Treadmill fuse help please!!

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Hi all,

During these quarantine times I have started working out and have a treadmill at home which wasn't really used. Started on it and about a week later it just stopped.

Using YouTube and info here I opened up the case and could see the fuse was blown (F10A250v). I ordered some more and I put a new fuse it. Fired up the treadmill, the belt ran for a second then a small spark and the fuse blew again.

I removed the positive and negative wires and hooked them up to a battery to check the motor. Once I did this the motor ran and the belt was working.

I have no idea what the issue might now be. I'm not very technical in skill here and used this site and online to help me get this far. I have attached pictures to help.

I have also noticed that the new fuse is a F10AL250V not a F10A250V as the original. Does the 'L' make a difference?

Any info would be amazing!!

Thanks

Attachments

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Overhead picture shows a large bridge rectifier on the left side, mounted upside down and using the frame as a heatsink. Check that first. That seems to rectify the AC to DC
Whatever is under the "cover" in the middle is a mystery, there could be some switching regulators there.
Transformer way on the right should not be an issue, but just may. It is probably used to provide lower voltages for the control circuits.
At the very bottom of the board, there seem to be a couple of transistors/Mosfets that may be used in switching the motor voltage. You have to check those for shorts as well.
Cooling fan seems to have some hairs/dirt in it. Make sure it is running ok, as that is probably a cooling fan for the whole circuit.

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Wow that's a lot of info. Thank you so much!! Im a little confused to what your referring to in the pictures I posted. Again, I'm not very handy with circuits or anything like this. I'm really sorry, I'm a bit dense.

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Should I try the following?

Disconnect the motor wire, add a new fuse and turn the treadmill on to see if it blows. Will this prove or unprove anything?

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Did you try running the motor with the belt off?
Max.
I can't seem to do that. As soon as I hit the on switch the belt runs a sec and then blows. Usually I have to turn the treadmill on, then pick a setting and then hit start to actually get the belt to move.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I can't seem to do that. As soon as I hit the on switch the belt runs a sec and then blows. Usually I have to turn the treadmill on, then pick a setting and then hit start to actually get the belt to move.
But that’s not addressing what Max said. Can you take the belt off the treadmill and test if the motor will run!

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
But that’s not addressing what Max said. Can you take the belt off the treadmill and test if the motor will run!
Sorry for my basic knowledge. If I attach the motor wires to seperate battery and the belt runs, doesn't that's mean the motor is OK?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Take the belt off the treadmill. Put it outside. At least 10m from the treadmill. Now, with your belt-less treadmill, does the motor run without blowing a fuse?

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Disconnecting the motor and powering up will tell you if it is the power supply itself that blows the fuse (or not). That will help on where to focus your attention. If the fuse blows without the motor hooked up, then the power supply is most likely faulty. It has several components that can fail, causing a short circuit in that device. The two transistor-type of devices pressed against the metal frame are usual suspects.

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Disconnecting the motor and powering up will tell you if it is the power supply itself that blows the fuse (or not). That will help on where to focus your attention. If the fuse blows without the motor hooked up, then the power supply is most likely faulty. It has several components that can fail, causing a short circuit in that device. The two transistor-type of devices pressed against the metal frame are usual suspects.
OK so by powers supply you mean it could be the actual lead that connects to the wall socket and the treadmill itself. I'll give this a go to isolate the issue too.

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Yes, the power supply is the thing where the wall power goes to, and the motor/motor controller connects to - the green board. The power supply is what holds that fuse on the board. Disconnect the motor (or motor controller) from the supply if possible, and just power up the board with nothing else connected except the wall power. Disconnect the red/black wires, and disconnect the white plug header on the other side. They should all just unplug from the board.
If the fuse blows, it is the power supply that is at fault. If the fuse does not blow, then there is something external to it that is causing a heavy load or short circuit to the power supply.

RayanRai

Joined Mar 30, 2020
Hi all, OK so I disconnected the motor from the belt and it still works. I removed the cables from the motor to the circuit board, added a fuse and switched on the treadmill and the fuse does not blow.

Once I connect the motor back up again, fuse blows again.

Any more help woild be greatly appreciated.