Tracopower TEN 40-1212 pinout puzzle

JanTio

Joined Mar 23, 2015
Hi.

A Tracopower TEN 40-1212 just came in today, it should help me make a stand-alone power supply from a lead-acid battery, to feed a solid state audio recorder (which is said to be very demanding about power supply accuracy).

The TEN40-1212 seems to have more pins than I expected, and I'm a little confused of what is the use of the + and - Sens pins and the TRM pin. I assume this is for adjusting the output?
In case I just need exactly 12V-and-nothing-else, do I need those pins? Can I just leave them alone? The datasheet doesn't give any instructions about that.

TIA!!

Jan

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
The TEN40-1212 seems to have more pins than I expected, and I'm a little confused of what is the use of the + and - Sens pins and the TRM pin. I assume this is for adjusting the output?
In case I just need exactly 12V-and-nothing-else, do I need those pins? Can I just leave them alone? The datasheet doesn't give any instructions about that.
I agree. Poor spec sheet. Have you tried to see if they have any application notes that would supply some insight?

This is very badly worded: "*Sense line to be connected to the output under regard of polarity" but I think that they mean that the -Sense must connect to the -Vout and the +Sense must connect to the +Vout.. The Trim pin is a complete mystery. I am guessing that it can be left unconnected if you don't need a precise 12 volts.

This is what I would do: power up the supply without a load that can be damaged by an over voltage. Then check to see if you get 12 volts. If you do measure 12 volts then I think it is safe to apply the load.

If you don't get 12 volts then you should connect the sense pins and check for 12 volts again.

JanTio

Joined Mar 23, 2015
thanks for your suggestion, RichardO.

I crossed my fingers and gave it a try. It works! I get a nice 12 volt, independent of the input voltage, without the Sense or Trim pins wired, and even with or without a load (this converter does indeed need no load to work properly).

BTW I found the application note, which only shows a table of resistor values to trim up or down the output voltage, but does not mention how to wire them.

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
thanks for your suggestion, RichardO.

I crossed my fingers and gave it a try. It works! I get a nice 12 volt, independent of the input voltage, without the Sense or Trim pins wired, and even with or without a load (this converter does indeed need no load to work properly).

BTW I found the application note, which only shows a table of resistor values to trim up or down the output voltage, but does not mention how to wire them.
Thanks for the feedback!

Arrrrrrrg. It seems like they are doing everything they can to keep customers from using their product.

JanTio

Joined Mar 23, 2015
RichardO

I left a message to Tracopower and know what: the morning after I received a very informative e-mail, stating that the datasheet is indeed incomplete and will asap be reviewed.
Tracopower's application manager provided me with all the info needed:
  • the Trim pin can be connected using a resistor to -Vout or +Vout whenever you need a lower or higher output voltage. The application note of the TEN 40-series has an extended table showing the resistor values you need between Trim and one of the Vout pins;
  • The Sense pins should always be connected to their respective Vout pins (+Sense to +Vout, -Sense to -Vout) to ensure correct output voltage.
  • the reason the converter has external Sense pins: in case you need long wires from converter to load, you can sense the voltage on the Load input clamps itself, thus compensating for voltage drop over the wire. One important message: in this case the converter will output a higher voltage and hence higher power, which can overload the converter.
My conclusion: it's not really cheap but it's a marvel of a converter.

Regards,
Jan

RichardO

Joined May 4, 2013
Thanks for the added information. :D

Some power supplies allow the sense pins to be left unconnected. Apparently, not the one you have. Although your test indicates otherwise there may be subtle reasons, such as temperature effects, requiring connection of the pins.

Yes, it does look like a nice unit. Even better now that the manufacturer let you know how to use it properly. :)