Upgrading the Lab and Need Some Advice

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
A previous workbench I had was a steel angle framed base, welded at a local shop. The top was MDF laminated with a fiberglass top. I was pretty good at making and laminating custom countertops. I was often able to get a piece of laminate with chipped edges at Home Depot / Lowes st a major discount and cutting off the damaged edges.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
The only problem with roll laminate is the typical base is from standard 8' sheets of plywood. You can frame the base and butt fit sheets however. That and the front "lip" piece of laminate is always peeling away. Not a problem with roll lip counter top material. Plus, the roll lip helps to keep things from rolling off the front lip of the bench.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
The only problem with roll laminate is the typical base is from standard 8' sheets of plywood. You can frame the base and butt fit sheets however. That and the front "lip" piece of laminate is always peeling away. Not a problem with roll lip counter top material. Plus, the roll lip helps to keep things from rolling off the front lip of the bench.
I don’t use plywood. The plywood top isn’t smooth enough for the contact cement to adhere properly. I use two layers of dense MDF laminated with epoxy into any size/shape I need. Plus, two more layers of narrow strips to form a wide base for the edging. The edges are routed for a smooth surface. Bar clamps ensure a solid glued edge that doesn’t lift.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Single wide kitchen cabinet sections with a counter top on it. The single cabinet sections can be had with all drawers or a top drawer and a door. You would then space them to allow you to sit with your legs under the counter top.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Here are my thoughts and preferences.

I like the butcher block counter top. I prefer a 24" deep top.
I would not get the drawers because they get in the way with your knees. I would not get the casters.

My electronics and computer workstations are 54" x 24" x 28"H.
I would definitely mount a 48" power strip at the back or a 24" strip on the side edge.
I built a small tool rack which I will show later. It makes for easy access without cluttering the workspace.
Thanks. I want the extra depth for instruments that won't go on the instrument shelf that I intend to add to one of the benches. Scope, function generator, PS, Bench DMM all on the shelf. Other things like my Fluke 287, various testers, probes and the like on the back 12" of the bench.

On the other bench I will be using that space for soldering station, hot air, solder reels, fluxes, pastes, and the like. That bench will probably have wall mounted shelves above it.

The caster will go in the trash, they include leveler feet at well which will get used. I did some measurements and the drawer will clear my knees by a couple of inches. I really like maximal ready storage space so I like having them there. I use a pliers rack now and will probably do something like it for the ready access pliers but crimpers, larger pliers, and the like might live in the drawer.

1650577478838.png
I do think that 24" is generally the best for a work surface it's just that my overall space is constrained so I want to maximize the tabletop.

Thanks for the feedback, I am considering everything at this point so the above plan might change.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I didn’t cheap out. It’s a high quality esd bench. 6’ x 3’ x 8’ kewaunee evolution to be exact. Easily a few thousand dollar work bench new and respected in the industry.

I didn’t get to pick the color. Boohoo.

there’s often good deals on Craigslist. Ive also acquired my Bausch and lomb stereo microscope and a fluke 87 for big discounts on Craigslist.

if you’re in a hurry it will be pricy for professional equipment. If that’s the goal then I agree with the wife. Spend the money and move on.

All I’m suggesting is to look at all your options. You might get lucky on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace or something.
I just wanted to clarify that I was in a rush and I didn't properly thank you for the very good advice. For many people, and even me in other circumstances, the used market is great. With rare exception I buy my camera gear used, particularly lenses but not exclusively. I have gotten very good deals on things I really wanted. You are right, patience is a great virtue in the pursuit of good used gear.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
If triggers an alternative to consider, good. At a previous workplace we moved workbenches within the factory very often, doors were used on top of four leg wood frames like :
View attachment 265560

Cheap, for low weight/strenght, but worked very well. Bought with no lock hole, the smooth flush type, some hollow, some not. The ones with fiberglass skin were more expensive.
Plain, flat, smooth, available from ~24" to 36" wide :

View attachment 265558

Kitchen countertops work too, heavier and stronger and sometimes cheaper, available longer, with or without splash ends :

View attachment 265559
I was looking for a decent set of legs since I can get the top I want separately. I haven't found legs that make me want to buy them yet, It's a really good Idea, though.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Hi Ya'akov,

What ambient and localized bench lighting are you planning to use for the Studio/Work Shop.?

E
Hey, Eric.

