Suggestion about AAC Daily Statistics

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
The AAC daily statistics thread looked pretty cool at first (and thanks for that Geo) but it's become obvious that the first 5 lines are likely never going to change. So, it's basically a daily update on SgtWookie's post count. Could all these stats be changed to "...of the day"? for example: "top poster of the day" "most viewed thread of the day" etc. Or maybe I've missed the point of the thread entirely?

Sorry to pick nits, I know its sort of like "you try to do something nice and all people do is complain about it" - But I don't get it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Basically, it's because that info was readily available to me through the vBulletin software. I already left out the "newest member" because it was rather a matter of seconds.

If I find an easy way to add the categories you suggested I 'll do it.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Hi Georacer,
I was wondering, you might look into a script to retrieve the statistics for you and post them daily
might save you a bit of work
If you feel adventurous you could also have it store data in an xml table and have it automatically analyze it at the last day of each month.

just a thought :)
(and I like the analysis, it's good to know that the site is ever-growing :) )

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
It will have to open the admin panel, input my codes, and then open 5 different links to find the statistics for each type. Then look up the day in a graph list.

I 'm not too into programming, but I think it won't be too easy.

For now, it's manual method and excel, and I don't think another mod will do it. Tough luck.

P.S. Alexa provides stats from much longer ago, but not with daily resolution. Plus it's good to have your own database.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
When we have a peak record day it would be interesting to denote that somehow.

I would love to know if it is plain growth, or if there is a trigger for these events.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Wait for the analysis of the next month.

And now for the phrase I always love to say:

According to my calculations, by the end of the week, there are good chances that record will break again, namely on Friday. I cannot track guest visits, and I refuse to use external data (eg alexa), but I can speak extrapolating registered user traffic.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Scratch that; Excel formula error.

Tuesday is the peak day for new registrations and user activity.

We 'll have to wait for next week now.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
You ask a lot from my dedicated group of programmers. But I promise there will be a bunch of new metrics and graphs at the end of the month.

Wookie's rate has dropped significantly lately, due to the known reasons. Are you talking about a complete history tracking of his posting career?

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Not really his entire past, but I think that as the top poster, it would be interesting to begin tracking it. You already post it every day anyway.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't think I can find anything more interesting than his average posting, which is available in his profile statistics already, but I 'll give it a look.

1chance

Joined Nov 26, 2011
I really enjoyed perusing the data and charts. Geo, you did a great job! Thanks also for the explanations. I did spend more than the 5 minutes that you allowed us though!
The number of members will always be increasing since there is no way to account for "deaths". This factor is hard to adjust for as rarely does one know why members stop posting. I guess you could possibly factor in some kind of world-wide death rate. My only reason for bringing this up is that the member count is artificially inflated as "once a member, always a member".

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Thanks for the compliments.

I have discussed this inflation before with another person. The world death rate wouldn't be enough, as I would account a member dead if he wouldn't visit anymore.
Moreover, no-one can know when someone would return to AAC after a long absence.
Finally, would you count someone a member if he had simply registered but only browsed the e-book in a weekly basis?

That said, I choose to leave all the registered members in the sum. We compare to the other sites by that same flowed number, anyway.

We do have a more realistic number to describe the membership and that is the daily traffic.
There also is the "user activity" stat, but I don't really know what this describes. My guess is that it logs how many members have logged in at least once during a day.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Georacer ,You helped with the E- books,great,I like your open style of being close to the

members,yet at same time doing whats right.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Update!

I went into a posting spree today! I was too bored to do anything else today, so I caught up with my excel database. All 90 days of them. I hadn't logged anything since the 27th of March.

That was the easy part. Afterwards, I had to expand the Fourier analysis graphs, since we had gone from over 64 to over 128 entries. It took me a little while to remember how I did it. The new monthly graphs were easy too.

The hardest part, though, was to post all of this daily data into the Stats thread. We were talking about manually entering four different values for each day. I wasn't going to go through that. That's why I improvised a table in the excel document that returned me a ready-to-post message, based on the day number. Increase that number and you have your next-day message. I managed to post over 90 posts in less than 15 minutes.

That's it for today. The reports will be uploaded some other day, don't know when, but I hope that rush will remain for a while.

Oh, and I 'm afraid Wookie's post count has taken a huge leap, caused by me not tracking it during those 3 months. Lost info, nothing I can do about it now.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I went on a posting spree again today. But this time I created the missing end-of-the-month reports I had promised.
They are short reports that track only the known data and give their mean values BUT the report of July is extensive and makes comparisons with the previous ones.

I created a list of the existing reports in the first post of the AAC Statistics thread.

Please tell me what you think.