Understanding the TDS Circuit and CD4060BM IC

Yunus Emre SERT

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Hello,

I've been dealing with this circuit for 2 days and I couldn't understand yet. The biggest problem I faced is that I can't simulate this circuit. In general, I use QUCS to simulate circuits but CD4060BM doesn't exist in its library. Therefore, I'm trying EasyEDA but something still goes wrong eventhough I set the circuit correctly. I decided to analyze the circuit part by part. It's not hard to understand the purposes of the OpAmps and the instrumentation amplifier. However, I still can't understand the CD4060BM IC. If I set its connections as in the schematic, errors occured on the inputs 9, 10 and 11. I encounter some problems about the nodes of R1, C4, R5. When I substitute the capacitor C4 with a DC voltage source, no error occurs but can't observe any output both in DC and transient simulation. While using a DC voltage source instead of C4, (-V) is read on 9th input and 0V is read on the inputs 10&11. I can't figure out what's going on. Can you help me understanding this circuit, especially the CD4060BM? I am also open to any suggestions for SPICE softwares.

Thanks, regards...

Attachments

Yunus Emre SERT

Joined Jul 11, 2019
hi YE,
Welcome to AAC

In LTSpice I created a hierarchical circuit for the CD4060, by using two CD4024, the CD4060m model works OK.
E
I've never used LTSpice before and I'm having hard time now. Where are Vdd and Vss? How can I set the correct connections and simulate this circuit? I want to observe the output on Q4.

Attachments

Yunus Emre SERT

Joined Jul 11, 2019
Hi,
Clicking on the 4060 or any other IC symbol will pop up the menu showing Vcc etc..
E
View attachment 181471
Hello,

Thank you very much. When I try simulating this circuit, I can't observe any signal in transient simulation. I also get "Analyses failed. Iteration limit reached." error when I try op pnt simulation. What should I do? I need your recommendations.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
CD4060 is a digital circuit. I do not know how simulators work with regards to VDD and VSS.
If you want the simulation to work try scrapping the split ±3V supply and use a single 6V supply or what ever voltages the simulator needs for VDD and VSS.

Yunus Emre SERT

Joined Jul 11, 2019
CD4060 is a digital circuit. I do not know how simulators work with regards to VDD and VSS.
If you want the simulation to work try scrapping the split ±3V supply and use a single 6V supply or what ever voltages the simulator needs for VDD and VSS.
Didn't work. Actually, I don't know what to do more. This is my first work in my internship and I couldn't solve it yet. But I'm still hopeful.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi,
I have just tried using my model with the Vss and Vdd set at +3v and -3V, the outputs still give 0v and 3v pulse levels, so I would say its not going to work.

Can you say why you need +/-3v supply levels and what is the project required to do.?
E

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
hi,
I have just tried using my model with the Vss and Vdd set at +3v and -3V, the outputs still give 0v and 3v pulse levels, so I would say its not going to work.

Can you say why you need +/-3v supply levels and what is the project required to do.?
E
The circuit as designed generates a ±3V square wave.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi MrC,
I got that bit OK.;)

But if he just wants a +/-3V from using a 4060 in the usual way, ie: +6Vss there are easier options available.

E

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Why are you trying to simulate a CD4060 when the Sim software and you do not understand it??
The Sim software will not even get its oscillator beginning to oscillate.

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
I get frustrated simulating 4060 in Proteus as well. It kind of works but really slows down and takes a lot of resources. The onboard oscillator is complex and usually just set a frequency in the chip property instead. I love thus chip but simulations really fall short in most situations. I find using 4 bit counters useful when I’m trying to simulate it. You can cascade them by feeding the final stage into the next counter clk input.