Thought for the day...

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Henry Ford once balked at paying $10,000 to General Electric for work done troubleshooting a generator, and asked for an itemized bill. The engineer who performed the work, Charles Steinmetz, sent this: "Making chalk mark on generator, $1. Knowing where to make mark, $9,999." Ford paid the bill.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/charles-proteus-steinmetz-the-wizard-of-schenectady-51912022/
Ford, whose electrical engineers couldn’t solve some problems they were having with a gigantic generator, called Steinmetz in to the plant. Upon arriving, Steinmetz rejected all assistance and asked only for a notebook, pencil and cot. According to Scott, Steinmetz listened to the generator and scribbled computations on the notepad for two straight days and nights. On the second night, he asked for a ladder, climbed up the generator and made a chalk mark on its side. Then he told Ford’s skeptical engineers to remove a plate at the mark and replace sixteen windings from the field coil. They did, and the generator performed to perfection.

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Thought for the day!
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire; you will what you imagine; and at last you create what you will.
--George Bernard Shaw

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Sorry dude - Keanu Reeves doesn't have, and has never had, a Twitter account. Twitter created an account and suspended it on his behalf to cut down on fakes but new ones pop up weekly and memes like this are all over the net. How do you keep getting yourself faked out by the internet? Science, celebrities, ...?

look for this kind of stuff on the fake memes.

715F68C2-26FD-4591-80B5-169FA2CCB0D2.jpeg

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Sorry dude - Keanu Reeves doesn't have, and has never had, a Twitter account. Twitter created an account and suspended it on his behalf to cut down on fakes but new ones pop up weekly and memes like this are all over the net. How do you keep getting yourself faked out by the internet? Science, celebrities, ...?
Thanks for the heads up. I downloaded that image from a LinkedIn account, and didn't verify its authenticity. And fell double hard for it because what it purportedly quotes matches my perception of Mr Reeves' character perfectly (I'm a fan).

OTH, I did some googling trying to find out if he has a tweeter account, and this is what I found. But after you've just said, I can't be 100% certain that it's the real thing.

Last edited:

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
(I'm a fan).
He gets asked about social media during nearly every interview he does. Fan?

OTH, I did some googling trying to find out if he has a tweeter account, and this is what I found. But after you've just said, I can't be 100% certain that it's the real thing.
spend some time googling it or searching Twitter snd you'll likely see a hundred or more different permutations of his name with stray characters and may include the word official. I don't have Twitter but I think there was an SNL skit about it maybe 5-years ago and several comedians have done a bit about it. I didn't know it was new info to anyone.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
He gets asked about social media during nearly every interview he does. Fan?
Fan? yes ... avid follower, or stalker? nope ...

spend some time googling it or searching Twitter snd you'll likely see a hundred or more different permutations of his name with stray characters and may include the word official.
yes, that's what I noticed too ... that's why I said I couldn't be certain for sure if he has a tweeter account, or not ...

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I understand that English is your second language - but "fan" is short for fanatic. I was asking, do you really a keanu reeves fanatic?
*Not* a fanatic ... definitely

As for the difference between those two words, I've seen several opinions over the years:

A fan, according to the American Heritage College Dictionary, is "an ardent devotee, an enthusiast." Fanatic is defined as "a person marked by an extreme unreasoning enthusiasm, as for a cause." The distinction, then, apparently rests on whether the enthusiasm is ardent or unreasoning.
To be clear: If Mr. Reeves makes a movie, I'm definitely going to watch it. That's how much of a "fan" I am. I can't claim I've watched every single one of them, though. And there are some movies that I've liked more than others ... in fact, some of them actually suck. But I like his acting, his demeanor and public persona, and identify with the zealous way that he likes to keep his private life private.

xox

Joined Sep 8, 2017
Almost half a century of fusion power research and yet a Q-total greater than one remains ever elusive. Can we really continue to justify the funding of these costly and unfruitful projects?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Almost half a century of fusion power research and yet a Q-total greater than one remains ever elusive. Can we really continue to justify the funding of these costly and unfruitful projects?

I think they thought the light bulb was illusive. But finally we found success, among others some things have a way to becoming reality, finding what doesn’t comes first.

kv