLs with LEDs; they're a little better, but not much.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
Nice timing on the thread bing I too am working on workshop 3.0 now. 14' x 20' 1940's granary (built like a fortress out of redwood, cedar and oak) turned into a workshed.

I just did about half the floor in epoxy paint yesterday.

DCP02697.JPG

That's the pad job I did myself from two summers ago with the shed still on my flatbed. It weighed about 4 - 5 tons before I started redoing it! :D

Here's the start of the install of my mini boiler I built this winter. It burns used oil and heats both the shed and my old house.

100_4083b.png

It just got pulled out two days ago so that I can redo some plumbing (replacing the 3/4" PEX line with 1") plus do the floor epoxy job and install the final control systems as well.