Text editor for HDL

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Hello

So far I've been using Xilinx ISE as a text editor and all the other stuff needed to generate a bin file that is uploaded into my FPGA Mojo dev board using another third party application.

My problem is the Text editor which is as bland as carboard and I was wondering if I can use another text editor to write the code , but use the ISE for all the rest of the workflow.
Is there a text editor for Verilog that will show me code errors etc ( syntax errors etc) in real time and perhaps actually color code the various elements of the code?

How would something like this work? (a detailed workflow explanation would be appreciated).

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I´m usually switching between the ISE and notepad++. I use the notepad especially when I want to get correct indenting and begin end highlighting to find where the hell the code ends. ISE is mainly just for minor changes, not very good for complete overhauls.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
Yeah, I find myself developing most of my text-based designs in Notepad++, whether I'm programming, writing HDL, or whatever other task crops up, both professionally and in my spare time.

It may not have built in error detection, but you can configure it to run a compile on your code, which will return any errors you may get - you'd just need to find the compiler program and figure out how to use it from the command line...

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Does it have context based colour coding? That is really valuable, once you have it it's hard to go back to black and white code.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Okay nice , so I've hooked up notepad++ as the text editor in ISE (with help from here) so now any text files I open in the ISE open directly in the notepad .

I see that notepad ++ has quite a few plugins and a few specific ones for HDLs . Could someone advise what I should take a look at or what could be useful for me?

>> THE_RB : Yes it has context based colour coding and they have a few different pretty themes to choose from.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Another vote for Notepad++ here. I use it exclusively for almost all of my coding. Definitely one of my favorite editors!