Unable to upload attachements.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I would qualify this as a major bug.

When starting this thread, I was unable to upload my .png files. However on the edit I could. The menu options creating the thread were totally different

Yet another power supply

Now I'm trying to upload some revised prints and can not either in an original post or the edit of the post.

It is worth nothing that looking up the above link the site was down for a minute or so, no error messages, just long load times. It is possible that something else was going on in the background.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
OK, I remembered something from a while back. Somehow shock wave flash has gotten turned on in my system. Turning it off seems to have fixed it.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Thanks @Wendy,

What errors did you receive when you attempted the upload? You do not use the Flash-based uploader correct? Which browser are you using?

I'll do my best testing attachment issues. Would you be able to upload or email me a zip of the png files, so that I can test them specifically?

The long wait was because of a server blip, I experienced it too. The server LOAD shot up for some reason. Seems to have only lasted a few minutes.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
No errors, the files don't show up. Also, the normal upload screen doesn't sho up. I'll be back with screen shots.

I'm using Firefox (latest rev.) 0n a win 7 lappie.

----------------------------------------------------------

OK, it won't allow me up upload the screen shots, but did allow me to upload them as a zip file. Odd.

There seems to be an element of randomness I don't understand. Both the screen shots were .png files.

SS1 is the normal upload screen, which flash seems to block.

SS2 is the result of Flash being enabled, the .png files just do not show up on the list.

Attachments

Last edited:

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
FWIW, I have noticed that a lot of new thread starters have trouble posting attachments to their initial post...

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
@Wendy , I was able to replicate SS2.png - No files were listed for me as well (on Windows 7 + latest FF with flash enabled). Next step, figure out why!

Are you able to drag the file directly from a folder into the reply box?

tjohnson

Joined Dec 23, 2014
I've had conversations with @Reloadron and @Hamlet about this problem (the former of whom also experienced it on ETO). AFAIK it's only reproducible in Firefox.

Here's a quote from one of my PMs which explains a workaround:
tjohnson said:
Several other forum members who use Firefox, including myself, experience the same problem that image files don't show up in the file dialog. The best workaround I know of is to start typing the name of the image file in the filename textbox, which autocompletes the names of the image files even though they're not shown in the list of files above it.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
@Wendy , I was able to replicate SS2.png - No files were listed for me as well (on Windows 7 + latest FF with flash enabled). Next step, figure out why!

Are you able to drag the file directly from a folder into the reply box?
Generally I click the wanted file, then press open, it uploads. I have seen the drag and drop for other web applications, but have never used it here.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
@tjohnson, this was the only workaround I could come up with as well with FF+Windows+Flash Uploader Enabled.

upload_2015-8-21_10-19-37.png

While the file doesn't actually get listed in the file browser, when I click "Open" it uploads as expected. Not an ideal solution, but this appears to be an FF/Windows bug then a XF bug.

I'm unable to replicate any issues with the Non-Flash uploader however. When I click 'Browse', the file browser pops up and lists all files. When you hit browse nothing happens right? I wonder if the file browser pops up behind the FF window? I'll keep messing around !