Switching Potentiometers?

Caio Henrique

Joined May 27, 2019
hey, guys!

I'm new here so if I make any mistakes, please forgive me and let me know so I can avoid them in the future*

I've got a circuit with 2(A and B), but I want to add 2 other pots(C and D) to add a "preset". If I wanted to switch between pot A to C I could just use a 3pdt but since I want to choose between A + B or C + D I thought about using ICs.
The problem is that I don't know much about them.
Can I use a SN74HC4066N and send the result of 2 pots(A and C) to an input of the IC and get the desired pot by pressing a switch?

Tonyr1084

Joined Sep 24, 2015
Welcome to AAC.

If you're looking to flip a switch (foot switch - etc) you could add in a series resistor to change the value of the pot, then use the switch(es) to bypass the additional resistor, thus changing the amplitude of the output. [edit] OK, here's what I'm thinking based on what I imagine you're doing:

The switch bypasses the extra resistor, restoring full volume control. When the switch is open the resistor changes the volume (lower) for that muted effect. If you put the resistor and switch on the other side, when the switch is open you should get louder volume (not louder than original). All depends on how you hook it up. This way you're not using any preset pots, though you could. A simple bypass switch DPST or DPDT will bypass two resistors which are modifying the signal from the pot. This way you're not switching control from one set of pots to another. That is doable but this way is fewer parts and fewer connections. Should be easier and more reliable.
zz modified pot.png

Last edited:

Caio Henrique

Joined May 27, 2019
Thanks, guys!
You helped a lot though I didn't solve it yet.

Tonyr1084 that's a great idea, but I want to swap the pots instead of changing to a stationary value. So I can actually set two separate configurations on the pots and change it if needed.
And I thought about the 4066 and it won't work as I suggested. I need an IC with 2 inputs and 1 output, as some sort of A/B box.
Signal A and B(the pots) go to inputs 1 and 2 and I select one of them with a button. Do you know any chip I could use? Or circuit that may help me?

Caio Henrique

Joined May 27, 2019
Hey, Bertus!
Thanks for the quick reply.
Looks good, but I'm not sure they're the gonna work.
I was stupid enough not to tell you, all I need is some sort of 3pdt or, at least an spdt ic.

EDIT: Gave it an extra thought and the CD4053 might work!
I'll run some tests and check it out!

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

There are three switches in the 4053:

cd5053_function diagram.png

The inputs A,B and C will control the switches.
When you connect them together, all three switches will change at the same time.
The Inhibit input will disable any signal to pass.

Bertus