Two switch system where pushing one button causes motor to run but both buttons needed to stop

Kevinm1228

Joined Oct 23, 2017
I'm trying to design a circuit where a motor attached to a reciprocating arm is activated by the release of a spdt but when you depress switch again the arm keeps going until the arm hits a second switch that is normally kept depressed when the system is at it's rest state. It's a DC system about 9v and I'm just not able to figure it out. Can anyone help?

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
In the circuit below S1 is the button pressed by the operator and S2 is the button operated by the motor at the rest position - both switches shown in the released position.

As shown the system is not at the rest position, the motor receives power via S2 and will run until the motion operates S2 when the motor will stop.
Now while S1 is pressed the motor will run. When S1 is released the motor will run until S2 is operated at the rest position as described above.
upload_2017-10-23_13-16-26.png

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Is this a correct statement of what you described in post #1:

Pushbutton switch is S1
Limit switch is S2

Rest state - motor is stopped
Press S1 - nothing happens
Release S1 - motor starts
Press S1 again - motor keeps running
Actuator hits S2 - motor stops
Rest state - motor is stopped

The S1 action is not standard. Usually, pressing a switch initiates a cycle, not pressing and then releasing. A more common process would be that pressing S1 and holding it briefly initiates the cycle, after which S1 is ignored until the cycle completes.

ak

Kevinm1228

Joined Oct 23, 2017
In the circuit below S1 is the button pressed by the operator and S2 is the button operated by the motor at the rest position - both switches shown in the released position.

As shown the system is not at the rest position, the motor receives power via S2 and will run until the motion operates S2 when the motor will stop.
Now while S1 is pressed the motor will run. When S1 is released the motor will run until S2 is operated at the rest position as described above.
View attachment 137815
Thack you I think this is exactly what I need now I just need my switches delivered to test it out