Thought for the day...

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Just watched a PBS (Public Broadcasting Services) special called "America Lost". Focus was on cities where poverty has run rampant where at one time they were booming towns. Very sad thing to watch.

The fall of the Roman empire was the disintegration of the family unit. It's happening in the US now and has been going on for some time. Which is probably why we're where we are today with racial tension and politics run amuck.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
I attribute a lot of that to the demise of the small family farms that built and supported the small towns. We have evolved from an agrarian society to an industrial one, that still needs to eat, but the small family farms have been industrialized along with everything else. And now, we are moving again from an industrial society to a technical society supported by service industries, which still have to eat. Never-ending cycles of progression (?)... And the landscape and makeup of any country change with it.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Just watched a PBS (Public Broadcasting Services) special called "America Lost". Focus was on cities where poverty has run rampant where at one time they were booming towns. Very sad thing to watch.

The fall of the Roman empire was the disintegration of the family unit. It's happening in the US now and has been going on for some time. Which is probably why we're where we are today with racial tension and politics run amuck.
I would've hit the "like" button on your last post, except that I do not like what you've just described.

So I'll clarify here that I strongly agree with what you've said.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006

We are where we are because the fundamental problems that have been with us since the founding of the republic have not been addressed in a meaningful way. They have only been swept under the rug. 1968 looked like the end of the world, as did 1941, as did 1861, and so on. There is still a substantial cohort of the population that does not believe in addressing those fundamental problems and think they can continue to ignore them and force them to a minimal level of aggravation.

They are literally hoping that by following the same strategies that have failed for 200+ years they can achieve their desired results.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The fall of the Roman empire was the disintegration of the family unit.
But I doubt the one and only cause, just one symptom of many..
As a avid reader of history, one thing I have learned is that many historical events are rarely caused by one simple explanation, it is so often a culmination of events.
The fall of the Roman empire was a prime example.
In current world affairs, for example, we are so often fed 'facts' that are politically expedient. So that is all we know? ;)
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The fall of the Roman empire was a prime example.
From what I understand, the fall of the Roman empire was mainly due to demographics. It's population went down due to the loss of coherence in the nuclear family, until there weren't enough soldiers to defend it when the Goths and barbarians invaded them.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
One reason along those lines is that much of the population was approaching a state of decadence due to Romes prosperity, they balked at extra taxes in order to fund the armies. this together with the general loss of slaves, (Rome at its height, had a population of slaves double that of all Romans).
There was a general culmination of reasons in all..
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The demise of Spanish empire was close comparison, they became so dependent on the wealth created by the amount of gold extracted out of the Americas, virtually eradicated their need in trade, and consequent production.
Max.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
The demise of Spanish empire was close comparison, they became so dependent on the wealth created by the amount of gold extracted out of the Americas, virtually eradicated their need in trade, and consequent production.
Max.
Also, they extracted so much silver from Mexico (that was later destined for China) that their economy suffered a runaway inflation effect, resulting in it being a factor to a later economic decline.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
We are currently witnessing the same in the collapse of the UK that has been so focused on The City of London as a global financial centre. When the crap hits the fan you can't eat money.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Also, they extracted so much silver from Mexico (that was later destined for China) that their economy suffered a runaway inflation effect, resulting in it being a factor to a later economic decline.
One book I had read on the history of the Bahamas related the details of the pope of that time issuing a Papal Bull attempting to maintain a monopoly of the gold by Spain.
He drew a line right down the side of the Americas and declared that no ship, except of Spanish colours shall cross this line.
I just wish I could have heard the remarks by the Dutch, French and English captains when they got word of this! :D :D
Max.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
One thing, largely unrecognized, is that homogeneous societies have inherent vulnerabilities and weaknesses.
Building a heterogeneous society is a tricky business, but well worth the effort, given the inherent strength.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
One thing, largely unrecognized, is that homogeneous societies have inherent vulnerabilities and weaknesses.
Building a heterogeneous society is a tricky business, but well worth the effort, given the inherent strength.
Social monocultures are always bad. The inevitable outcome is stagnation, leading to decline.

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
anybody who still wants to become and American can do so
Reminds me of my Swedish friend Bengt who told me of Poles coming to Sweden on Holiday and committing crimes in order to be sent to prison. The Poles considered life in prison in Sweden as better than life in Poland under USSR control at that time. After all, life is always better on the other side of the fence to paraphrase a bit.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Reminds me of my Swedish friend Bengt who told me of Poles coming to Sweden on Holiday and committing crimes in order to be sent to prison. The Poles considered life in prison in Sweden as better than life in Poland under USSR control at that time. After all, life is always better on the other side of the fence to paraphrase a bit.
The grass always looks greener in the other pasture, until you walk up to fence that divides the two and suddenly the grass in the other pasture turns to a disgusting shade of baby crap brown. There have not been many countries throughout human history where you could go and become a citizen of that country.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Turned out pretty fair for me, not that I need anything greener, just something new!
Virtually tossed a coin between Australia and Canada, both great countries.!
Max.