I use some nice LED swing arm lamps for task lighting. They've been very good. I use LED strips under shelves to eliminate the dark spot there. I will have some LED spot and flood track lighting in the new room strategically aimed. I also use an LED magnifier light on a gooseneck which is very handy. I am also probably going to upgrade the microscope so it had a better boom, a camera adapter, and a ring light instead of a spot.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I suggest renting some tools and building it all yourself. I'm big on feng shui and structurally speaking you could use something cheap like aluminum planks and brackets to keep costs low and then focus on the table top and side for visual appeal with wood paneling or even get crazy with some custom art.
I don't need to rent tools, I just have to go to one of our other houses we intend to sell where my shop is/was. If I had a shop here, I would certainly build at least a lot of it, but I just don't have the space to work. On the longish term list an outbuilding for a wood/metal shop and a photography studio but that has to wait.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I don’t use plywood. The plywood top isn’t smooth enough for the contact cement to adhere properly. I use two layers of dense MDF laminated with epoxy into any size/shape I need. Plus, two more layers of narrow strips to form a wide base for the edging. The edges are routed for a smooth surface. Bar clamps ensure a solid glued edge that doesn’t lift.
I built the assembly bench in my wood shop with MDF topped with sacrificial tempered hard board. But the hardboard never needed replacing, it held up really well.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Unstained/unvarnished maple is quite difficult to ignite and does not hold a static charge - add varnish and you'll get a nice static charge built up if you wipe down the table with certain fibers. Raw hard maple is great. I just write my notes on the table with a pencil, a bit of Scotch Brite and they are gone and the wood always looks great. Slabs available at McMaster or Grainger - 4, 6 or 8'. 30 or 36" deep.

I love watching people get freaked out thst McMaster doesn't show shipping costs, it just ends up on the invoice. As the story goes, "if you have to ask, you can't afford it."

metermannd

Joined Oct 25, 2020
If you go with a shelf riser, I suggest TWO plug strips - one on the underside of the counter at the back for the stuff that's more or less permanently plugged in, then a second, more accessible strip for temporary needs.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
These light strips come in all types of configurations. Compact, adjustable, screw on or comes with double sided tape. The only real downside is the wall wart, controller, and wiring that has to be handled and dealt with. Not too badly priced and probably cheaper elsewhere. Great little undershelf lighting even though they are "grow lights".
1650613332605.png
Amazon.com: Mosthink Grow Light Strips,LED Grow Light for Seed Starting, Full Spectrum Sunlight Grow Lamp for Indoor Plants,Greenhouse,Plant Shelf ,with Extension Cables,Mounting Accessories(4 Packs) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
I built a bench based on plans in the classic Audio Cyclopedia.
Audio Cyclopedia laboratory bench (24.98):
https://archive.org/details/audiocyclopedia0000trem
(now it's in the "borrow" category; I'm sure there are pdfs out there somewhere)
legs: 4 to 5 feet spacing, 27.5" overall front to back
surface height: 36" (stand-up or stool); 28" seated
depth: 30"
equipment shelf: 15" deep, 20" above surface
bottom shelf: 12" deep, 9" off floor

Legs were 4x4 rough cut cedar (since it was really cheap at the time)(varnished and lightly sanded to eliminate splinters). Top was 1/2" plywood, with a couple of coats of polyurethane varnish, which eventually hardens to a very hard finish.

The equipment shelf is great for stacking up the bench meters and machines that go "pinnnggg".

For tool and instrument storage, I have a Craftsman 3-drawer intermediate cabinet. It hides away an amazing amount of small tools and portable meters. Like this one but made in Canada:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...in-H-3-Drawer-Steel-Tool-Chest-Red/1002481480

But roller tool cabinets are much more common, and get you more drawers for the buck.

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I have a few of these in my workshop. If I'm not mistaken they are exactly what you're for and less than half the price of your lower end budget. They come in multiple lengths and widths. Here's 96x36:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...rial-Packing-Table-96-x-36-Composite-Wood-Top

They're already butchers block top so you don't need to order that from a special source.

Edit:
Here's one specifically recognized as "ESD Top."

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...bles/Industrial-Packing-Table-96-x-36-ESD-Top

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
@Yaakov did you make a decision on the workbenches?
No, not yet. I was going to have something sorted by this point but there are a lot of moving parts here. I will update this thread when I have ordered something.

One of the current problems is that I really want an instrument shelf on one of the benches and that is proving much more difficult to get outside the pricey industrial world. I haven't found something to adapt either. I am still working on it and on several other things for the new space.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
No, not yet. I was going to have something sorted by this point but there are a lot of moving parts here. I will update this thread when I have ordered something.

One of the current problems is that I really want an instrument shelf on one of the benches and that is proving much more difficult to get outside the pricey industrial world. I haven't found something to adapt either. I am still working on it and on several other things for the new space.
The ones I linked to have those accessories available.

Screenshot_20220426-071246_Chrome.jpg